Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ceramic coating - did you have the glass done as well?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Vostok

Jul 1, 2017
Sydney
I’m getting quotes to have my Model 3 paintwork ceramic coated, but am wondering if anyone here has had the glass done as well and if so would they recommend it. The idea that rain will just bead and run off (given the amount of glass in the car), and that it makes keeping it clean easier, is very attractive. But only if it makes a real difference from untreated glass!

Thanks for all the feedback... useful to know.

My quotes for ceramic coating of the body range from $650 to $1000. The ones at the high end specify that they clean the car with the 2-bucket method, detail/surface decontamination, paint enhancement to remove imperfections then apply multi-layer ceramic coating. Also longer warranty. I guess you get what you pay for.

My quotes for ceramic coating of the body range from $650 to $1000. The ones at the high end specify that they clean the car with the 2-bucket method, detail/surface decontamination, paint enhancement to remove imperfections then apply multi-layer ceramic coating. Also longer warranty. I guess you get what you pay for.
The paint correction is critical as tesla give you the car with plenty of microscratches (probably from transport), and done properly its a full day process, depending on your colour it could go into two days. I wouldn’t give it to a cheapy operator.

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok
The paint correction is critical as tesla give you the car with plenty of microscratches (probably from transport), and done properly its a full day process, depending on your colour it could go into two days. I wouldn’t give it to a cheapy operator.
Ahh well there you go. The cheap quotes said they need the car for 6 hours. The expensive ones say they need it for a whole day, come in at 07:00, come back tomorrow. My car is (will be?) white.

Ahh well there you go. The cheap quotes said they need the car for 6 hours. The expensive ones say they need it for a whole day, come in at 07:00, come back tomorrow. My car is (will be?) white.
White takes the least amount of time, a full day for a model s. Dark colours take longer.
Dont know what wheels you are getting but they are also well worth doing. Much easier to clean once ceramic coated.

I had Ceramic Pro Brisbane detail our SR+. Looks amazing. They had the car for 10hrs and corrected the paintwork and applied 2 coats of ceramic coating, plus glass coating, wheels and interior and tinted windows for about $1000.
I’ve noticed water beading on the windows driving in the rain.
Website
Car Paint Protection Brisbane - Ceramic Pro Brisbane

C9C97D95-5DDB-426A-AB02-FA87B20D143D.jpeg

Reactions: louco73
I had Ceramic Pro Brisbane detail our SR+. Looks amazing. They had the car for 10hrs and corrected the paintwork and applied 2 coats of ceramic coating, plus glass coating, wheels and interior and tinted windows for about $1000.
Website

View attachment 487722
Don’t want to disappoint you, but a premium quality ceramic coating achieves nothing with a 2nd application, indeed the very best coatings cannot be applied twice as they go milky. Further, beading is what cheap coatings do. Beading holds the contaminants on the paint and if you have a dark colour you’ll see lots of hard to remove rings when dry. A premium coating repells all water, no beading.

Don’t want to disappoint you, but a premium quality ceramic coating achieves nothing with a 2nd application, indeed the very best coatings cannot be applied twice as they go milky. Further, beading is what cheap coatings do. Beading holds the contaminants on the paint and if you have a dark colour you’ll see lots of hard to remove rings when dry. A premium coating repells all water, no beading.
To clarify. Beading on the window screen only. The paintwork is Spoltess.

Website

View attachment 487722

1000AUD including a tint and paint correction and sealant? You know when it sounds too good to be true!?

1000AUD including a tint and paint correction and sealant? You know when it sounds too good to be true!?

I’ve seen a few QLD members quote prices around there for QLD and from highly reputable detailers. I also was very surprised to see a price that low with tinting included as here in Melbourne the prices are at least 40-50% more for the same thing.

It could be a QLD thing where they have to price it lower vs Melbourne/Sydney where there are a lot more cars getting it done and thus higher demand vs supply.

I just did Opticoat 2.0 on my 3 (and my S last year after it was already 6 years old...makes it so much easier to clean!)
optimum no rinse wash. clay bar. IPA. opticoat. <$100 & several hours. car stays so much cleaner! was a bit worried about the white & thinking I should have done grey again until I added this.
no 'paint enhancement' but the car is pretty perfect & I can't see any problems with the pearl white

accidentally got a tiny bit of opticoat on my S windshield & don't recommend getting any ceramic coating on glass! (it actually says to be careful not too:oops:) taped the 3 glass roof edge this time just to be careful

• Informative
Reactions: Bluebay
accidentally got a tiny bit of opticoat on my S windshield & don't recommend getting any ceramic coating on glass! (it actually says to be careful not too:oops:) taped the 3 glass roof edge this time just to be careful

@Zextraterrestrial
what problem did you have? My detailer has offered to put Opti Glass on the windscreen for free but I’m thinking of telling him to put it on the sunroof instead. Not keen on affecting the wipers.

I’m getting ceramic coating on the body including paint correction and side window tinting for $1300. Plus free Uber from & to. Can’t forget that bit :). My chosen applicator has lots of 5-star reviews on Google, for what it’s worth.
Depends on the type of ceramic coating and brand of window tint. Without knowing that its not possible to consider it a good or bad deal. I’m sure you’ve researched that though.