Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cars with Cell Phone Smarts or Cell Phones with Wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

T3slaOwner

Member Extraordinaire
Aug 2, 2019
Pennsylvania
I like some of the features in my model X. But it's not so cool to be driving a car that is no more reliable than my cell phone. Just yesterday I am heading for an appointment with a new doctor and the map seems to be hung. I do the two thumb reset and the entire car display goes blank for minutes. Normally it comes back up quickly, but this time it didn't come up at all and I had to switch to navigating with the cell phone. In the neighboring state it is illegal to have your cell in your hand at all.

The doors on my car don't open fully many times and I can't get the service center to fix it since they can't reproduce the symptoms. That's true of many things. They won't fix the drive line shudder. They won't fix the brown outline on the display.

Instead of driving a car with a lot of cool features I feel like I have a cell phone with wheels and all the quirkiness and inconvenience that entails.

Smiling widely, while I have not had all of your challenges I have experienced a few of my own: while I don’t know what year your model is, mine is a 2019 and I share the same issue with the rear doors and the trunk. Randomly they will open all the way and then other times they do not. Same can be said of my remote...sometimes it works and other times it does not. Service calls are the same for me. I have not had any issues with the map or the brown line other than to say it is slow while driving to tell me or show me where to turn.
I also do not have any “drive line shudder” ; not sure what that is but can say the ride is very smooth and quiet.
A big issue for me is the over sensitive autopilot and hard deceleration when approaching vehicles which are on my right. I hardly even use it now until I can get it a service call to my house.

Smiling widely, while I have not had all of your challenges I have experienced a few of my own: while I don’t know what year your model is, mine is a 2019 and I share the same issue with the rear doors and the trunk. Randomly they will open all the way and then other times they do not. Same can be said of my remote...sometimes it works and other times it does not. Service calls are the same for me. I have not had any issues with the map or the brown line other than to say it is slow while driving to tell me or show me where to turn.
I also do not have any “drive line shudder” ; not sure what that is but can say the ride is very smooth and quiet.
A big issue for me is the over sensitive autopilot and hard deceleration when approaching vehicles which are on my right. I hardly even use it now until I can get it a service call to my house.

There are two issues which potentially all owners can have that are rather significant. The "yellow" or in my case brown outline is just that, about a quarter inch border on the LCD that apparently is due to the touch screen glue darkening. In mine and other's cases this happens literally overnight, but I don't know if that is universal. Tesla is claiming it is not a warranty issue because it is "cosmetic". lol There are long threads about this.

The driveline shudder is more significant. On my car a significant vibration sets in around 30 to 35 mph under acceleration although it doesn't have to be hard acceleration. Sometimes it can be very severe. The time it was the worst I was accelerating rather gently. I actually took my foot off the pedal thinking something was going to break. I'm told Tesla now has a fix for it, although they haven't contacted me about it. I took my car in to repair this months ago. Again, there are long standing threads about this.

I have had the car computer crash and lockup any number of times. When it is the worst you have to hold the brake pedal down while pressing the two steering wheel thumb wheels to do a full reboot of the car. This requires the car to be stopped. Otherwise you can hold the two thumb wheels without pressing the brake pedal and perform a lesser reboot while still driving.

This the kind of goofy stuff that makes me think of the car as a cell phone with wheels.

BTW, my avatar seems to have a small green triangle in the upper left corner. Am I the only one who sees that? It's not part of the avatar but something the web site is putting over top. Is it some sort of flag?

There are two issues which potentially all owners can have that are rather significant. The "yellow" or in my case brown outline is just that, about a quarter inch border on the LCD that apparently is due to the touch screen glue darkening. In mine and other's cases this happens literally overnight, but I don't know if that is universal. Tesla is claiming it is not a warranty issue because it is "cosmetic". lol There are long threads about this.

The driveline shudder is more significant. On my car a significant vibration sets in around 30 to 35 mph under acceleration although it doesn't have to be hard acceleration. Sometimes it can be very severe. The time it was the worst I was accelerating rather gently. I actually took my foot off the pedal thinking something was going to break. I'm told Tesla now has a fix for it, although they haven't contacted me about it. I took my car in to repair this months ago. Again, there are long standing threads about this.

I have had the car computer crash and lockup any number of times. When it is the worst you have to hold the brake pedal down while pressing the two steering wheel thumb wheels to do a full reboot of the car. This requires the car to be stopped. Otherwise you can hold the two thumb wheels without pressing the brake pedal and perform a lesser reboot while still driving.

This the kind of goofy stuff that makes me think of the car as a cell phone with wheels.

BTW, my avatar seems to have a small green triangle in the upper left corner. Am I the only one who sees that? It's not part of the avatar but something the web site is putting over top. Is it some sort of flag?

The display yellowing has a "fix", a UV device. There is a thread on it. When I was in the SC for a replacement tire they said there are 2 or 3 prototypes running around now, and 50 or so on order. They were hoping to get one next year, and put me on the list for the "treatment". Not sure if it is a permanent or temporary fix, like Botox.

FWIW, I always do a full (foot on brake) reboot after every on air update. Decades working on computer systems leaves me wary of anyone that comes in with a problem and has not done a cold boot. BTW, other cars have a boot sequence. I did them when I installed updates via USB on my Ford Escape and BMWs.

Last edited:
Reactions: KerryOH
The display yellowing has a "fix", a UV device. There is a thread on it. When I was in the SC for a replacement tire they said there are 2 or 3 prototypes running around now, and 50 or so on order. They were hoping to get one next year, and put me on the list for the "treatment". Not sure if it is a permanent or temporary fix, like Botox.

FWIW, I always do a full (foot on brake) reboot after every on air update. Decades working on computer systems leaves me wary of anyone that comes in with a problem and has not done a cold boot. BTW, other cars have a boot sequence. I did them when I installed updates via USB on my Ford Escape and BMWs.

Tesla will not say the UV light treatment "fixes" the problem. In fact, I believe they specifically say if it returns any further treatment is on the owner. If that's a "fix", it's not much of one.

BTW, I'm pretty confident the update automatically does a full reboot, just like updating Windows or your cell phone. I can't see a purpose to doing a second reboot. Do you reboot your PC or cell phone a second time after an update?