Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter Support

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you tried scheduling service - type “other” and a description?
Tesla Service responded back and said "Unfortunately, the CCS retrofit is not yet available to Model Y/3 vehicles at this time. You will receive a notification when it does release to your vehicle then you can create an appointment to get it set up."

I considered getting a pricey Chademo adapter but other threads suggest that isn't supported in North America and won't work anyways, plus Chademo is a dying connector. For now we've been fine relying on the Supercharger network for travels but it would be nice to also have the option of CCS. I guess I could borrow my brother's 2023 Model Y if I'm really worried about charging options, his probably has CCS enabled.

Between the onscreen options, ABRP, PlugShare, and ChargePoint account, I'm sure we'll be fine on the next roadtrip in our 2021 MYLR.

Last edited:
Tesla Service responded back and said "Unfortunately, the CCS retrofit is not yet available to Model Y/3 vehicles at this time. You will receive a notification when it does release to your vehicle then you can create an appointment to get it set up."

I considered getting a pricey Chademo adapter but other threads suggest that isn't supported in North America and won't work anyways, plus Chademo is a dying connector. For now we've been fine relying on the Supercharger network for travels but it would be nice to also have the option of CCS. I guess I could borrow my brother's 2023 Model Y if I'm really worried about charging options, his probably has CCS enabled.

Between the onscreen options, ABRP, PlugShare, and ChargePoint account, I'm sure we'll be fine on the next roadtrip in our 2021 MYLR.
I have the adapter but it's really a 'belt and suspenders' deal if you're travelling in most of the lower 48 states.

Thanks but perhaps it recognizes that it's not compatible with our particular Model Y. I see the adapter listed on the Shop site, made sure I'm logged in, but clicking the adapter just opens up the Tesla app and lists every other available charging accessory except the CCS adapter.

I contacted Service team through the app to ask if CCS can be retrofitted and will report back once they respond.

Get off of your phone and try it on a real computer! Evidently your phone's browser is having problems.

Get off of your phone and try it on a real computer! Evidently your phone's browser is having problems.
Thanks, desktop site worked but just confirms it's not compatible with Y/3. Can't add to cart.

Screenshot 2024-02-27 at 8.55.14 PM.png

When did they do retrofits for the Model Y? I've been checking on and off for the past year and it's always check back at some later date. Now they don't even put a later date on the website anymore.
They did them back when they introduced the CCS adapter, maybe 3 years ago?
They've never done it for the Model 3, "Next year...."

• Disagree
Reactions: DanDi58 and MP3Mike
Those that have had it done, simply lucked out. There wasn't an official CCS retrofit for the Model 3/Y. It's perpetually been in that "It's coming soon" state.
Stop saying Model 3/Y in this conversation. They have very different situations for the CCS adapter.

The early Model 3 never got the upgrade, all Model Ys were eligible at one time.

And it was an official update. Tesla Service did it and if you look at my screenshot, it shows it.

Last edited:
I would not hold my breath for a CCS retrofit, tbh. The M3's that don't support it are now approaching 5 years old, and there are relatively few MY's that don't support it (a small time period that I noted in a post above, during the supply chains issues in the late pandemic period). Looking at it objectively, as Tesla sells more and more cars without dramatic increases in service capacity, there is less available time for their techs to perform these upgrades. And the relatively few cars that might take advantage of it means that it's not a big profit center for Tesla. Additionally, continuous expansion of the SC network and third-party networks adopting the NACS mean that over time, CCS will become less important. Just my .02.

I would not hold my breath for a CCS retrofit, tbh. The M3's that don't support it are now approaching 5 years old, and there are relatively few MY's that don't support it (a small time period that I noted in a post above, during the supply chains issues in the late pandemic period). Looking at it objectively, as Tesla sells more and more cars without dramatic increases in service capacity, there is less available time for their techs to perform these upgrades. And the relatively few cars that might take advantage of it means that it's not a big profit center for Tesla. Additionally, continuous expansion of the SC network and third-party networks adopting the NACS mean that over time, CCS will become less important. Just my .02.
I'm not holding my breath to ever get this retrofit. I don't think it'll impact me much, since so far I haven't actually needed to use a CCS charging station, but I do kind of want it because future 3rd party chargers using NACS/J3400 actually "speak" CCS and my car won't be able to use them without the retrofit. I guess at least I should be able to use all superchargers.

It's kind of annoying that Tesla promised a retrofit for over a year and now it looks like they'll let it quietly go away without ever happening. They probably realized that they're jobbing a pretty small percentage of the owners so it doesn't really matter.

You do realize that for a Tesla to use a third-party NACS/J3400 DC fast charger it has to have CCS support right?

They'll do the retrofit, it is just a matter of when.
Why? If NACS is a 'standard', using the Tesla plug, one should just be able to access charging either through an account such as EA, or by paying with a credit card. CCS doesn't enter into the equation.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Why? If NACS is a 'standard', using the Tesla plug, one should just be able to access charging either through an account such as EA, or by paying with a credit card. CCS doesn't enter into the equation.
Wrong. NACS/J3400 is a combination of the Tesla plug and the CCS protocol. So if a Tesla doesn't support CCS it doesn't support NACS. Tesla even updated the information screen in the vehicles to make it clear:

1709151345000.png

Whatever. My point is the same. As a stockholder I'd rather see them focus on something else besides a few CCS retrofits. Maybe fixing the autowipers. Or getting the Cybertruck updated with Autopilot. Or getting the new 'Model 2' out.

Stop saying Model 3/Y in this conversation. They have very different situations for the CCS adapter.

The early Model 3 never got the upgrade, all Model Ys were eligible at one time.

And it was an official update. Tesla Service did it and if you look at my screenshot, it shows it.

The reason they are in the conversation is because Tesla include it in their literature...

The CCS Combo 1 Adapter is compatible with most Tesla vehicles, though some vehicles may require additional hardware. Sign in to the Tesla app to check your vehicle's compatibility and schedule a Service retrofit if needed.

If a retrofit is required, the service visit will include installation at your preferred Tesla Service Center and one CCS Combo 1 Adapter.

Note: For Model 3 and Model Y vehicles requiring a retrofit, please check back in mid-2023 for availability."

That was what it said all last year when was checking monthly. The date was eventually changed to January 2024, and now has changed again to indicate that it is not compatible with the Cybertruck (and does not have a date).

If you are upset about the 3 being part of the conversation, I would take that up with Tesla. And if you say "all Model Ys were eligible at one time." please show supportive documentation. I 100% believe that you had your Model Y retrofitted at Tesla, which is why I said "Those that have had it done, simply lucked out." Just like prior to the MY Biodefense retrofit people were able to get local SC's to activate the software. Just because a SC did it, does not mean it was an official retrofit... The S/X have had an official retrofit (supported by documentation on Tesla.com).

But if you have actual documentation that supports an official retrofit, I would be happy to say I am wrong.

Reactions: MP3Mike