Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ceramic Coating on top of PPF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PPF= a bit overhyped these days.

Adds nothing to resale value, and as long as Ive been selling cars myself? I cant think of a single time/car sale, where PPF would have made a difference.

I garage my car, wash it by hand only, apply a good coat of sealant to it regularly (spray on..takes me maybe 15 mins a month tops. And the water beads are tiny/tight) and when its time to sell it? I take good pics and..sell it for a good price. Maybe its due to where I live (not on a rocky unpaved road) but Ive simply never had that much rock related damage up front to be an issue, Even after well over 100k miles on the cars. For that much money? One can get a good private body shop to repray the entire car in original paint when its time to sell.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
So question…does ceramic even bond on ppf?
Seems like it’s made to adhere to painted surfaces and paint…not ppf film?

I would think it would make more sense to ceramic the paint first, it shines like wax and then ppf on top? Lock in that wax look underneath for life? Or ppf cannot have any layer between it and the paint?

Just seems like ceramic on ppf is not what it was intended to be applied over. Anyone know the actual science here?

Anyone know what the advantages of doing a Ceramic Coating on top of Paint Protection Film (Xpel) and why I would get a quote from a vendor to do this? I was quoted $3085 for the entire PPF, using Xpel, on a Model Y with Ceramic Coating on top included. Name of the firm is 407 Custom in Orlando, FL. They are a certified vendor listed by Expel. Seems like the best price I could find, but they’re the only ones to suggest Ceramic Coating on top of the Expel PPF. Any ideas or comments in the process and price?
Good price. I paid about $5500 for full PPF and ceramic

I would think it would make more sense to ceramic the paint first, it shines like wax and then ppf on top? Lock in that wax look underneath for life? Or ppf cannot have any layer between it and the paint?

Just seems like ceramic on ppf is not what it was intended to be applied over. Anyone know the actual science here?
You make sense; we are told that the ceramic fills the "pores" in the gelcoat.
Hower, PPF is super smooth. So, perhaps the ceramic just provides an additional glaze to the PPF. Some ads suggest that the PPF is protected by the ceramic against ultra violet yellowing.

I am still not sure about the value of the ceramic in a no PPF situation. I had it applied to an X3 a few years ago and was not overwhelmed. Also,the water dispersion effect wore off after a year. To be fair, BMW finishes are anyway very good and the ceramics have probably improved over time.

Is the growing obsession with protecting and preserving Tes, she with whom we are besotted, because she is rather thin skinned?

My Beyerische Brunhildes have never really been stoned or chipped much. They do however attract cretin (un) controlled supermarket trolleys - the only wrap for that is a shroud and a gene pool reduction...
.... Bitter? Me? What can you mean...

Wildly suggested not to apply PPF to ceramic since it can affect how well the PPF adheres to the vehicle…

Reactions: Destiny1701
I did my own XPel PPF, then put this ceramic coat from Esoteric on top. I was pretty happy with the way it turned out. I also got some ISM 1.0 to put on the non-PPF parts of the car, to include the trim and wheels. I had no issues at all doing this and it was my first time for ceramic. Kamikaze Surface Film Coat
JonB65, it's been almost a year. How is the ceramic holding up on top of PPF? Are you using a ceramic boost? How do expect to handle the ceramic when it wears out before the PPF?

Im not an expert on this. I bought Halo from Gtechniq. It is flexible and meant to go on top of PPF. From what I read, ceramics are for making your maintenance life easier. It's supposed to make washing your vehicle much easier. How does the ceramic hold up on top of PPF? Should you use a ceramic boost? How do you expect to handle the ceramic when it wears out before the PPF?

I have ceramic over PPF on my car and I absolutely love it. The ceramic is particularly great as it makes the whole car very "slick". Rain simply slides off and it significantly reduces my car wash times. Bugs are easier to clean off and unless i'm in torrential downpour, I almost never need to use the wipers since the water just beads away immediately.

Also note - PPF must go first and ceramic on top. If you do it the other way around, your PPF won't stick. Also, my installer said there's a specific (or different) formulation of ceramic that is made to go on top of PPF so it's slightly different. For what it's worth, both my PPF and ceramic are Xpel.

I have ceramic over PPF on my car and I absolutely love it. The ceramic is particularly great as it makes the whole car very "slick". Rain simply slides off and it significantly reduces my car wash times. Bugs are easier to clean off and unless i'm in torrential downpour, I almost never need to use the wipers since the water just beads away immediately.
It sounds great. Which model and colour is it?
Also, an idea of the cost please.

I believe these things cost more here than in the USA.

Also note - PPF must go first and ceramic on top. If you do it the other way around, your PPF won't stick. Also, my installer said there's a specific (or different) formulation of ceramic that is made to go on top of PPF so it's slightly different. For what it's worth, both my PPF and ceramic are Xpel.
I bought Halo from Gtechniq. It's flexible coating just for PPF. I am wondering how long you've had your coating on. Do you apply a booster meant for the coating. I am also wondering about the longevity of the coating as compared to the PPF. I think the PPF will last longer than the coating. If that is true, can you apply a second coating on top of the old.

It sounds great. Which model and colour is it?
Also, an idea of the cost please.

I believe these things cost more here than in the USA.
Price will change depending on region - I'm in Ohio which I think is likely middle market.

I spent just under 8k as a package deal but that included Xpel Matte PPF (over black MY - looks spectacular and is a major head turner), 2 coats minimum of ceramic on all surfaces including wheels windows body etc (both ppf and ceramic come with 10 year no questions asked warranty), minor paint correction and all around Xpel XR tint (no roof).

Reactions: Wattsisname
PS How are the insurance companies with it the USA? They are not too fond of PPF here in the UK.
Why wouldn't they like PPF? It protects the car from damage aka saves them money. Seems odd. Anyways, I don't think PPF factors in one way or the other when it comes to insurance in the US. I don't think it factors in much either when it comes to resale other than the fact my paint will be nicer 5-10 years down the line vs the next guy who doesn't have it. Probably not 8k nicer but I plan to keep the car for life so it's more for my peace of mind.

Reactions: Wattsisname