Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS adapter retrofit now available for Model 3 & Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla's CCS Combo 1 Adapter page now shows availability of the retrofit for Model 3 and Model Y for $350.

I haven't found any discussion of this and am not sure when the it became available. I'm considering this for my late-2021 MYLR - one of the MYs that was made with the "stripped" ECU without CCS support. More charging options can't be a bad thing!

I had the CCS-compatible ECU upgrade installed today. A painless install by a mobile tech at my home. Haven't tested the CCS compatibility yet, but have verified that it shows as enabled in the Additional vehicle information display in the menu/setting.

I had the retrofit installed on my 2018 LR M3 on April 2. It was $350, scheduled as a mobile service at home. Everything went smoothly. I tested it at a nearby Chargepoint CCS charger and it was disappointingly slow because the battery wasn't pre-conditioned. For CCS to be really useful, there needs to be a way to easily pre-condition the battery. A simple switch in the app would work. I can share a destination from the Plugshare app or Google Maps from my phone to the car. A switch to pre-condition the battery at the destination would work.

One reason I got the CCS retrofit was to ensure I could charge at third party stations with NACS connectors. The CCS to NACS adapter will be unnecessary at that point, but the car still needs to be able to use the CCS protocol.

A 1,200 mile road trip in a Leaf SV+ a couple of years ago is what persuaded me to get my M3. I was never stranded, but charging was frequently a pain. If Tesla charging goes to hell, my next car will be a PHEV.

I have a 2021 Model 3(built in July) and decided to get the CCS adaptor + Retrofit since the retrofit will be necessary for me to utilize 3rd party NACS chargers. I noticed that the adaptor is not available on the Tesla app anymore. I can add it to my cart via the web browser and it actually states "THIS ACCESSORY IS COMPATIBLE WITH YOUR 2020 MODEL 3" even though I have a 2021. Any one else able to replicate these two issues?

I was under the impression that I would need to pay $350.00 for the adaptor + retrofit. My car missed the inclusion of the CCS compatibility by a couple of months. I can confirm my car shows "Not Installed" under Additional Info section.

Thanks!

I have a 2021 Model 3(built in July) and decided to get the CCS adaptor + Retrofit since the retrofit will be necessary for me to utilize 3rd party NACS chargers. I noticed that the adaptor is not available on the Tesla app anymore. I can add it to my cart via the web browser and it actually states "THIS ACCESSORY IS COMPATIBLE WITH YOUR 2020 MODEL 3" even though I have a 2021. Any one else able to replicate these two issues?

I was under the impression that I would need to pay $350.00 for the adaptor + retrofit. My car missed the inclusion of the CCS compatibility by a couple of months. I can confirm my car shows "Not Installed" under Additional Info section.

Thanks!

Many people who did the retrofit didnt order the adapter itself through the tesla shop, we put in a service request for the retrofit in the Tesla app. I am not sure what the cutoff is for people who need to get it via a service request vs purchasing the adapter, but try it with the service request method.

Reactions: Acps110
Many people who did the retrofit didnt order the adapter itself through the tesla shop, we put in a service request for the retrofit in the Tesla app. I am not sure what the cutoff is for people who need to get it via a service request vs purchasing the adapter, but try it with the service request method.
Funny enough, I tried to schedule a service appointment and it shows "Upgrades & Accessories (1)" and shows the CCS adaptor. When I get to the scheduling portion it just errors out. I will give it another shot. Did it cost you anything?

Funny enough, I tried to schedule a service appointment and it shows "Upgrades & Accessories (1)" and shows the CCS adaptor. When I get to the scheduling portion it just errors out. I will give it another shot. Did it cost you anything?

Yeah, it was $350 for the retrofit, including the CCS adapter. Note that this is for my 2018 model 3 performance though. I already had purchased a CCS adapter for my wifes model Y so I didnt really need another one, but they wont currently let you get the retrofit without the adapter.

You can check the threads mentioned in post 2 in this thread for lots of discussion on the retrofit.

All in all its not that bad a deal since you get an adapter and the retrofit. No idea why its erroring out for you, many people here have been able to get one through the service avenue.

