Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cental Colorado FSD 12X challenge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2018 Model 3 always phantom brakes on highway 9 right around mile marker 39 (a few miles south of Hartsel). There is a change in pavement color in the north bound lane and a slightly blind double rise going south. I'm not sure what exactly causes the phantom braking, but it's very consistent. Since my car is too old for the latest FSD beta I can't test for any improvement.

If anyone is planning on driving highway 9 between Hartsel and Canon City I would appreciate any report on FSD 12X phantom brakes around MM 39.

Thanks

If there is a change in pavement color, that often suggest county lines. And where there are county lines, it's possible that the road segments in the maps aren't aligning well.
When you route, to somewhere, does the route indicate that this is a place?
Watch the visualization. Are there messages appearing? What about the car/road visualization.

This sounds much more like a mapping issue than a shadow braking, especially if it is continuing in FSD 12.3

If there is a change in pavement color, that often suggest county lines. And where there are county lines, it's possible that the road segments in the maps aren't aligning well.
When you route, to somewhere, does the route indicate that this is a place?
Watch the visualization. Are there messages appearing? What about the car/road visualization.

This sounds much more like a mapping issue than a shadow braking, especially if it is continuing in FSD 12.3
It's all in Park county, no messages on the screen, no changes in the visualization, and it routes past it just fine. The change in color is actually from where the chip seal didn't stick, so the car might be interpreting it as the mother of all potholes.

Funny, I went through Park Co. this weekend on 285 and noticed more phantom braking than I've experienced anywhere else so far. Weather was clear with no precipitation but I got a couple of random slowdowns using TACC+Lane Centering. This was prior to the 2024.3.6 update FWIW. 🤷‍♂️

Drove it again yesterday and the car still phantom brakes. Strangely it's close in each direction, but not at the exact spot.
CO9-north.JPG

The north bound lane is almost understandable. That could be an ugly hole, but it brakes so late as to be useless.

CO9-south.JPG

Southbound is more confusing as there's really nothing of note. Maybe it's a mapping issue as @ewoodrick suggested above.

Drove it again yesterday and the car still phantom brakes. Strangely it's close in each direction, but not at the exact spot.

The north bound lane is almost understandable. That could be an ugly hole, but it brakes so late as to be useless.

Southbound is more confusing as there's really nothing of note. Maybe it's a mapping issue as @ewoodrick suggested above.
If it's in both directions, that's highly suggestive of road segments not lining up.