Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS1 Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just googled personal assistant South Korea and many came up. Contacted a few with my request and if it can be done. Not sure what else to say about this. Just ask me any questions you’d liked answered and I’ll do my best to give a detailed response.
Can you share the contact info for the personal assistant you used?. I would think this would be easier since he /she already did one.

I got the adapter today, 2 days ahead of schedule (Took 7 days from order to delivery at Harumio, then 5 days to get to me). It feels nice and heavy. It's made by Pegatron in Taiwan. Now I'm just waiting on the newer charge port ECU that I ordered from my nearest Tesla service center to make my early 2018 Model 3 work with CCS1 (I already have my bundle of wires and some resistors 😉).

IMG_20220420_114207.jpg

Reactions: LoudMusic
I got the adapter today, 2 days ahead of schedule (Took 7 days from order to delivery at Harumio, then 5 days to get to me). It feels nice and heavy. It's made by Pegatron in Taiwan. Now I'm just waiting on the newer charge port ECU that I ordered from my nearest Tesla service center to make my early 2018 Model 3 work with CCS1 (I already have my bundle of wires and some resistors 😉).

View attachment 795750

Pegatron ... wow, what a name.

Tesla knows if your car is CCS compatible, so they could offer it for sale only to those who have such a car if they wished to. I suspect they just don't have the volume available to make it generally for sale in the USA yet. Or possibly they still have more testing to do and Korea is the testbed, though it has been a long time.

Now that we know that the CCS1 adapter will (barely) fit the Models S & X charge port, I would try to order one. However, I have yet to see confirmation that it will actually work in a North American Model S or X.
It works if it's a refreshed Model S or X that started shipping in 2021 or later. I don't know the exact cutoff dates for the ones that work, but older Model S and X are not currently supported. Best way to tell is to go to the car's Software screen and tap on Additional Info and see if it shows CCS as enabled.

Many older (2019 and earlier) Models S & X are probably not CCS-enabled, correct. But at least some, if not many 2020 and later cars definitely are.

For example, my pre-refresh December 2020-manufactured, 2021 Model X has CCS "Enabled."

Additional vehicle information for December 2020 Model X

We did a survey of mostly Models 3 and Y and found that CCS compatibility in those cars started around early 2020. There was a brief loss of CCS during the chip shortages of ~September-October 2021, but it returned in late 2021 and is once again a feature, afaik. I can't say definitively, but the pattern may be similar for Models S & X.

CCS Compatibility for Models 3 & Y

During the 3/Y survey I heard from a few "Classic" Models S & X owners and CCS compatibility is definitely present in at least some 2020-21 models. I'm unsure of the extent, but as discussed elsewhere all North American Tesla owners, of cars from 2020 on, who are interested in purchasing a Tesla CCS1 adapter may want to check (as android04 suggested). There's been speculation that a hardware retrofit (as seen for European Models S & X) for NA cars that are not CCS enabled may become available.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hiline
The ebay one is going for $900 so far. Crazy. ebay item 154955401648 I imagine maybe some speculators are interested in reverse engineering it? Either way my speculation is Tesla is purposely not interested in making and selling their CCS1 in the US that much. It's not that complicated a part that can't be made by the 10s of thousands in China. China seems to be making a similarly designed J1772 plug just fine by the gazillions.

I have an official one on order from via Harumio - Korea Forwarding Service as a proxy will see if it works out.

I have created an additional Tesla account assigned a driver to it accepted the access via the driver. That account seems to be able to order via the US version of the Tesla site (ie it pulls up the VIN info). I don't have a credit card or other data tied to that user. I also don't have a 2FA setup on that user, as I have to share the username/password with harum.io.

Once they have shipped the CCS1 adapter I will then delete the temp account. I will post back if this works. The total shipped to Maine was
$323.63 USD.

Reactions: bman325i
And.... everyone's favorite subject because it only pertains to maybe 1% of viewers here... will this work on a branded title (rebuilt, salvage, etc...) Y, 3, S, or X that had SC cut off already remotely but is CCS1 enabled? Hopefully someone will test that out and post here.
It's my understanding that when a car has DC charging disabled it is cut off from Chadamo and thus I would expect that CCS1 would also be disabled.

It's my understanding that when a car has DC charging disabled it is cut off from Chadamo and thus I would expect that CCS1 would also be disabled.
Models Y and 3 are not in my experience. I have been able to chademo and SETEC CCS adapter (which emulates chademo) DC fast charge. I have not read anywhere except I think someone with an older S on this forum somewhere that has had the issue of all DC fast charging disabled.

I have an official one on order from via Harumio - Korea Forwarding Service as a proxy will see if it works out.

I have created an additional Tesla account assigned a driver to it accepted the access via the driver. That account seems to be able to order via the US version of the Tesla site (ie it pulls up the VIN info). I don't have a credit card or other data tied to that user. I also don't have a 2FA setup on that user, as I have to share the username/password with harum.io.

Once they have shipped the CCS1 adapter I will then delete the temp account. I will post back if this works. The total shipped to Maine was
$323.63 USD.
If a VIN has not been assigned, can’t order the adapter?