Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Adapter - ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Realistically.. what's the absolute worst scenario for someone in Korea having my Tesla account information, while my Y is parked in my garage in the US? What damage could be done?
Delete your vehicle from the account perhaps? Or remotely mess with your settings. Actually, do you have to give them the primary (owner's) account password or can you give them an account that's just authorized as a driver? If the latter, I could create a new account or give them the password to an authorized driver's account instead.

Funny, I thought the same thing, this thing is solid. I remember seeing the comments about the pin getting broken easily. Maybe if i drop it on the pin! It's very solidly built, my only concern is the torque applied on the part going into the car from the cable coming from the DC charger. If it last me 8 years I'll be happy. LOL
That pin is not plastic, some type of metal, non magnetic as I tried a good magnet on it. Bottom line is it will be difficult to break that pin unless you really try.

Reactions: alexcue
Delete your vehicle from the account perhaps? Or remotely mess with your settings. Actually, do you have to give them the primary (owner's) account password or can you give them an account that's just authorized as a driver? If the latter, I could create a new account or give them the password to an authorized driver's account instead.
As long as I have the physical key cards to the vehicle I can still drive it, right? And I guess my big fear is that somebody could possibly steal my car, simply because they have the account login. But it seems like the absolute worst they can do is just play around with a couple of settings. If they delete the vehicle. I'm guessing I can pretty easily add it back to my account with a couple of clicks. I believe you can also turn off mobile access to your car, if you are truly worried someone is going to play around with your settings.

I'm pretty sure they need access to your account login + and actual car attached to the account.. as verification that someone in Korea has access to the vehicle and wants to order the adapter. They are essentially pretending to be you, located in Korea, and ordering the adapter that is only sold to people living in Korea with a Tesla. If they didn't require that portion.. anyone worldwide would be able to order this adapter. Even if they didn't actually own a Tesla (because they could just create a new account).

After owning all three adapter types (Tesla CHAdeMO, Setec CCS1, and Tesla CCS1) I thought I'd put a plug to compare and contrast all three adapters from my experiences so far.

Tesla CHAdeMO
Purchased at time of car delivery. Very big, bulky, heavy. Has a thick cable connecting two pieces together, and in use, feels like it can break off any second, which surprisingly, never happened, especially given that CHAdeMO connectors are also the largest and heaviest connectors of the three types. Max 50kw output, although a few people have claimed 75, possible, depending on the car. Pros: genuine Tesla product, doesn't rely on a battery (like Setec), CHAdeMO is usually available as the second handle to CCS1 charging machine. Doesn't need frequent firmware updates. Doesn't need Tesla charging ECU to work. Cons: Bulky, heavy, feels like it will break off, and discontinued. Used prices are through the roof. CHAdeMO is last place as far as availability compared to CCS1 & Tesla SC, as Electrify America, (A big DC charging company) is now committed to installing only CCS1.

Setec CCS1
Purchased a month after it was released, I think a year ago. Smaller than CHAdeMO adapter, weights a bit less, doesn't have the two pieces connected by a thick cable. It does have a questionable connection as it has a long neck and a heavy unit attached. So it's better than the above Tesla adapter, but not by a lot. Won't fit in glovebox or center console. Luckily, CCS1 connectors are lighter than CHAdeMO's so that helps. also 50kW max charging rate. Pros: Connects to CCS1, which, if you've ever visited a EA DC station, outnumbers CHAd by 7 to 1. Still available for purchase. Doesn't need a Tesla charging ECU to work. Cons: needs frequent firmware updates. It seems like every time the car updates, the Setec stops working, until the next Setec firmware is released. Also it uses a separate battery which needs to be kept charged. Fortunately, that can be done from the car itself or an attached micro-USB battery in emergencies.

Tesla CCS1
Purchased very recently. The smallest & lightest unit. Surprisingly heavy for its size. Only one that can be stored in the car's center console or glovebox. Fastest potential charging rate of the three, up to about 200kw, maybe even more, depending on circumstances, (charger, battery heating, outside temp, SOC, etc.) Pros: Relatively available, have to jump through a small hoop and a little wait to get one. At $318, a bargain compared to the other two. Genuine Tesla product. CCS1 availability is second to Supercharger. Cons: Not every car can use it, essentially a roll-of-the-dice, either the car can, or it can't. If your car can't, either wait (who-knows-when) for Tesla to introduce a program so it can, or buy one of the other two adapters (above). If your car can, this is the one adapter to buy, period. I'll even go further and say that if this adapter was released first, (provided all cars can use it) the other two would not exist at all.