Yeah, it was $350 for the retrofit, including the CCS adapter. Note that this is for my 2018 model 3 performance though. I already had purchased a CCS adapter for my wifes model Y so I didnt really need another one, but they wont currently let you get the retrofit without the adapter.

You can check the threads mentioned in post 2 in this thread for lots of discussion on the retrofit.

All in all its not that bad a deal since you get an adapter and the retrofit. No idea why its erroring out for you, many people here have been able to get one through the service avenue.
I just tried it again, and when I submit the request, it asks me to approve the cost estimate and the only item on there is to check my tires. Then it errors out when I actually try and schedule it. I added a tire rotation to it, and it lets me schedule now but it removes anything regarding the CCS retrofit. Odd.

I just tried it again, and when I submit the request, it asks me to approve the cost estimate and the only item on there is to check my tires. Then it errors out when I actually try and schedule it. I added a tire rotation to it, and it lets me schedule now but it removes anything regarding the CCS retrofit. Odd.

I wonder if its supposed to be free for your car because of its age or something? No idea on why you cant order it either through the shop or via service.

I wonder if its supposed to be free for your car because of its age or something? No idea on why you cant order it either through the shop or via service.
Not sure! I cannot locate it via the Tesla app, but I can find it on the browser version of the store. I can add it to my cart and it even shows on my tesla app once in the cart. It is only charging me $250.00 though.

Not sure! I cannot locate it via the Tesla app, but I can find it on the browser version of the store. I can add it to my cart and it even shows on my tesla app once in the cart. It is only charging me $250.00 though.
That cost is just the adapter, at least it was when I purchased "just the adapter" for my wifes car which is a 2022 model Y that was already ccs capable.

That cost is just the adapter, at least it was when I purchased "just the adapter" for my wifes car which is a 2022 model Y that was already ccs capable.
Yup, it's showing that my 2020 model 3 is compatible but I sold that and transferred that car in 2021. I only have a 2021 model 3 now. I made the service appointment and reached out to Tesla service so we shall see what they say. Thanks for the info!

Reactions: jjrandorin
I tested it at a nearby Chargepoint CCS charger and it was disappointingly slow because the battery wasn't pre-conditioned. For CCS to be really useful, there needs to be a way to easily pre-condition the battery.
If there's a Supercharger on my route, I will use it. There are places, mainly on secondary roads, where there is a CCS charger and no Supercharger.
OK, so I mentioned you can use a local Supercharger to activate Pre-conditioning so you don't drive to a local CCS like you mentioned you did and get slow charging. You then tell me you will never do that, so you'll never have slow charging because you'll only be using it when on a road trip many miles from home. So no need to pre-condition.

Tesla's CCS Combo 1 Adapter page now shows availability of the retrofit for Model 3 and Model Y for $350.

I haven't found any discussion of this and am not sure when the it became available. I'm considering this for my late-2021 MYLR - one of the MYs that was made with the "stripped" ECU without CCS support. More charging options can't be a bad thing!

Hmmm, I don't remember your car getting a $350 discount when they didn't install this to begin with... as someone who got this from the factory at no extra cost I think it should be a no cost upgrade for those that missed out. Of course, you should still pay for the adapter itself like the rest of us.

Keith

I had the retrofit installed on my 2018 LR M3 on April 2. It was $350, scheduled as a mobile service at home. Everything went smoothly. I tested it at a nearby Chargepoint CCS charger and it was disappointingly slow because the battery wasn't pre-conditioned. For CCS to be really useful, there needs to be a way to easily pre-condition the battery. A simple switch in the app would work. I can share a destination from the Plugshare app or Google Maps from my phone to the car. A switch to pre-condition the battery at the destination would work.

One reason I got the CCS retrofit was to ensure I could charge at third party stations with NACS connectors. The CCS to NACS adapter will be unnecessary at that point, but the car still needs to be able to use the CCS protocol.

A 1,200 mile road trip in a Leaf SV+ a couple of years ago is what persuaded me to get my M3. I was never stranded, but charging was frequently a pain. If Tesla charging goes to hell, my next car will be a PHEV.

One of the benefits of the S3XY buttons is the ability to switch on battery pre-condition.

Keith