Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS1 Tesla Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The ebay one is going for $900 so far. Crazy. ebay item 154955401648 I imagine maybe some speculators are interested in reverse engineering it? Either way my speculation is Tesla is purposely not interested in making and selling their CCS1 in the US that much. It's not that complicated a part that can't be made by the 10s of thousands in China. China seems to be making a similarly designed J1772 plug just fine by the gazillions.
Nah. The CHAdeMO adapter has sold for $800 to $1100 on eBay ever since they discontinued. There are people who want an adapter now. The CCS is superior in every way to the CdM, as long as your car can use it, so I am sure people would pay well for it on eBay.

I in fact sold my CdM adapter when they announced the CCS adapter, but I now regret that since they have taken so long to bring it out, and I learned my car can't use it until they offer the board upgrade.

I have an official one on order from via Harumio - Korea Forwarding Service as a proxy will see if it works out.

I have created an additional Tesla account assigned a driver to it accepted the access via the driver. That account seems to be able to order via the US version of the Tesla site (ie it pulls up the VIN info). I don't have a credit card or other data tied to that user. I also don't have a 2FA setup on that user, as I have to share the username/password with harum.io.

Once they have shipped the CCS1 adapter I will then delete the temp account. I will post back if this works. The total shipped to Maine was
$323.63 USD.
I just put in a request today also, but they’re asking to change my password to something temporary and change it back once the order has been placed.

I got mine today and it works perfectly at Electrify America chargers. Even though we had a regular Korean address when we placed the order they wouldn't process it until my wife called and verified all information on the order, she's Korean and brought the charger with her when flying back. The order was placed through our regular US Tesla account and US Amex card.
What is the peak kW charging rate you are seeing at Electrify America?

A little bit disappointed. Still I would like to have the option to use EA if the need arise. Last year I needed to charge in the Chicago while visiting family are and nearest one was an EA (5 min from the house) that I couldn't use. Ended up going 15 miles out of the way to a Tesla SC.

This "failure"...by Tesla not to release a CCS Combo 1 adapter in North America...is (a) puzzling and (b) annoying...
  • ...does not work with Models S and X [?]...
  • ...the S/X port cover/door would interfere [?]...
  • ...taking longer than expected...to...fit...Models S/X charging port [?]...
...why hasn't the darn thing been released here?...

Now that we know that the CCS1 adapter will (barely) fit the Models S & X charge port, I would try to order one. However, I have yet to see confirmation that it will actually work in a North American Model S or X.

Well, now that it has been mostly confirmed on TMC that the South Korean Tesla CCS1 adapter will (a) fit and (b) probably work in the "Classic" Models S & X, I ordered one using Harumio - Korea Forwarding Service . The process, so far has been straightforward and reassuringly detailed and professional.

