Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carport with integrated Tesla solar roof, Powerwall and charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to see Tesla offer a carport with integrated solar roof, Powerwall and charger, all- in-one. What do you think?

I have made a drawing to illustrate my thoughts.
Residential Solar Carport - 1 page.png

I love the idea but I agree that there are some concerns:

1) Permit: solar panels that are not on a roof (stand alone, on the ground, even hidden in the backyard...) are frequently targeted by neighbors and must be taken down by city's order.

2) Cost: Maybe it's still cheaper for on-roof solar panels to generate electricity for the whole house including car charging.

• Love
Reactions: Ampster
Thanks, for the comments.

@ewoodrick, I think the cost will be way below @$40k as you can see from my estimates (~$21k - ~$28k) You right, it´s quite of an investment. I think incentives will be given in some cases to offload the grid, or to push EVs. E.G. in Norway EV incentives are so good that ~75% of car sold in Norway in September was BEVs or PHEVs.

There are issues with residential charging. Some people does not have the possibility to charge at home E.G. outside parking at apartment buildings. The buildings may have restrictions to install solar panels on the building’s roof, and the electrical installation may be difficult and costly to upgrade.

Almost every household in Norway owns a cottage or a recreation home, and many does not have the possibility to charge their car. Typical, at Weekends and Holidays there are queues at the charging points, and many are longing for at charging point at their cottage or recreation home, so they don´t need to stop an charge on the way. The price tag on their cottages or recreation homes are quite high, so many will probably consider to increase their mortgage by 10% to install a charging solution.

As you also see in my drawing, that the carport should have the option to connect to the grid. That will attracting more possible buyers.

I did some estimates based on the following assumptions (unfortunately in metric;)):
  • The size of the Carport has to fit an TMX with the falcon wing open
  • Roof: W 2400mm, D 5200mm, H 1500 mm
  • Columns: W 150mm, D 100mm, H 2400 mm
  • Foundation: W 2400mm, D 5200mm, H 300 – 500 mm
  • The frame of the roof, columns and foundation has to be solid and probably in steel: ~$1k
  • The solar panel on the roof will have the size of 6 x IBC Poly 275 CS5 (992mm x 1650 mm), just to have some comparison Tesla should match: ~ $1k
  • Battery, charger, inverter and all other electronics should fit into the frame of the foundation: ~$1k
  • Battery is the most cost driving – How large battery do you need?
    • TMS/X 100: < 60kWh battery, when charge from 20% to 80%
      • 4 x Powerwall á 13.5 kWh = 54kWh ~$25k
    • TMS/X 75: < 45kWh battery, when charge from 20% to 80%
      • 3 x Powerwall á 13.5 kWh = 40.5kWh ~$18k
  • Tesla has probably quite good margins on its products and could cut some of the cost

@Tam, I don´t know much of the regulations in California, but in Norway they are quite liberal. In Norway you could set up a building < 50 sqm on your property without applying permission. You only needs to inform.

Regarding cost: You will have higher installation cost if you install on-roof solar panel on existing building, and you need the grid for “storage” instead of the battery. Then it depends on the prices you get when selling and buying electricity. You may be better off doing it this way if you can.

Do I understand correctly you are talking about 1.9kW of solar panels? (6x275=1950) How many kWhrs of energy do you expect to generate in a year at your latitude?
My thought as well. This site contains some relevant info Solar Energy Potential at northern latitudes | Off Grid Explorer to which needs to be added the substantial reduction in output due to the panels being nearly horizontal. However, the car port concept would make sense in the tropics where the sun is almost overhead.

California is set to start requiring solar on new homes so in coming decades this will be a non issue.

However we also have quakes, micro climates, and rising seas...

Microclimates means your ability to generate solar could be radically different if your in a fog bank the guy 3 houses down doesn’t have...

The idea looks neat but I think this is more how future superchargers should be... covered with a large solar roof...

Private homes in the next two decades are likely to go increasingly solar overall, with roofs getting re-engineered to fit anywhere climate allows for enough sun.

The idea looks neat but I think this is more how future superchargers should be... covered with a large solar roof...
In another thread I posted the following math. One square foot of solar panel in direct sunlight will produce 20 Watts. Therefore to produce 100 kiloWatts it woul take 5000 sq ft of solar panels or an array measuring 50 by 100 feet. In metric that is about 8 meters by 34 meters.

Notice the name on the edge of the solar panels. Envision has been making these L2 / Solar / Battery freestanding stations for quite a while. They even made a DCFC version with more battery for a couple California rest stops. However, they can't tolerate much use, so they will be installing a grid connection so that they can be used at night after the batteries are depleted.

In another thread I posted the following math. One square foot of solar panel in direct sunlight will produce 20 Watts. Therefore to produce 100 kiloWatts it woul take 5000 sq ft of solar panels or an array measuring 50 by 100 feet. In metric that is about 8 meters by 34 meters.
Why are you talking about 100kW? I have a 5.4kW PV array consisting of 16 SunPower panels totaling 290 square feet. That is enough to power my house and charge my MS (In SoCal, so Much lower latitude than Norway) with several thousand kWh sold back to the PoCo at year's end. OP's carport could probably support as many as 12 panels for a 3.6kW array.