Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I own one of the early Model Ys (Delivered March 2020) VIN 0023XX My car says CCS Adapter: Enabled. Weird Right, must be a software thing?
Only Model Ys made for a few months in July-Oct of 2021 are “Not Installed” all Model Ys from 2020 should be “Enabled”
CCS Status - Models 3 and Y

Reactions: Winoramma
Only Model Ys made for a few months in July-Oct of 2021 are “Not Installed” all Model Ys from 2020 should be “Enabled”
This was the period where they ran short of stuff due to chip shortages, removing this feature which technically does not even exist yet in North America was just one of the items many got short changed on and went unnoticed. Radar was removed as well as the passenger lumbar support.

• Informative
Reactions: kayak1
I own one of the early Model Ys (Delivered March 2020) VIN 0023XX My car says CCS Adapter: Enabled. Weird Right, must be a software thing?

Not weird. I believe that from the start (when Model Y's were first released in North America--March 13, 2020) they came CCS-enabled. It was only in July to October 2021 that CCS functioning was not installed (due to electronic parts shortages?). Hopefully, those omissions can be rectified eventually with hardware retrofits.

Arriving earlier than Model Y, Model 3 cars did not have CCS enabled from 2017-early 2020, then they too got it. I have less information for Models S and X, but my late 2020 Model X has CCS enabled.

Not weird. I believe that from the start (when Model Y's were first released in North America--March 13, 2020) they came CCS-enabled. It was only in July to October 2021 that CCS functioning was not installed (due to electronic parts shortages?). Hopefully, those omissions can be rectified eventually with hardware retrofits.

Arriving earlier than Model Y, Model 3 cars did not have CCS enabled from 2017-early 2020, then they too got it. I have less information for Models S and X, but my late 2020 Model X has CCS enabled.
From what I read, the Model 3 shipped with a Gen 3 ECU assembly that did not have CCS capability, as well as a few other things... Then later a Gen 4 ECU came out with CCS capability, which came with the Y and newer 3. Then mid 2021, for a short while a revised Gen 4 came out missing CCS.... From what I gather, the Gen 4 ECU with CCS capability will only work as a drop in replacement for cars that came with a Gen 4 ECU, because the wiring harnass/pinout is different because the Gen 4 has sensors that aren't on the Gen 3.

• Helpful
Reactions: tps5352
From what I gather, the Gen 4 ECU with CCS capability will only work as a drop in replacement for cars that came with a Gen 4 ECU, because the wiring harnass/pinout is different because the Gen 4 has sensors that aren't on the Gen 3.

It's just a different thermistor curve & orange panel presence sensor - this is what the DIY approach emulates by faking the proper state of the cover & adapting the thermistor to an extent. Tesla can easily change that in the ECUs firmware and make the gen 3 port with gen 4 CCS-enabled ECU work perfectly.

It's just a different thermistor curve & orange panel presence sensor - this is what the DIY approach emulates by faking the proper state of the cover & adapting the thermistor to an extent. Tesla can easily change that in the ECUs firmware and make the gen 3 port with gen 4 CCS-enabled ECU work perfectly.

OK, like I didn't understand any of that. But I gave you a "Helpful" anyway, becaue I figure, heck!--you must know what you are talking about. :)

• Funny
Reactions: kiler129
OK, like I didn't understand any of that. But I gave you a "Helpful" anyway, becaue I figure, heck!--you must know what you are talking about. :)

In simpler terms for anyone's education:

- thermistor: a special thing which changes resistance (how much lower the voltage going IN will be when it goes OUT) based on temperature. These are not exactly linear (e.g. it's not like 1 volt = 10°C and 2 volt = 20°C) so they need a special table to map between volts and temperatures (e.g. 1 volt = 10°C, 1.74 volt = 20°C, 2.0 volt = 30°C). Different types need different tables (called curves). With simple Ohm's law calculation it's possible to lower or increase the voltage from one type to sort-of-kind-of match the voltages from the other type.
- state of cover: gen 4 port seems to have a simple switch which tells the car "hey, the panel inside is removed!" and gen 4 charge controller (the white/milky ECU) checks for that and doesn't allow for charging to start for safety reasons. The issue here is that gen 3 port has no such switch so the gen 4 ECU assumes that "no sensor = open cover" (in electronics engineering this is called a fail-safe principle). To correct for that a more-or-less fake switch is needed to convince gen 4 ECU that the cover is always on.

