Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS covers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just pasting in a review I wrote for some CCS covers I've picked up.

IMG-0900.jpg

IMG-0901.jpg

IMG-0903.jpg

Ordered some CCS socket covers as I'm unsure about the long term effects of leaving the pins open to the elements and my car is parked outside on the drive.

Not necessarily worried about rusting as I'm going to assume the CCS pins have been made from stainless or ti but I do wonder about surface oxidation, debris ingress etc and if any issues may arise as a result.

Ordered one and was sent two which was a nice surprise. They came from https://www.ccscover.com and cost £13.02 including postage (paid using a card which incurs no exchange rate or transaction cost, refused paypal conversion rate and used the card's).

They sell two versions, one with a rubber loop and one without. The non loop version was out of stock so ended up getting these. Currently I've left one attached to my tethered home charger and the other in the car in the event I'm AC charging out and about.

Looped version was probably for the best as I can see now it could be fiddly to extract from the socket sans loop. May look into cutting the loop down in the future and leaving it permanently in situ allowing for enough space so the charge port can close but leaving parts of the rubber loop in place for grip when removing.

They're made of thick rubber which seems of decent quality and the fit is fairly loose. Initially I would have preferred they fit tight but now I've got them, loose makes a lot of sense as they're easier to remove.

When the AC plug is in the socket, it shields the top lip of the cover to prevent it falling out.

If I were to have only received one I'd say they're a little pricey compared to alternatives but I really didn't want any cheesy logos / branding / design on the cover (vain I know) but that was just my preference.

Anyway, if you're thinking of getting a CCS cover these are pretty decent.

Just pasting in a review I wrote for some CCS covers I've picked up.

IMG-0900.jpg

IMG-0901.jpg

IMG-0903.jpg

Ordered some CCS socket covers as I'm unsure about the long term effects of leaving the pins open to the elements and my car is parked outside on the drive.

Not necessarily worried about rusting as I'm going to assume the CCS pins have been made from stainless or ti but I do wonder about surface oxidation, debris ingress etc and if any issues may arise as a result.

Ordered one and was sent two which was a nice surprise. They came from https://www.ccscover.com and cost £13.02 including postage (paid using a card which incurs no exchange rate or transaction cost, refused paypal conversion rate and used the card's).

They sell two versions, one with a rubber loop and one without. The non loop version was out of stock so ended up getting these. Currently I've left one attached to my tethered home charger and the other in the car in the event I'm AC charging out and about.

Looped version was probably for the best as I can see now it could be fiddly to extract from the socket sans loop. May look into cutting the loop down in the future and leaving it permanently in situ allowing for enough space so the charge port can close but leaving parts of the rubber loop in place for grip when removing.

They're made of thick rubber which seems of decent quality and the fit is fairly loose. Initially I would have preferred they fit tight but now I've got them, loose makes a lot of sense as they're easier to remove.

When the AC plug is in the socket, it shields the top lip of the cover to prevent it falling out.

If I were to have only received one I'd say they're a little pricey compared to alternatives but I really didn't want any cheesy logos / branding / design on the cover (vain I know) but that was just my preference.

Anyway, if you're thinking of getting a CCS cover these are pretty decent.

Their one without the easy removal ring looks the best option

I made my own, because I'm a bit funny about things sticking out at the "wrong" angle and the charging port is slanted.
Also added a flip out hook so I could hook it on the charge door when using a supercharger.
CCScover.jpg

Reactions: davidmc
Does anyone have any thoughts on using the cover vs tesla's advice not to use them as they will cause:
condensation around the pins
trap water
be detrimental when AC charging as heat is expelled via the CCS port holes
etc

I've posted this same review on a FB group and received some comments there highlighting the above and I'm interested on other peoples takes. My main usage of the cover was originally going to be permanent however based on what I learn about the above I may limit it to adverse weather etc and allow the port or air out normally during good weather.

Does anyone have any thoughts on using the cover vs tesla's advice not to use them as they will cause:
trap water
etc

I've posted this same review on a FB group and received some comments there highlighting the above and I'm interested on other peoples takes. My main usage of the cover was originally going to be permanent however based on what I learn about the above I may limit it to adverse weather etc and allow the port or air out normally during good weather.
The i3 I'm currently driving has a split cover for the Type 2 and CCS pins. I've been charging the car pretty much every night for the past ~4 months with the CCS cover part on, with no ill effects.

I don't think a 3D printed cover will be airtight, either.

Reactions: Roy W.
trap water
etc

I suppose we’ve got to accept Tesla’s advice.

I’ve ordered one, but only intend to use it if I’m Type 2 charging outside. 95+% of my charging is at home in a nice dry garage.

Reactions: drewpost
I suppose we’ve got to accept Tesla’s advice.

I’ve ordered one, but only intend to use it if I’m Type 2 charging outside. 95+% of my charging is at home in a nice dry garage.

indeed, it's difficult to investigate the benefits vs pitfalls without intrusive means.
I'll probably do as you are and fit the cover in poor weather and leave it to air at all other times.

Reactions: Roy W.
That looks great. My only worry with it would be the risk of it being stolen :(
It's literally 20p to print another one :p

I've not noticed any condensation, but I probably wouldn't fit it if it was pouring down and I managed to get it all wet while super charging. Much in the same way I don't put the rubber cap on the type2 cable if it gets wet and leave it in the boot to dry.

I wondered about those but I'm not sure I would leave one permanently fitted as when pre conditioning, air flows through the charge port to help prevent it freezing. Not sure which part, but the lock pin and charge port door are two areas where I have suffered freezing. Lock pin is on the main type 2 socket, so don't think that will be affected, but I don't know about where air exits to warm charge port flap.

I wondered about those but I'm not sure I would leave one permanently fitted as when pre conditioning, air flows through the charge port to help prevent it freezing. Not sure which part, but the lock pin and charge port door are two areas where I have suffered freezing. Lock pin is on the main type 2 socket, so don't think that will be affected, but I don't know about where air exits to warm charge port flap.

I've had a hard plastic cover over the DC pins all winter. It's only removed when (infrequently) rapid charging. It is not an airtight fit but I didn't want wind-blown rain or snow to pack in there. I haven't had any issues with the charge port or door and hadn't heard about warnings to not use a cover before reading this thread.

I bought one. Tried it. It stopped to charge port door closing properly as it was slightly proud and it was a PITA to remove. Gave up. Never used it since.

IMO save your money, you don’t need this. The charge port drains any water that gets in anyway.