TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Cellular signal boosters

Discussion in 'Model X' started by VerityZooms, Aug 29, 2016.

1. VerityZooms

VerityZooms Member

I'm curious whether anyone on here has installed a cellular signal-booster in a Model X, yet? (Or even if you have any experience with previous vehicles.)

Some questions:

1. How effective have you found it to be? Was it worth the money? (especially the 4G / LTE-compatible ones, running $US 350 and up!)
    2. Do you think the more-powerful models (i.e. the WeBoost Drive 4G-X vs. the WeBoost Drive 4G-M, with a difference of $US 100) are worth it?
    3. Where, inside the cabin, did you install the slim repeater antenna? I've heard from other locations that the signal-boost is negligible if the receiving device is more than a few inches from the booster-antenna … which is really terrible. I'm tentatively thinking of installing it on top of the steering-column, so it's close to where I mount my phone …
    4. Relatedly, where, on the body of the car, did you mount the antenna? I saw Model S owner installed his ducky-antenna somewhere under the nose-cone; and I'm considering doing the same … but, I think I might install a third-party 12" antenna exterior to the car, despite that marring the clean lines, to improve the effectiveness of this investment …
    5. and finally: does anybody know where my installer can draw switched 12V DC power? I don't want a cellular-booster draining the 12V system when my car's sitting in the garage -_-
    (Since Teslas already have LTE antennas, I'm honestly a little surprised this isn't an included feature: large antenna built into the car for its' own use; optional upgrade to attach that antenna to a booster, and pipe it to an internal repeater in the cabin. “My phone always has five bars inside my Tesla!”)

2. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Hi,

Did you ever figure this out? I just got the LTE upgrade in the hopes that it would improve my performance and my reception is actually worse! I live in a mountainous area.

Thanks!

3. VerityZooms

VerityZooms Member

I've got a signal-booster; but I actually opted to use a Wi-Fi hotspot on the same antenna, instead:

Adding the hotspot to my existing plan only cost me $10/mo. Shares data with my phone. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4. madodel

madodel X at the end of a rainbow

So the antenna is just mounted to the rear hatch? Do you have a photo of what it looks like?

5. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Thanks! Does it solve the reception issue? Where did you mount the antenna?