Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chademo adapter compatibility to CCS compatible Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's the word straight from the Falcon's mouth:
Retrofit CCS compatibility onto earlier (NA) Model 3 - DIY approach

Reactions: LoudMusic
Upvote 0
My model 3 2021 does not have the retrofit CCS chip, so I cannot use CCS1 chargers. Can I still use CHAdeMO when my car does not support CCS?
It should work. I have not heard of a Model 3 that could not use the CHAdeMO adapter. In other words, I don't think the CCS compatibility has any effect on the CHAdeMO adapter.

The one known incompatibility is the European and other overseas Tesla vehicles with native Type-2 CCS charge ports. They cannot use the corresponding CHAdeMO adapter because they don't have the ability to pass DC on the upper Type-2 pins. The Type-2 to CHAdeMO adapter only works on S & X vehicles that had the unified Type-2 charge port that supported AC and Supercharger on the same pins.

Reactions: Mario Veras
Upvote 0
CHAdeMO charging can still be used even if your car does not support native CCS charging, BUT, you will still need the CHAdeMO-to-Tesla (aka NACS) adapter.

edit: Looks like @miimura and I tied answering the post. @Mario Veras If you do not already have the CHAdeMO adapter, you will probably not be able to find one cheaply. They were sold by Tesla up until a couple of years back for about $500. You will now only find them on the secondary market (i.e., eBay, Craigslist, Tesla forums, etc.) and in the recent past, have commanded a premium over the $500. However, now that the newest cars can natively connect to a CCS handle (again, using an adapter), there might be people dumping the CHAdeMO adapter....

Last edited:
Reactions: Mario Veras
Upvote 0
Thanks guys. I’ve seen the CHAdeMO adapters for Tesla being sold for $400 and higher in the secondary market as you stated. I don’t think it’s worth it as there are very few CHAdeMO chargers in my area. Most are J1772, CCS1 or Tesla. Right now I charge with J1772 or Tesla chargers. However, I’m looking forward to Tesla offering the CCS retrofit. Not sure when that will happen. I know they say “early 2023” but I take that with a grain of salt.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Upvote 0
The easiest CHAdeMO-to-Tesla adapters to find are probably the ones attached to some EVgo charging stations which have the CHAdeMO plug plugged into the adapter with the Tesla cable attached to the back end. But that does not help if you go to some other EVgo or non-EVgo charging station.

evgo-station-with-tesla-connector.webp

evgo-tesla-station.webp

Upvote 0
My 2022 Model S Plaid and another 2021 Model S Plaid I’ve driven both have not been able to connect by Chademo. Both cars are CCS enabled but the Chademo sessions disconnect as soon as the charging sessions start. Other people have been using the station just fine and my Model 3 worked fine. Unless it’s specific to refreshed Model S, I have a haunch the CCS enabled cars have conflict with Chademo.

Upvote 0
My 2022 Model S Plaid and another 2021 Model S Plaid I’ve driven both have not been able to connect by Chademo. Both cars are CCS enabled but the Chademo sessions disconnect as soon as the charging sessions start. Other people have been using the station just fine and my Model 3 worked fine. Unless it’s specific to refreshed Model S, I have a haunch the CCS enabled cars have conflict with Chademo.

Could be something specific to the Model S/X. I've used all three systems (SC, CCS, and CHAdeMO) with my Model 3.

One time I was using an EVgo with the built in CHAdeMO adapter. Worked fine for me, but not for a Model X that pulled in after me. Same symptoms as yours, and it was an older Model X.

Reactions: blkswn
Upvote 0
Strange. I could never really figure out this issue. Would love to hear if anyone has figured it out.
Sorry for the late-ish reply, but...

It may make a difference on the sequence you connect the CHAdeMO adapter. I used to plug the adapter into the CHAdeMO handle and then plug the adapter into my car. I then authorize the station with my ChargePoint RFID card. However, after experiencing a few times where the station would not start charging, I reversed the procedure. I now plug in the CHAdeMO adapter into my car first and then plug the CHAdeMO handle into the adapter. Then activate the charging. After doing it this way now for many months, I have yet to encounter a failed charging session.

Upvote 0
I have a one week old Sept. 2023 Model X Plaid. My 2019 CHAdeMO adapter worked fine with my 2018 model X, but unfortunately, the Plaid communicated with the CHAdeMO plug on the BC Hydro charge station, then shut off with no energy transfer :( A new CCS1 to Tesla adapter I bought off Amazon worked perfectly on the Plaid, requesting and receiving 50 kw on the same station's CCS plug.

Upvote 0