Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cell phone holder: What a GREAT idea !!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just keep it in my pocket with Bluetooth on. Am I missing something (besides not charging while driving)?
As I don't have the tech package some kind of smart phone mount becomes super handy for TBT directions, and the magnet mount options noted up thread have been super useful for me. Also having a strong magnet on the back of my phone has come in handy a few other times as well.

I'll throw another magnet mount in the mix that I have used in three vehicles. The Neutron S from bungajungle.com Magnetic mounts in general are great because it is a one handed operation to connect and disconnect the phone when traveling down the road. The grey colored one is more stealthy looking and works great just to the left of the 17 inch screen under the vent. If you go to the Amazon website (Amazon.com: Neutron S - Universal Magnetic Phone and Tablet Mount - Deep Space Grey (magnetically shielded): Cell Phones Accessories) the last product picture shows it on the dash of a Model S. The magnet is very small and unobtrusive in my opinion. The metal disk that is attached to the back of the mobile phone(s) is non-magnetic but provides shielding (maybe a gimmick?). Also, the first Amazon review shows a great hack that I use. Cut a hole in the back of the cell phone case where the metal disk is attached. This does two things. It makes the magnetic connection very strong because of direct contact instead of going through the thickness of the mobile phone case. Also, the tiny thickness of the metal disk is about the same thickness as the case so that the mobile phone does not have a bump or protuberance. Both the magnetic mount and the disk are attached by a thin adhesive pad and can be removed without damage. I have removed the magnetic mount from two vehicles without problems. I mounted my square magnetic mount slightly higher than in the pics. When mounted, the bottom left of my phone rests on the raised leather portion. This provides stability to the phone and I can press anywhere on the touchscreen of the phone and it does not move. This is important to me so that I can use it easily and quickly. Not sure if the magnetic ball mount would allow that (although I like the idea of moving it around to avoid glare issues).

I like the Tetrax Geo. There are posts about it, pictures, and at least one video in this thread: iPhone / smartphone Mounts - Page 4

The big benefit as I see it is that with the Tetrax style I chose (there are several styles), you don't have to glue or tape anything to your Model S. I attached the holder portion to the vent to the left of the 17 inch display, as shown in the video in post number 40 in the thread I linked to, and then "stuck" the other portion to my phone's case.

Another option for you that I am currently using...

I just purchased a Smart and Easy mount and it works great! I have it mounted on the passenger side of my piano black and I can rotate or tilt it in any way I want. Plus, I can charge it very easily. One of the reasons I also like it is because the magnet is not attached to your phone so there is not much added weight added to my phone and there isn't the chance of demagnetizing your credit cards! I have an iPhone 6+ and sometimes I put it in my pocket with my wallet so that would be a nightmare! The one thing I did have to do though was mount the steel plate that it comes with on the outside of my phone as opposed to inside the case. I have a Spiegel case for my iPhone and for some reason it must be a little too thick to hold it securely to the magnet on the Smart and Easy. But with the thin steel plate mounted on the outside, it holds very secure and the entire look of the smart and easy mount is clean and very classy.

Amazon.com: #1 SMART EASY® Magnetic Cell Phone Holder - for All Cell Phone Sizes Apple or Android - Cell Phone Accessories - Installs on Any Surface - Desk, Wall, or Dashboard - Luxurious and Compact - Rotates 360 Degrees - For Original Bundle Always Buy from DAFQCO on Amazon: Electronics

Another option for you that I am currently using...

I just purchased a Smart and Easy mount and it works great! I have it mounted on the passenger side of my piano black and I can rotate or tilt it in any way I want. Plus, I can charge it very easily. One of the reasons I also like it is because the magnet is not attached to your phone so there is not much added weight added to my phone and there isn't the chance of demagnetizing your credit cards! I have an iPhone 6+ and sometimes I put it in my pocket with my wallet so that would be a nightmare! The one thing I did have to do though was mount the steel plate that it comes with on the outside of my phone as opposed to inside the case. I have a Spiegel case for my iPhone and for some reason it must be a little too thick to hold it securely to the magnet on the Smart and Easy. But with the thin steel plate mounted on the outside, it holds very secure and the entire look of the smart and easy mount is clean and very classy.

Amazon.com: #1 SMART EASY® Magnetic Cell Phone Holder - for All Cell Phone Sizes Apple or Android - Cell Phone Accessories - Installs on Any Surface - Desk, Wall, or Dashboard - Luxurious and Compact - Rotates 360 Degrees - For Original Bundle Always Buy from DAFQCO on Amazon: Electronics

Does the metallic disc you attach to the back of the phone interfere with NFC or wireless charging?

Steele Placed under vent to left of steering wheel opinions?

A lot of people here like the Abstract Ocean Slimline mount, which is a similar concept.

Slimline Magnetic Phone holder - Abstract Ocean

Pete, the owner of Abstract Ocean, is an active contributor here.

As for the location, I have my phone in a similar location, but on the right side. I don't know if I did that because I'm right-handed, or because the 17" display is there, so that if I'm glancing in that direction I see both the phone and the display, but I like that general location. If you're left-handed, the left side may work better for you.

what about a Kenu Airframe ? clips to any car vent

I have an Airframe which I've been using for a long with my iPhone & Audi.
Today I have a 70D on an overnight test drive and thought I'd check if it my Airframe fits, and it does. photos below.

like any vent-clip, downside is that it partially blocks airflow, but at least the Airframe is less bulky than most of the other vent clips out there. Quick and easy to mount/unmount the phone, and works with any iPhone case. Depending on your seating position, the steering wheel may partly block your view of the phone. unlike my old car, the Model S vents are not quite as conveniently positioned for this, but anyhow it works

Screen Shot 2015-10-21 at 6.54.22 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-10-21 at 6.54.34 PM.jpg