Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Center Stack Touchscreen Speculation -- Adjustable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model 3 reservation and will be fine with the screen mounting as shown in the prototypes. And I say that after over 2 1/2 years of Model S ownership.

In any case, we know that the 3 is going to have an additional driver interface, and I don't expect to be looking at the center screen much while driving.

I think the floating screen looks great in concept. I'd prefer the final release to be integrated. Why? Dust. Getting in behind things to clean them out is a pain.

Put one in your car.... problem solved.
And it actually works quite well, and there are cheaper alternative in most dollar stores.

Duster-180---Product_04.jpg

I very much like the centre screen. Drive a 2004 Toyto Echo with a centre instrument cluster, got used to it seconds into a test drive, don't need the clutter just below my line of sight. Hope Tesla leaves like the prototype cars.

I'm worried about a center screen that floats looking like a nice target for thieves. In the days of the old floating garmin GPSs there was a reason everyone removed them and put them in their glove compartment after parking on the street.

I want floating screen.

for anyone that has a car built in the last 50+ years (since 1968), go out and look in the passenger compartment and find a sharp protruding corner. there aren't any because the NHTSA doesn't allow them. (having starting my first dozen years of driving in a 1967 while my friends hand cars not older than them ;), I feel I have some first hand knowledge of what changed in vehicles between 67 and after)

"FMVSS 201 ...no sharp or pointed parts can be placed in the vehicle interior that an occupant can come in contact with during a frontal crash"
The display will be wrapped into the dash without corners protruding that you could be impaled on or poke your eye out with.

Renault Zoe interior floating thing...

RENAULT-ZOE-INTERIOR-1.jpg

I'm going to say that purely for simplicity's sake in manufacturing, Tesla will stick with screen mounting as they have done it in previous models. Their process is already geared towards the screen and dash as one unit, and if you have to add the screen in after the dash is installed it *could* add time and resources to the process.

And if you curve those corners to satisfy the NHTSA, I think it'll look unappealing IMO (especially after looking at the above pic for the Renault). I think they have other things in mind with the dashboard, anyway.

Reactions: melindav
I'm going to say that purely for simplicity's sake in manufacturing, Tesla will stick with screen mounting as they have done it in previous models. Their process is already geared towards the screen and dash as one unit, and if you have to add the screen in after the dash is installed it *could* add time and resources to the process.

And if you curve those corners to satisfy the NHTSA, I think it'll look unappealing IMO (especially after looking at the above pic for the Renault). I think they have other things in mind with the dashboard, anyway.
The only thing that might make me think differently are the design sketches.

Compare:
Model 3
tesla-model-3-sketch.jpg

vs
Model S
model-s-sketch-drawing-franz-von-holzhausen.jpg

Granted the Model S and X prototypes had floating displays, the production version of the S screen looks much more like the sketch than the Model S prototype did.

The only thing that might make me think differently are the design sketches.

Compare:
Model 3
tesla-model-3-sketch.jpg

vs
Model S
model-s-sketch-drawing-franz-von-holzhausen.jpg

Granted the Model S and X prototypes had floating displays, the production version of the S screen looks much more like the sketch than the Model S prototype did.
True. I mean, there are ways they could design it to address the shortcomings mentioned in this thread. Hopefully we will know more soon*!

Reactions: JeffK

The Frodo look is definitely a no go, but a clean straight line rectangular form with say 3/4"- ish radius corners would fit nicely and satisfy NHTSA. However, I still much prefer an integrated architecture for the screen and HUD. Oh look, I mentioned HUD again.

Reactions: JeffK
I'm worried about a center screen that floats looking like a nice target for thieves. In the days of the old floating garmin GPSs there was a reason everyone removed them and put them in their glove compartment after parking on the street.

Who knows...
Maybe we get a screen that's swollowed by the dash, when you lock the car.:rolleyes: that would be a great gimmick...
Like in this one:

Reactions: arjay and SureValla
Floating or not it better be fixed rigidly. The last thing I would want is a big screen rattling in a quiet cabin. A floating contraption is just the sort of thing that would only begin to become a trouble years down the line and I intend to keep my M3 for as long as I can. If you haven't guessed by now, no I am not a fan. I like my dashboard solid and well put together.

To me, floating screens seem like design afterthoughts, not part of a ground-up, clean sheet-of-paper effort. Something you tack on because oops, we forgot about that. And screens that surface from within the dash seem like gimmicks. You have all these beautiful, rounded, flowing shapes and then the klaxon sounds, surface, surface, surface! and up comes this square thing.
I know Tesla's capable of better. Their current dash designs are proof. I just hope they are also willing to be better for the M3.
Robin

I'm also a bit worried about the sharp corners of the screen, I usually rest my knee/leg against that part of the center console. What if you hit a bump and your knee hits that sharp corner? What if you're parked and don't have the seatbelt on yet but get hit in the back of the car? If your head hits that top corner, it's gonna hurt! I like the idea of a floating screen, but I'm afraid it's not safe nor practical. Hope they still make some changes.

Reactions: Jayc