TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Ceramic Coated my PM3 and forgot about the spoiler/badge install. What to do?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by chr147, Aug 28, 2018.

1. chr147

chr147 Member

I've heard that ceramic coating would be bad for the adhesion of the spoiler/dual motor badging (once they arrive).

Being the genius that I am, I coated my car with a DIY ceramic coat without thinking of the spoiler and badge. What do you guys suggest I do? Is there a way to remove the coat in the adhesion area before they install? Or does it matter too much?

IMG_9385.jpg

2. Brian N

Brian N Member

If you want to be safe polish those areas to remove the coating. Then clean with something like Gyeon Prep or IPA.

After install you can just recoat any areas that remain exposed.

3. Trevor B

Trevor B Banned

Both are optional, you will survive ... not a biggie, life goes on!

4. goodlucktj

goodlucktj Member

I'm getting XPEL Ultimate on the front and Modesta BC-04 afterwards on my PM3 installed in September (literally only one guy in the metro who does ceramic or glass coatings).

My Tesla mobile service advisor (I live in Iowa, so no centers) told me the detail shop can remove all badges and they'll install new ones, including the Performance ones, once they arrive in the midwest.

Take that for what it's worth.

• Like x 1
  5. rdlink

rdlink Member

Leave those ugly warts off of that beautiful car. Problem solved.

• Like x 4
  6. goodlucktj

goodlucktj Member

I can see the follow-up now:

'But how will people know my car is the performance edition?'

Personally speaking, if I feel like showing off, I find they get the hint when I go from 30 to 80mph in a couple seconds.

7. OptAdam

OptAdam Member

You can re-install the badges just fine over the top of the coating. If you want to be absolutely certain just take a polish on a microfiber towel and rub in the area you want to install the badges and then alcohol wipe, install the badges and then recoat if necessary.

• Informative x 3
  8. wbhokie

wbhokie Member

At least for the badges, I have no intention of installing them

9. SigNC

SigNC Member

I'm sure a RWD or future SR owner will snap up your badges on ebay. ;)

• Funny x 1
  10. Brian N

Brian N Member

I think I said the same thing in the first post lol :p

But I agree. It’s pretty simple. Especially if OP had the know how it apply a coating in the first place.

11. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

I wouldn't install the badge anyway. That thing belongs in the junk drawer. The spoiler? You can just remove the ceramic coating from the trunk lid. Ask the company you got it from how to do so. Then put the spoiler on, and re-apply the coating. EZ.

12. pandam3

pandam3 Member

Its too late to put that spoiler on... just pm me and i’ll find better use for that spoiler on my not a p3d.

• Funny x 2
  13. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

I have an idea where you can put it... :D

• Funny x 2