Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carbon fiber spoiler and dirt on the tailgate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Andrew

Supporting Member
Mar 11, 2013
Santa Monica, CA
I was just reading through a thread in which some owners were looking to add spoilers to their non-performance S's, and saw a comment about reduced range because of the increased drag. That got me thinking about the airflow and dirt: I've noticed on our Model S (sans spoiler) that a lot of dirt/dust collects on the back of the tailgate/car/bumper area.

I'm curious: Anyone with spoilers find that to be an issue (however minor) as well? Or does the spoiler change the airflow enough to keep the tailgate cleaner? (If it does, that seems like a good incentive to add a spoiler! :) )

This morning I discovered (and geeked out on) the National Geographic "Megafactories" episode about the Tesla Factory... At 14:17 in the video, they show a short clip of the airflow around the car. If you look carefully, you can see the upward movement of air along the backside of the car. Guess that explains the dirt collection (and why the spoiler doesn't help).

Megafactories Tesla Model S (English) - YouTube

(Also, makes me a bit disappointed we didn't pick up our Model S at the factory and get the tour! Ahh, well...)