One thing to keep in mind is that the time in Seoul, South Korea is, I believe, 16 hours and a calendar day ahead of the West Coast of North America. The messages from Harumio were all in English.
  • Started with Harumio website.
    • If you go to Harumio - Korea Forwarding Service and search for "Tesla," there is currently just the one item--the CCS1 adapter.
    • Submitted the very brief "get a quote" form. (4/19/22)
  • Heard back very quickly from Harumio with a confirmation email. (4/19/22)
  • Heard back with quote within 24 hours. (4/20/22)
    • They confirm whether the adapter is (or is not) available.
    • They ask for your Tesla account ID and password. However, they use their (Korea) mailing address, obviously, and their payment (not yours). They need the ID and password of a Tesla customer to be able to get into the SK Tesla system.
    • They ask if you want a formal invoice.
  • I thought about it for 24 hours and sent back an email request for the invoice. (4/21/2022)
  • Harumio responded to my email. (4/22/22)
    • They erroneously thought I lived in Canada, probably because I used "CA" as an abbreviation for California in an email message.
    • This was no problem, as my address was correctly entered, including "USA" and Zip, when I actually paid using PayPal. (See below.)
    • They also re-ask for the Tesla ID and password (if not provided before). I think that this is also to make sure you are a legitimate Tesla owner and not just an independent retailer or scalper. (Speculation by me.) I do not know if you could order more than one adapter. Maybe you can order as many as Tesla cars you have?
    • Thinking I was in Canada, they emphasized that customs taxes are outside of their control, so it is possible that there may be addition fees (collected by the shippers, DHL/FedEx in my case). That may or may not be true for the US. I don't know. But at least they discussed the possibility.
  • Harumio returned an invoice message (with "Complete your purchase" selection). (4/22/22)
  • I paid (I chose to use PayPal, and not my credit card). (4/22/22)
  • I received a confirmation email from Harumio. (4/22/22)
    • Order Number provided. (Can be checked online.)
    • Total was $318.50.
      • Adapter = $274.50.
      • Korea Shopping Agent & Proxy Service = $5.
      • Shipping was $39 (to DHL). (Shipping within Korea was free.)
      • As mentioned, there may be additional taxes required.
  • I sent my ID and Password. (4/22/22)
  • I received an email back from Harumio confirming the receipt of my information. (4/22/22)
    • "We shall now proceed with your order."
    • That was on Friday (Pacific Standard Time).
  • Didn't hear anything on Saturday (4/23/22), naturally.
    • It would be Sunday in Korea, I believe.
    • However, Harumio must have submitted the order to Tesla, there.
  • Received message from Tesla-South Korea, (4/24/22)
    • Confirmation of order.
    • Little image of adapter--reassuring to see.
    • Breakdown of cost.
    • In Korean (so used Google to translate).
  • Received second message from Tesla-South Korea.
    • Invoice (in Korean) attached.
    • I checked, and there is evidence of the order now, under my Tesla account, on the Tesla South Korea Orders webpage.
  • Now I just have to wait for shipping and handling in Korea and shipping across the Pacific to California.
    • Based on what I've read in TMC, it takes maybe a week for Harumio to physically receive the adapter from Tesla.
    • Once it receives the adapter Harumio quickly transfers it to the international shipper (probably within 24 hours?).
    • It may take as little as 5-7 days, give or take, to be delivered to a US customer? (I assume that would suggest airmail, plus customs.)
By the way, I did a quick non-scientific review of TMC members who indicated in posts that they had ordered or were planning to order a South Korean Tesla CCS1 adapter. I counted 18 as of a day or two ago. Most have Models 3 or Y, but some have Models S or X, whether refreshed or "classic." Some people need to install the CCS-compliance hardware, but most have CCS-enabled cars. So no real surprises.

I will update this bulletin as I learn more.

Last edited:
Note that 350kw is only for 800v cars I think, so does not apply to Tesla. Be interesting to see what you get, but it won't be 350kw or anything near it.
I tested the Tesla CCS 1 Adapter at a PetroCan 350kW charging station in Vancouver, BC, and got 126kW at low SOC (14%). Will be trying an Electrify America 350kW on the weekend as I should have it on Friday. :)

Reactions: boulder.dude
Well, now that it has been mostly confirmed on TMC that the South Korean Tesla CCS1 adapter will (a) fit and (b) probably work in the "Classic" Models S & X, I ordered one using Harumio - Korea Forwarding Service . The process, so far has been straightforward and reassuringly detailed and professional.