Both of these things can be easily corrected by tesla in the firmware for gen 4 ECU. The retro fit kit is probably gonna be a gen 4 ECU hardware-wise with a slightly different firmware (as I don't see an electrical way to distinguish detect gen 3 port from gen 4 port with cover opened). The firmware simply needs to use different table (aka. curve) for converting between voltage values and temperature reading, while also "ignoring" the open cover (or actually just not checking as formally the state with "switch" disconnected it floating/undefined). Of course Tesla may do something completely different here, but this seems like the easiest route to take.

The adapter shipping box is apparently about 6 1/2" long by 5 1/2" wide by maybe 5 1/2" deep (but I'm unsure about that depth reading). The adapter itself is about 4 1/2" high by 3 1/4" wide by 5 1/4" deep (front CCS1 socket to back TPC plug).

For a safe, convenient, inexpensive, and innocuous-looking storage bag, I figure something black (to "hide" in a trunk), nylon fabric sides, zippered, and either padded or insulated (for added protection), with cubed foam added. Obviously there are Halliburton, Pelican, and other top-drawer hard-shell cases that are supper protective, but also super expensive. Plus they clearly say, "I have something valuable inside me."

Some preliminary ideas:
These are just a couple of preliminary ideas. TMC probably includes people with current and past professional and amateur expertise in photography, target shooting and hunting, nautical endeavors, various outdoor scientific and engineering activities, law enforcement and the military, construction, and other activities where portable storage containers are used. I'm sure someone will know exactly the best kind of case for this adapter.

Eventually, CCS1 adapters will be, if not a-dime-a-dozen, certainly much more commonplace. But right now they are rare (hence valuable) yet relatively small, perhaps vulnerable to damage(?), and easily transportable (i.e., easy to make off with). What are your ideas?
I measured my own Tesla CCS1 adapter and have slightly different measurements of 4-7/8" x 3-1/4" x 5-1/4". I plan on keeping mine in the black box that it ships in because it has a flap with sticky tape that can be opened and closed over and over. But I would recommend one of the following cases that I found on Amazon:

1. This one might be a bit snug, but I believe that it has a small amount of stretch and would fit fine(4.7" x 3.3" x 5").

2. This one is two-layer and has configurable velcro dividers for the main compartment, with plenty of room (7" x 3.9" x 9.6"). You can also store your J1772 and UMC adapters in it.

3. This one is a little bigger than the adapter but would probably be just right with the included adjustable, padded dividers (5" x 3.9" x 7"). You should still be able to keep the J1772 adapter in it as well.

I measured my own Tesla CCS1 adapter and have slightly different measurements of 4-7/8" x 3-1/4" x 5-1/4". I plan on keeping mine in the black box that it ships in because it has a flap with sticky tape that can be opened and closed over and over. But I would recommend one of the following cases that I found on Amazon:

1. This one might be a bit snug, but I believe that it has a small amount of stretch and would fit fine(4.7" x 3.3" x 5").

2. This one is two-layer and has configurable velcro dividers for the main compartment, with plenty of room (7" x 3.9" x 9.6"). You can also store your J1772 and UMC adapters in it.

3. This one is a little bigger than the adapter but would probably be just right with the included adjustable, padded dividers (5" x 3.9" x 7"). You should still be able to keep the J1772 adapter in it as well.
I'll probably see if mine fits in my https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09NB9SZQR?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Not sure how big it is but I'm hoping this will keep it out of the way.

• Informative
CCS Status of Selected Tesla Cars

The final spreadsheet table (based on an informal survey in this thread). We focused on 2019 to 2021 Model 3 and (2020-21) Model Y, but I suspect Models S and X followed a somewhat similar pattern? (At least some Models S and X from 2020, my MX for example, had CCS enabled.) Cars from 2019 and earlier lacked CCS; after 2020 they should pretty much all have CCS. That four-month 2021 backsliding period--back to CCS "Not installed"--was due to the chip shortage or some other parts supply problem, I hear. Hopefully all owners of cars lacking CCS capability who want it will be able to get a fixative retrofit, as is the case for Models S and X in Europe.

So, I see that the table goes as far as 2021 so I can contribute 2022 here picked up end of April 2022 and being a 2022 make year based on the VIN. It has the CCS enabled/installed from the factory. I wonder if they solved the production/silicone hell now and are able to bring the PLC into all charging port ECUs?

1651447502949.png

• Helpful