Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ceramic Coating Advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had mine ceramic coated, and have washed it once in 2.5k miles. It can't stop everything from sticking, but the beading and shine on the upper surfaces is still perfect.

Forget the more esoteric stuff, it has two value points for me:
1. He correctly detailed the car, making up for Tesla's inability. He showed me quite how bad the paint was on the car beforehand via WhatsApp videos, including a million dead flies in the rear bumper paint (from transport we assume)
2. The treatment is so hydrophobic I don't usually need the windscreen wipers on fast roads. This compensates for the rather lacklustre auto wiper response

The guy is in Weston super mud if you want details
How much did you paid for it? I got quoted £900 for full correction and treatment.

£900 for a polish and ceramic (3 coats) of body/glass for me. Decided not to do aero wheel covers.
As soon as a detailer looks, they will see paint irregularities you hadn’t noticed, but once you’ve seen them, they are hard to forget...

I reckon you're both in the wrong part of Wales..come see me via my single track roads covered in tractor drop-off and find out about real dirt....
Boreholes and single tracks, you can take the prize for the most remote, but you probably won't best my local council on how many gritters they love to send past my house. It seems their equation is 2 tonnes of grit per house per degree under zero.

I've come to the conclusion that ceramic coating is mostly snake oil. Nearly all the products are sold via a closed detailer network and it's virtually impossible to find any information about what's in the products, how they work, and whether there's any verifiable proof that they work at all.

Based on my own research it seems that most/all of them are polysiloxane-based coatings, which in itself is good news. However, I'm not at all convinced that there is special sauce in particular brands that would distinguish them over the others, or that justify the prices being asked.

I personally think that the main benefit of a "ceramic coat" is the time and effort spent preparing the paintwork beforehand rather than the coating. That's what really adds the shine!

I've been using Klasse for some time now and it's cheap, easy to apply, and works really well. It's an acrylic sealing compound which generally, after a couple of coats, lasts several months before needing reapplying. I'd suggest you give the car a good polish (hand or DA polisher) and apply Klasse before splashing out on fancy ceramic treatments of questionable value.

I bought some Gtecknik serum light and EXO in the summer to ceramic coat the nose cone of my fifth wheel trailer which would take a full days work twice a year to clean. It would get black with dirt and it wasn't a case of just washing it off. Normal car shampoo would not touch it. I treated it myself in July and had enough left over for my pickup truck. (100ml bottles) I washed it for the first time last week and it took about 90 mins, working off a step ladder, including the shamy to dry it and it is like new. The rest of the trailer was polished at the same time and I am busy re applying that. A lot more work. Believe me, it is not snake oil. The serum light is available to consumers and if done incorrectly requires a machine polish to remove. The serum (not light) is only used by the professionals and if they cock that up can only be removed by wet and dry! Snakeskin oil it is not.
Am considering doing the rest of the trailer in the summer as I hate the job. Once done it is just a wash and chamois dry and it is like new. Lasts two or three years before the top coat has to be re applied. I also used the EXO top coat on the glass and it is like having rainex on it that never wears off.
You are right though that preparation is the key to this. I had to clay bar the whole surface and then wipe down with alcohol so the ceramic gets a good bond. Should be applied indoors and not in direct sunlight too.
When I get a Tesla, perhaps a pickup it will be the first thing I do.

it's the wheels that are the problem

My MS is Ceramic Coated. I hadn't washed the car for 6 weeks, until yesterday. Here is what my son and I did:-

1. Pressure washed (although hose may be sufficient) wheels, wheel arches both sides and front
2. Washed car thoroughly with mild shampoo and luke warm water using microfiber mitt
3. Washed wheels thoroughly using shampoo and very soft handbrush (from dustpan and handbrush set)
4. Pressure washed, on low setting, to remove all shampoo residue
5. Dried the car panelling
6. Using a sponge (spontex type) cleaned inside all doors, frunk and trunk, and windows (except windscreen) inside and out then dried using an old leather
7. Vacuumed the carpets
8. Had a quick look over the car making sure nothing missed and buffed where necessary with microfiber mitt.

This took us an hour and five minutes but the results were stunning.

My one problem is the inside of the front windscreen! Unfortunately my SO is a smoker and this tends to produce a film on the inside of the windscreen, which I find extremely difficult to access satisfactorily. I've experimented with various methods over the last 4 years. The latest, which we are trying today is to clean as thoroughly as possible with a damp microfiber cloth and washing up liquid, dry, clean again with microfiber cloth and white vinegar then with damp microfiber cloth and buff dry. Let's see!

My one problem is the inside of the front windscreen! Unfortunately my SO is a smoker and this tends to produce a film on the inside of the windscreen, which I find extremely difficult to access satisfactorily. I've experimented with various methods over the last 4 years. The latest, which we are trying today is to clean as thoroughly as possible with a damp microfiber cloth and washing up liquid, dry, clean again with microfiber cloth and white vinegar then with damp microfiber cloth and buff dry. Let's see!

My OH suffered a trapped nerve and asked me to clean the sun room windows inside. Alsoa tobacco film issue. After checking that she wouldn't be up to mopping floor either I abandoned my original idea of bringing the jetwash indoors and used plan B: Decorators stockinette soaked and wrung out from a bucket of very weak sugar soap and warm water followed by a rinse and dry with damp shammy - pristine in seconds. And looks like I'm condemned to doing them forever - she never got them that clean.
If you do got the vinegar or meths approach then polish with newspaper. (I had a student cleaning job 50 years ago)

IMG_20191202_141532.jpg
Washed the car this morning... after the hosepipe thawed! Was going to do a before and after pic but only remembered when I was well stuck into it :D

Just the paintwork and wheels, not glasswork. Took half an hour (after the hose flow thawed enough for the pressure washer to work!)

I'm still using an old bottle of Triplewax wash and wax car shampoo, which isn't really what I need when used in conjunction with the spray-on Car Plan sealant but I hate to see things go to waste!

Mine was nowhere near that dirty before I cleaned it this morning :D
Maybe every supercharger should have a pressure washer attached. give you something to do while charging. Might have to be a bit careful of the charge port though!
And you just know some idiot would go and try to plug the lance into the charge port and that would not end well. :)

And you just know some idiot would go and try to plug the lance into the charge port and that would not end well. :)

I'm the idiot who at a garage recently struggled to get the tyre pressure nozzle fitted on to the true valve and after becoming exasperated my wife then asked if I was intending to fill the tyres from the screen wash dispenser! My only excuse is that both hoses came out of the same metal box ... thankfully nobody else saw me ...