One thing to keep in mind is that the time in Seoul, South Korea is, I believe, 16 hours and a calendar day ahead of the West Coast of North America. The messages from Harumio were all in English.
    • If you go to Harumio - Korea Forwarding Service and search for "Tesla," there is currently just the one item--the CCS1 adapter.
    • They ask for your Tesla account ID and password. However, they use their (Korea) mailing address, obviously, and their payment (not yours). They need the ID and password of a Tesla customer to be able to get into the SK Tesla system.
  • I thought about it for 24 hours and sent back an email request for the invoice. (4/21/2022)
    • They erroneously thought I lived in Canada, probably because I used "CA" as an abbreviation for California in an email message.
    • This was no problem, as my address was correctly entered, including "USA" and Zip, when I actually paid using PayPal. (See below.)
    • They also re-ask for the Tesla ID and password (if not provided before). I think that this is also to make sure you are a legitimate Tesla owner and not just an independent retailer or scalper. (Speculation by me.) I do not know if you could order more than one adapter. Maybe you can order as many as Tesla cars you have?
    • Thinking I was in Canada, they emphasized that customs taxes are outside of their control, so it is possible that there may be addition fees (collected by the shippers, DHL/FedEx in my case). That may or may not be true for the US. I don't know. But at least they discussed the possibility.
  • Harumio returned an invoice message (with "Complete your purchase" selection). (4/22/22)
    • Total was $318.50.
      • Adapter = $274.50.
  • I received an email back from Harumio confirming the receipt of my information. (4/22/22)
    • Confirmation of order.
    • Breakdown of cost.
    • I checked, and there is evidence of the order now, under my Tesla account, on the Tesla South Korea Orders webpage.
  • Now I just have to wait for shipping and handling in Korea and shipping across the Pacific to California.
    • Based on what I've read in TMC, it takes maybe a week for Harumio to physically receive the adapter from Tesla.
    • Once it receives the adapter Harumio quickly transfers it to the international shipper (probably within 24 hours?).
    • It may take as little as 5-7 days, give or take, to be delivered to a US customer? (I assume that would suggest airmail, plus customs.)
By the way, I did a quick non-scientific review of TMC members who indicated in posts that they had ordered or were planning to order a South Korean Tesla CCS1 adapter. I counted 18 as of a day or two ago. Most have Models 3 or Y, but some have Models S or X, whether refreshed or "classic." Some people need to install the CCS-compliance hardware, but most have CCS-enabled cars. So no real surprises.

I have a 2022 M3 LR. Ordered on April 14 and DHL is scheduled to deliver on April 29 to Washington State. $323.16

Reactions: boulder.dude

• Total was $318.50.
      • Adapter = $274.50.
    • Confirmation of order.
    • Breakdown of cost.

Thanks for the writeup. I'm still leery of handing out my Tesla login info to some random person halfway around the world, but reading people say they've had no problems with the process gives some reassurance. So when should we change our PWs (after changing it to a temp PW) back to our regular password? Once the adapter order is reflected in our account?

Thanks for the writeup. I'm still leery of handing out my Tesla login info to some random person halfway around the world, but reading people say they've had no problems with the process gives some reassurance. So when should we change our PWs (after changing it to a temp PW) back to our regular password? Once the adapter order is reflected in our account?
One thing you can do to minimize blast radius is to make a second Tesla account and add it as driver to your car. I did this with Harumio and had no problem. They would still be able to control your car and see it’s location, but they can’t transfer ownership or see past orders, billing info, etc.

I changed the password after getting the order complete email from Tesla KR (Harumio approved this), and will remove the 2nd account as a driver once I hear from Harumio that it’s been received and forwarded.

Last edited:
They asked that we not change the password back until we get a tracking number from DHL.

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352

• Total was $318.50.
      • Adapter = $274.50.
    • Confirmation of order.
    • Breakdown of cost.

thanks for the guidance..

started at your step 1 & 2.. just now to do exactly the same :)

Reactions: VegasMYP
One thing you can do to minimize blast radius is to make a second Tesla account and add it as driver to your car. I did this with Harumio and had no problem. They would still be able to control your car and see it’s location, but they can’t transfer ownership or see past orders, billing info, etc.

I changed the password after getting the order complete email from Tesla KR (Harumio approved this), and will remove the 2nd account as a driver once I hear from Harumio that it’s been received and forwarded.

They asked that we not change the password back until we get a tracking number from DHL.

I (foolishly?) did not create a new account or even a new password. I did use PayPal, and am planning on changing my Tesla account password. I have not done that yet, however. Instinctively, I thought to wait until the procedure has advanced somewhat.

TigerPro and Jashev have answers to your good question.