Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This is the official retrofit of model 3 CCS been announced?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I scheduled mine, including some other items that I wanted done at the same time like brake cleaning, and my local service center in Temecula wouldnt quote me the retrofit. The line item on the estimate was "0 - customer education". I messaged them and asked why, and even provided the part number of the kit listed in this thread, and they doubled down and said "its not available for your car".

I then told them "ok well I will cancel the service appointment and try again", then canceled the service appointment, went back in the app and re scheduled JUST the ccs retrofit without anything else. This second time it scheduled me for mobile service, but the estimate again had that "0 - customer education" line on there.

I them messaged them again in the app saying "im not sure why this isnt being quoted to me, it should be part number 1652005-00-A, for my car". They then replied "we added that part to your invoice" and it was now on there quoted at the correct price of $350.

My mobile appointment is now next monday, and hopefully they will do it since others are getting it done.

Sigh, lol... dealing with tesla takes patience sometimes.
Yes. As another data point I just got mine done today here in northern NJ. It was done by mobile service. Nice tech no issues.

At the same time I was able to finally get the trunk wiring recall done. That wasn’t officially offered to me until six months ago. By that time I had 3D printed a solution that to my eyes actually seems to bend the cable less than the approved solution.

So basically that recall was open on my vehicle for over two years. I saw no point fighting Tesla to get it done although I’m sure I could have.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I just had it done. Mobile service just left (while also replacing my original 2018 12v battery).
Took about 1.5 to 2 hours (mostly waiting for the software to load).

I wanted to get a pic of the new CCS module but he said I wasn't allowed. Don't know what part number they used. I wonder if there's a part number visible in the service menu.

There was no "bundle of wires".
Dunno if it's a new part number but seems like they maybe could have dealt w/ the thermistors with software adjustments.

I will not have time to test CCS till after work.
It was $350 with the adaptor included.
(Battery was only $111 -> that actually seems like a pretty good deal)

It now says CCS: "Enabled".
It does NOT say "NACS and CCS Enabled".
I don't know if that means anything.

PS: Of course they did break a couple of clips. You really gotta keep an eye on these guys.

After CCS Upgrade Cropped Resized.jpg

Reactions: RMannino
Are you saying they wouldn't have replaced them if you hadn't said something?

Yea, no.
I was checking as they put stuff back together... "Why is this panel loose? "And why is this panel loose?'

He had extra clips in the car.

After the rear camera wiring harness recall it took 3 trips back to the service center before the trunk door trim panel was reinstalled correctly. Plastic push clips do kinda suck. They never reuse well.

Scheduled a retrofit for my 2019 Model 3. The mobile tech advised me there was a risk that 3rd party ccs could damage the bms and tesla wouldn't honor any kind of warranty beyond the ecu itself were this to happen. I declined the retrofit for now but can't find anything on this. Would seem sketch for the official retrofit to not cover something downstream like this. Isn't that exactly what a properly functioning ecu should prevent?

This was the first time I heard anything about the bms being involved. I thought upgrading the ecu was the only thing needed to make older cars the same as newer ones with respect to ccs.

I know this retrofit isn't the biggest deal but I'm in a situation now where it would be beneficial and it never Hurst to have options.

Thoughts?

Scheduled a retrofit for my 2019 Model 3. The mobile tech advised me there was a risk that 3rd party ccs could damage the bms and tesla wouldn't honor any kind of warranty beyond the ecu itself were this to happen. I declined the retrofit for now but can't find anything on this. Would seem sketch for the official retrofit to not cover something downstream like this. Isn't that exactly what a properly functioning ecu should prevent?

This was the first time I heard anything about the bms being involved. I thought upgrading the ecu was the only thing needed to make older cars the same as newer ones with respect to ccs.

I know this retrofit isn't the biggest deal but I'm in a situation now where it would be beneficial and it never Hurst to have options.

Thoughts?
Any time you plug into equipment, you take a risk that it might damage your car. Any damage done by something outside the car has the potential not to be covered.

For example, if you fill your gas car with bad gas and that ruins your engine, it won't be covered under warranty. If a Tesla wall connector at a hotel gets hit by lightning and burns out your on-board charger, that probably won't be covered, either.

Even damage caused a Tesla Supercharger wouldn't come under your warranty. It would be a matter of civil liability.

So, if you use a third-party CCS charger and it damages the car (not really very likely), you would probably have to pursue the owner of the charger for relief. The hard part is knowing or proving whether the cause of the failure is internal or external.

Tesla makes and sells the adapter for use with public CCS chargers, so normal CCS charging should NOT damage the BMS in any way.

Reactions: Rocky_H and MP3Mike
Any time you plug into equipment, you take a risk that it might damage your car. Any damage done by something outside the car has the potential not to be covered.

For example, if you fill your gas car with bad gas and that ruins your engine, it won't be covered under warranty. If a Tesla wall connector at a hotel gets hit by lightning and burns out your on-board charger, that probably won't be covered, either.

Even damage caused a Tesla Supercharger wouldn't come under your warranty. It would be a matter of civil liability.

So, if you use a third-party CCS charger and it damages the car (not really very likely), you would probably have to pursue the owner of the charger for relief. The hard part is knowing or proving whether the cause of the failure is internal or external.

Tesla makes and sells the adapter for use with public CCS chargers, so normal CCS charging should NOT damage the BMS in any way.
That part makes sense. It was more that the tech made it sound like this was more likely with the retrofit. He made it sound like even with the retrofit the older cars are different from the newer ones in a way that is more susceptible to damage. As in the retrofit doesn't bring you FULLY up to spec. But my understanding was that it was just the ecu that was different not the battery pack itself.