For cars that don't have the ECU chip, it's a toss-up between the CHAdeMO and Setec CCS1. I don't like having to update firmware to keep the Setec current, knowing there's some times where no amount of firmware will work since the car updated too recently, and for the CHAdeMO I worry about pulling into an EA DC station and seeing a Nissan Leaf there (or other CHAdeMO car), and having to wait. If forced into a choice though, I'd begrudgingly pick CHAdeMO.

Hopefully I covered all of it, there may be more I'm sure.

Last edited:
Ordered 4/21, received today - one day earlier than DHL suggested it would arrive. It did show up at my neighbors door though. I received word it was delivered, but couldn’t find it. Went for a neighborhood walk and found it on my neighbors front step (I signed up for “no signature” service).

I have not tried it yet, but the car says it’s ccs enabled, so I’m optimistic it’ll work.

Reactions: tps5352
As long as I have the physical key cards to the vehicle I can still drive it, right? And I guess my big fear is that somebody could possibly steal my car, simply because they have the account login. But it seems like the absolute worst they can do is just play around with a couple of settings. If they delete the vehicle. I'm guessing I can pretty easily add it back to my account with a couple of clicks. I believe you can also turn off mobile access to your car, if you are truly worried someone is going to play around with your settings.

I'm pretty sure they need access to your account login + and actual car attached to the account.. as verification that someone in Korea has access to the vehicle and wants to order the adapter. They are essentially pretending to be you, located in Korea, and ordering the adapter that is only sold to people living in Korea with a Tesla. If they didn't require that portion.. anyone worldwide would be able to order this adapter. Even if they didn't actually own a Tesla (because they could just create a new account).
Obviously the account needs to be connected to your car in some way. But my question was whether they need the *primary* account or whether one that has been added as an authorized driver of your vehicle will do.

Obviously the account needs to be connected to your car in some way. But my question was whether they need the *primary* account or whether one that has been added as an authorized driver of your vehicle will do.
I think it needs to be the primary, because the account needs to be able to make purchases. I can't remember if you can add that permission to other drivers, but I remember when I first got my car, only the primary was able to make purchases on the account.

Reactions: STS-134
For now this is not a priority in my book, only a few people with Teslas have access to CCS1 who purchased through Korea. When the adapter is available here there will be less choice due to the unbelievable number of Teslas showing up every day. They will be selling hundreds/day when this is released here and those more than convenient CCS stalls will be filling up more and more.

I think they should wait a few years. 😇

Time to act like a modern day comedian and pull the ladder up behind us!

Keith

Reactions: Johnny Vector
Realistically I think the best option, is that only newly built Superchargers be open to all, that way the superchargers built to be open to all can be built with better logistics to deal with CCS cars with charging ports in different locations, etc... For example, set it up like some of the ones in Europe, where they are drive-thru style, instead of back in, etc..

Drive through is much better for accommodating people pulling a trailer as well.

Keith

After owning all three adapter types (Tesla CHAdeMO, Setec CCS1, and Tesla CCS1) I thought I'd put a plug to compare and contrast all three adapters from my experiences so far.

Tesla CHAdeMO
Purchased at time of car delivery. Very big, bulky, heavy. Has a thick cable connecting two pieces together, and in use, feels like it can break off any second, which surprisingly, never happened, especially given that CHAdeMO connectors are also the largest and heaviest connectors of the three types. Max 50kw output, although a few people have claimed 75, possible, depending on the car. Pros: genuine Tesla product, doesn't rely on a battery (like Setec), CHAdeMO is usually available as the second handle to CCS1 charging machine. Doesn't need frequent firmware updates. Doesn't need Tesla charging ECU to work. Cons: Bulky, heavy, feels like it will break off, and discontinued. Used prices are through the roof. CHAdeMO is last place as far as availability compared to CCS1 & Tesla SC, as Electrify America, (A big DC charging company) is now committed to installing only CCS1.

Setec CCS1
Purchased a month after it was released, I think a year ago. Smaller than CHAdeMO adapter, weights a bit less, doesn't have the two pieces connected by a thick cable. It does have a questionable connection as it has a long neck and a heavy unit attached. So it's better than the above Tesla adapter, but not by a lot. Won't fit in glovebox or center console. Luckily, CCS1 connectors are lighter than CHAdeMO's so that helps. also 50kW max charging rate. Pros: Connects to CCS1, which, if you've ever visited a EA DC station, outnumbers CHAd by 7 to 1. Still available for purchase. Doesn't need a Tesla charging ECU to work. Cons: needs frequent firmware updates. It seems like every time the car updates, the Setec stops working, until the next Setec firmware is released. Also it uses a separate battery which needs to be kept charged. Fortunately, that can be done from the car itself or an attached micro-USB battery in emergencies.

