Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carplay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Tesla can't implement CarPlay/Android Auto, I wish they would just implement Apple's older car integration feature, "Siri Eyes Free." Instead of tapping the dictation button now to access the car's voice controls, you could hold it for two seconds and it would activate Siri via the car's bluetooth connection. This would increase safety by avoiding drivers picking up their phones to push the button on their phone. This would also Tesla to maintain their voice control system for regular car functions such as Navigation but allow driver's to ask Siri to perform tasks as well. This way, no third party has access to the car's control systems and Tesla maintains their security.

Reactions: Sambas
Like others, I've used Carplay in rentals and wasn't impressed, at all. Too mothering. Assuming the correct security and containerization of apps, I do wish Tesla would live up to their promise of having an 'app store'. They're significant enough now that developers would go for it. All my phone does in the car is play Spotify, and display Waze. That's it. So if both of those made it into the Tesla UI, I'd be happy.

Reactions: PrGrPa and Sambas
We rented a Suburban last week - with an onboard navigation system that claimed it had real time traffic information.

After several routes with the onboard software, we gave up and enabled Android Auto and shifted to using the Google navigation software on our Android phone - which was an improvement over GM's navigation software, and did much better in working around the heavy traffic in LA.

Whether they use CarPlay, AA, or a different screen mirroring solution - Tesla has to do something. Smartphone integration is falling further and further behind - and having drivers using their smartphones while the car is in motion is not only a safety problem, it's illegal in a growing number of areas.

Even if they don't plan to release anything soon - they could at least indicate what they are planning to do - which would shift this conversation from "wouldn't it be nice if they xxx" to "how much longer do we have to wait for it?"...

The Bolt has CapPlay & AA - and it's likely that the competing long range EVs will also have similar or the same functionality - can Tesla really afford to wait much longer before doing something about this???

We're operating on Elon time. Elon is notoriously optimistic about timing. I'm sure he thinks Level 5 autonomy is just around the corner (as in next year) but the reality is it is at the most optimistic 5+ years away. As more states pass restrictions on drivers operating handheld devices and to prevent Tesla drivers from becoming scofflaws, it becomes critical Tesla provide a means of controlling some apps on personal phones via the center screen. Someone earlier proposed using only a portion of the screen. That is fine with me as I really only want access to my music and podcast applications so I can scroll through and choose things. I really don't need to see anythings else since telephone integration is already there.

We're operating on Elon time. Elon is notoriously optimistic about timing. I'm sure he thinks Level 5 autonomy is just around the corner (as in next year) but the reality is it is at the most optimistic 5+ years away.

It's funny but sad at the same time when Elon himself admitted to not always delivering on his timing of things, this time in regards to when Model 3 design studio will be open to non-employees:
Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 10.38.57 PM.png

Like others, I've used Carplay in rentals and wasn't impressed, at all.
This week I had the opportunity for the first time to use Apple CarPlay (in an ICE rental, a VW Tiguan, which is a horrible experience but that is a topic for another thread!).

I was not impressed with CarPlay. I don't feel like it did anything useful for me. I would rather just use my iPhone directly in a phone mount on the dash, like I do in my Roadster and my X.

Reactions: MP3Mike and PrGrPa
I mainly have my phone mounted when I need directions to navigate somewhere since the maps in Tesla does not give time efficient routes. Since I also find phone mounts to be obtrusive with them sticking out from the dash, I use one that's not very prominent and aesthetically pleasing with its magnetic holder. If only it had the wireless charging technology embedded as well.
71IOAg9xcXL._SL1500_.jpg

This one works pretty well for me. I have it mounted just to the right of the screen.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073PRPRNN
I like the looks and functionality of that mount. Could you please post a photo of your phone in that mount in your Tesla? I didn't realize a magnetic mount would work in that area of the dash.

Edit: just realized that a magnetic mount may not work with the iPhone X I plan to buy soon, since it has a glass back.

You realize you have to stick the mount to your phone or case... or have a case with steel liner.

No you don't. I just put the thin metal 'puck' on the inside of my case (plastic back w/ silicon inner sleeve). I never took off the sticky tape or anything. Works fine. Now, having your iphone not in a case - that's just crazy - but if you do - yeah, you have to stick the metal puck thing to the back of it (it's really thin though).

Sorry to beat a dead beaten horse, but ..

As Tesla owners, should we politely but as a group, request Tesla that they should offer better phone integration on the world's most hi-tech car? When Elon asked suggestions for 7.0, carplay was the #1 requested feature. And it's a shame that the #1 requested feature is being ignored completely.

Benefits,
1. Safer if you don't have to look at your phone
2. More features that benefit EVERY Tesla owner, not just the ones with the newest hardware
3. Better music player, nav, voice controls, basically everything so Tesla can focus their time on things like AP.
4. Makes us not jealous of a Toyota corolla.

If we were to make such a request to Tesla, what would be the best avenue?

I am driving a rental/loaner with CarPlay and Android Auto for a few days. I really, really dislike them.

CarPlay completely prevents anything other than the useless Apple Maps from being used. It also does not allow me to play audio using anything other that the few compatible apps. I find it completely unusable.

Android Auto is slightly better in one way: it offers Waze integration. It is not nearly as good as just using the app, but it is usable. Everything else about it is just ugly.

Using either brings the navigation map below your field of vision when you drive. I much prefer to have the nav running on my phone, which is mounted high in my field of vision while driving.

I like the way Tesla's setup works much better. I would want to use neither Apple Carplay, nor Android Auto.

Be careful what you wish for!

Last edited:
I like the looks and functionality of that mount. Could you please post a photo of your phone in that mount in your Tesla? I didn't realize a magnetic mount would work in that area of the dash.

Edit: just realized that a magnetic mount may not work with the iPhone X I plan to buy soon, since it has a glass back.

My phone is my camera but here’s the mount as it’s angled towards me (and away so you can get a sense of its size). Imagine phone on top angled in and parallel to screen.
ZHlS8pZiQNOaoWfd3InDEw.jpg vECP9eiXTzalW71Zi1fhkA.jpg

At this point, Tesla should have enough resources to allocate even a small number of developers on fixing the bugs, design flaws and missing features in the onboard software.

Does it really take a year to fix the XM radio problems - and put back basic features like a station slider and the station categories list?
I actually found the categories, they are at the bottom of the Favorites list. Still no way to direct-dial a channel number with a slider or a num-pad!

I actually found the categories, they are at the bottom of the Favorites list. Still no way to direct-dial a channel number with a slider or a num-pad!

If you have a car with XM built since 8.0 was released and you have the station/category list, you may be in a small group that has the XM station list.

Some of us have been able to get the station list for a brief time, before it again disappeared.

So far, it doesn't appear there's anything the Service Centers can do to fix this problem - we're (still) waiting for Tesla to fix this bug.

The removal of the XM station slider in 8.0 is puzzling. The station slider is still present for AM & FM, and removing it for only the XM, coupled with the station list bug has made XM very difficult to use when trying to find a specific channel (such as live sports broadcasts).