Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Retrofit Availability (2023)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dirtman16

White TM3 LR RWD; Red MYP 11/30 OD
Jun 14, 2019
Madison, AL
As of today, the service section of the mobile app is still showing that the CCS retrofit is unavailable. Does anyone have any insight from service centers on when the retrofit may be available? I tried to see if I could get it back in early December, but they just said they didn't have the parts yet.

I made an appointment for a service and manually entered “ccs upgrade” for my 2021 model 3. They asked if i already had the adapter and want to charge $189 for the appointment. I was wondering, seeing as the 2021 is a newer car and only doesn’t have this functionality because of the chip shortage…shouldn’t this service be free?

I made an appointment for a service and manually entered “ccs upgrade” for my 2021 model 3. They asked if i already had the adapter and want to charge $189 for the appointment. I was wondering, seeing as the 2021 is a newer car and only doesn’t have this functionality because of the chip shortage…shouldn’t this service be free?
They didn't advertise this as a feature at the time. I wouldn't expect it to be free.

The CCS Adapter in Korea was announced Oct 18th, 2021, and said "Available in North America soon.". I think that's about the earliest that you could consider Tesla to have been promising CCS support. But as far as the car: it's still not in the official feature list.

I assume the Service Center will replace the 1537264-80-B part with the 1537264-00-B to make CCS enable.

Durant the pandemic because of the ship shortage, the CCS was not enable.

You can buy the part at the SC for $140 before taxes.

The module is located in the trunk near the charger plug and it takes minutes to replace it.

I was told the part is not available yet 😢

In the case of older Tesla models (3 S X) the CCS feature was not yet available and Tesla mentioned that a Kit would be made available in the future.

However, you can get from a third party, a module adapter allowing you to enable CCS, principally because the connectors have been changed.
There are tons of discussions on this specific topic. I have a 2018 Tesla, and I was able to enable CCS using this trick.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
In the case of older Tesla models (3 S X) the CCS feature was not yet available and Tesla mentioned that a Kit would be made available in the future.

However, you can get from a third party, a module adapter allowing you to enable CCS, principally because the connectors have been changed.
There are tons of discussions on this specific topic. I have a 2018 Tesla, and I was able to enable CCS using this trick.
Agreed. I was hopeful the service centers were now performing the work. But sounds like we still need to wait...

I know there are 3rd party kits but personally I’m scared doing it to my under warranty car
No need to wait for Tesla or Service Centers to release this in North America if you have basic wrenching skills.

For the older Model S and Model X, you can actually use the same CCS Retrofit kit that Tesla has been selling in Europe for years to get your CCS1 up and running in North America. So no need for third party kits, or worries about warranty....well your still going to worry about it, so maybe less worries? Its really great for salvage owners, who could care less about the warranty.

The kit comes with a new ECU and wiring harness that works fine on both CCS 1 and CCS2. It also comes with the European Type2/Mennekes to CCS2 adapter which is useless in North America (since we use the Tesla Proprietary (TPC)/NACS to CCS1 adapters), but you can sell that on Ebay back to someone in Europe that needs it.

Shoot me a direct message if you are interested and want to know more

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
I searched but didn't find the answer to this.

Because the CCS retrofit appears in the Service section of the app, does that mean that this is a free service item (a "recall" like the rear camera harness item)?

Retrofit.jpg

Also, I assume this is something that mobile service can handle (when appointments are available).

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I searched but didn't find the answer to this.

Because the CCS retrofit appears in the Service section of the app, does that mean that this is a free service item (a "recall" like the rear camera harness item)?

View attachment 907128

Also, I assume this is something that mobile service can handle (when appointments are available).
It will be around $300-ish for the retrofit and "should" include a CCS adapter.
Talked with service yesterday, and in usual Tesla Fashion, they said we'd (the customer) would likely find out when it's available before the service center did, and there are zero notices of when it will actually be available.