Scheduled a retrofit for my 2019 Model 3. The mobile tech advised me there was a risk that 3rd party ccs could damage the bms and tesla wouldn't honor any kind of warranty beyond the ecu itself were this to happen.
Sure, it is possible. There have been a number of vehicles that have been damaged by Electrify America chargers failing and frying the battery and/or charge port. (Ford F-150 Lightnings, Chevy Bolts, VW ID.4s, etc.)

Tesla might be better at detecting these events and opening the contactors, to reduce the amount of damage, quicker than the other OEMs. (There were a couple cases where an arc flash/fire was coming from an ID.4 charge port, likely from a worn out/damaged CCS cable on the charger, and neither the car nor the EA charger detected the arcs and reacted; it continued until the driver manually stopped the charging session.)

But my understanding was that it was just the ecu that was different not the battery pack itself.
I tend to agree with that, nothing special in the battery.

Note: Tesla has had CCS support in Europe for years, and I have never heard of a CCS station there causing damage. I think almost all, if not all, of the incidents that I have seen have been at Electrify America stations here in the US.

That part makes sense. It was more that the tech made it sound like this was more likely with the retrofit. He made it sound like even with the retrofit the older cars are different from the newer ones in a way that is more susceptible to damage. As in the retrofit doesn't bring you FULLY up to spec. But my understanding was that it was just the ecu that was different not the battery pack itself.
No, the battery isn't particularly different. Once the ECU (with the help of the BMS) negotiates with a DC charger to begin charging, it is connected directly to the battery. The BMS monitors things, and can open the contactors if it needs to, but there is a direct connection to the battery, and the CCS charger just does what the ECU/BMS tells it to.

There's no reason to think an upgraded car isn't fully CCS compatible. The process isn't fundamentally different from Supercharging, just the signaling and the protocol is different. There are devices (expensive ones) that can do the job of adapting CCS to your old car by translating between CCS and the native Supercharger protocol and signaling. Having the ECU speak CCS natively is ever so much simpler.

I think you got a tech who is making things up.

Reactions: Acps110
No, the battery isn't particularly different. Once the ECU (with the help of the BMS) negotiates with a DC charger to begin charging, it is connected directly to the battery. The BMS monitors things, and can open the contactors if it needs to, but there is a direct connection to the battery, and the CCS charger just does what the ECU/BMS tells it to.

There's no reason to think an upgraded car isn't fully CCS compatible. The process isn't fundamentally different from Supercharging, just the signaling and the protocol is different. There are devices (expensive ones) that can do the job of adapting CCS to your old car by translating between CCS and the native Supercharger protocol and signaling. Having the ECU speak CCS natively is ever so much simpler.

I think you got a tech who is making things up.
Ok thanks I really appreciate it!

I'll also note that you may not be able to DIY this even if you purchase the ECU.

I had a very nice tech and watched him enable CCS on the software. In Service Mode the retrofit CCS button on the high voltage section actually disappeared. He was surprised it no longer showed up. He had to plug in and fire up Toolbox and change the car configuration.

In Toolbox he changed port type and after that reinstalled the firmware via service mode. Based on this I’m not sure you can install the retrofit without Toolbox.

ECU - Charge Port (Combo Adapter) (Retrofit)

I'll also note that you may not be able to DIY this even if you purchase the ECU.

I had a very nice tech and watched him enable CCS on the software. In Service Mode the retrofit CCS button on the high voltage section actually disappeared. He was surprised it no longer showed up. He had to plug in and fire up Toolbox and change the car configuration.

In Toolbox he changed port type and after that reinstalled the firmware via service mode. Based on this I’m not sure you can install the retrofit without Toolbox.

What firmware version are you on?

I scheduled mine, including some other items that I wanted done at the same time like brake cleaning, and my local service center in Temecula wouldnt quote me the retrofit. The line item on the estimate was "0 - customer education". I messaged them and asked why, and even provided the part number of the kit listed in this thread, and they doubled down and said "its not available for your car".

I then told them "ok well I will cancel the service appointment and try again", then canceled the service appointment, went back in the app and re scheduled JUST the ccs retrofit without anything else. This second time it scheduled me for mobile service, but the estimate again had that "0 - customer education" line on there.

I then messaged them again in the app saying "im not sure why this isnt being quoted to me, it should be part number 1652005-00-A, for my car". They then replied "we added that part to your invoice" and it was now on there quoted at the correct price of $350.

My mobile appointment is now next monday, and hopefully they will do it since others are getting it done.

Sigh, lol... dealing with tesla takes patience sometimes.

Just got this completed today (friday).

Mobile tech showed up with the part in a box that contained the adapter and a board (just like everyone elses). I told him (the mobile tesla tech) about my drama getting this scheduled and he just shook his head.

We both chuckled about it, and he got to work in my driveway while I went back inside. The only issue he had was re applying the firmware update that seemed to take a bit, but he got it done.

Car now shows "CCS enabled" under additional information just like everyone else who got this done in the thread.

CCS upgrades have been done DIY by many as they refused to wait for this retrofit.

Mobile service did the retrofit for me today, '18 Model 3; 2023.44.30.25. CCS retrofit button was in service menu. Everything went smoothly and it only took half an hour. Haven't had a chance to test yet. The initial estimate had a $138 labor charge for "compatibility check"in addition to the $350 for the upgrade, the mobile tech didn't know what that was about and took it off.