Tesla CCS1
Purchased very recently. The smallest & lightest unit. Surprisingly heavy for its size. Only one that can be stored in the car's center console or glovebox. Fastest potential charging rate of the three, up to about 200kw, maybe even more, depending on circumstances, (charger, battery heating, outside temp, SOC, etc.) Pros: Relatively available, have to jump through a small hoop and a little wait to get one. At $318, a bargain compared to the other two. Genuine Tesla product. CCS1 availability is second to Supercharger. Cons: Not every car can use it, essentially a roll-of-the-dice, either the car can, or it can't. If your car can't, either wait (who-knows-when) for Tesla to introduce a program so it can, or buy one of the other two adapters (above). If your car can, this is the one adapter to buy, period. I'll even go further and say that if this adapter was released first, (provided all cars can use it) the other two would not exist at all.

For cars that don't have the ECU chip, it's a toss-up between the CHAdeMO and Setec CCS1. I don't like having to update firmware to keep the Setec current, knowing there's some times where no amount of firmware will work since the car updated too recently, and for the CHAdeMO I worry about pulling into an EA DC station and seeing a Nissan Leaf there (or other CHAdeMO car), and having to wait. If forced into a choice though, I'd begrudgingly pick CHAdeMO.

Hopefully I covered all of it, there may be more I'm sure.
Awesome review. Thanks for outlining your evolution of optional charging solutions. By far, the Tesla CCS Combo 1 is the best option.

Pin is there to stop people from unplugging your car while you charge. Made of metal
On my CCS1 adapter (just arrived from Korea yesterday woohoo) the pin is metal but the very tip looks like some sort of plastic like Delrin or PA6, presumably to prevent the charge port area from getting scratched up. I'm actually quite impressed with the overall build of the thing - its like someone actually put some thought into the design and construction of it.

Just a quick update.

4/27 - Harumio Invoice & Paid via Paypal.
4/27 - Supplied Harumio with email, password, and one-time-use pass. (no issue) Still had 2FA on.
4/28 - Tesla Confimation Order Email for CCS adapter. (2 emails)
4/28 - Harumio confirmed order placement.
5/4 - DHL notification that a package is on the way. (left SK customs)
5/9 - ETA for package.

Changed my password and created a new 10 key.

Reactions: OliverM3
I placed my order on Friday, April 22nd, and received my adapter at my door yesterday, May 4th. Looks like Harumio's TMC account is closed. Probably the mods don't like that he doesn't have a vendor account.

In any case, his packaging was excellent, the level of service was top-notch, and the speed of delivery was fast. He should be charging a lot more than $5 for this. I'd be comfortable paying $20 for his time and materials.

Just placed my order but it will probably be accepted tonight at 10 PM. Having 2FA is a good idea but you still have to give them your password so I just changed mine to something unique.

Can't add a driver as the VIN is matched to your account not additional drivers. Paid through paypal with a travel card!

I placed my order on Friday, April 22nd, and received my adapter at my door yesterday, May 4th. Looks like Harumio's TMC account is closed. Probably the mods don't like that he doesn't have a vendor account.

In any case, his packaging was excellent, the level of service was top-notch, and the speed of delivery was fast. He should be charging a lot more than $5 for this. I'd be comfortable paying $20 for his time and materials.
Still waiting to receive mine (scheduled delivery tomorrow). But I took was a bit surprised at the $5 charge for everything involved, seems a bit too good to be true.. That said, if you figure their full-time business is a proxy service so they are hopefully processing hundreds of items for shipment to other countries daily, possibly even hourly. I imagine if the proxy costs get too expensive.. people will simply find another vendor providing the same services.

I looked at other proxies.. and chose them more due to their reputation than anything. Seems a lot of people had great service and that was more important to me than price.

Here is my experience.
4/26 - Harumio Invoice & Paid via ApplePay
4/26 - Supplied Harumio with email, password
4/26 - Tesla Confimation Order Email for CCS adapter. (2 emails)
4/26 - Harumio confirmed order placement.
5/1 - Harmio Shipment Notification
5/2 - DHL notification that a package is on the way.
5/5 - ETA for package. Same as my Plaid Delivery day
Since the CCS won’t work on my 2016 S90D, I decided have a new Plaid delivered the same day as my CCS :)
Fingers crossed for the new articulating main screen!!

Very easy process-thanks for the Harumio tip.

I changed my Tesla credentials this morning.

So the price is 299,200 in Korean Won for that adapter which is say about $240USD.
You end up paying $274.50 + $5.00 = $279.50
That is about $40 in fees.
Anywho that is totally fine with me, since eBay wants $1,500 for that Adapter and Harumio does excellent job (based on forum reviews) delivering for $318.50.

Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 1.02.39 PM.png

Reactions: OliverM3