Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CHAdeMO adapter sold out. New adapter coming?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a new L2 charger in Austin near town lake. I walked over to it today after talking a lap on the trail and noticed it has 2 different charger connectors. I wasn't planning on buying $450 CHAdeMO connector but this charger is VERY close to my office. Still would take me a lot of chargers to make up for $450. I think I would only buy CHAdeMO if the "new one" is a lot cheaper and I planned on more trips where SCs weren't along the path. There is also an L1 charging station here which I believe is J1772.
1x CHAdeMO Connector
1x SAE Combo Connector
IMG_1261.JPG IMG_1262.JPG

There's a new L2 charger in Austin near town lake. I walked over to it today after talking a lap on the trail and noticed it has 2 different charger connectors. I wasn't planning on buying $450 CHAdeMO connector but this charger is VERY close to my office. Still would take me a lot of chargers to make up for $450. I think I would only buy CHAdeMO if the "new one" is a lot cheaper and I planned on more trips where SCs weren't along the path. There is also an L1 charging station here which I believe is J1772.
1x CHAdeMO Connector
1x SAE Combo Connector
View attachment 173681 View attachment 173682
It's the first of several CHAdeMO/CCS charging stations to be installed in the Austin Energy "plug-in anywhere" program of $25 for 6 months unlimited charging. Until now they only had 30A J1772s.
By the way you need to add 1 to your levels--
L3 is DC fast charging
L2 is 240V such as J1772, 14-50, or HPWC
L1 is 120V.

@loganintx, if you're not in the Austin Tesla owners Google group please email me efudman at gmail. I can't figure out how to send a PM with this new forum software.

Last edited:
For now, I guess a CCS adapter would be useful in Europe, but where is the need in North America? Almost every station that has CCS also has CHAdeMO, except perhaps crippled units at BMW dealers.

The CHAdeMO adapter is limited to 125A. If GEN2 CCS or CHAdeMO stations pop-up that can deliver more than that, then of course the story changes.

For now, I guess a CCS adapter would be useful in Europe, but where is the need in North America? Almost every station that has CCS also has CHAdeMO, except perhaps crippled units at BMW dealers.
Reading the patent, Tesla's standard is a lot closer to CCS than CHAdeMO. That means potentially the adapter can be much simpler/smaller and less expensive. That would be a big advantage (right now the $450 price still gives some people pause).

• Informative
Reactions: RiverBrick
1x CHAdeMO Connector
1x SAE Combo Connector
View attachment 173681 View attachment 173682

Just in case you don't know:

J1772 is usually L2 when used in public
Chademo and SAE Combo are L3 or DC fast charging not L2.

The way your post was worded I wasn't sure if you meant the new L2 charger was chademo/SAE combo or if you meant there was a new L2 and then went on to talk about those which weren't L2.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Reading the patent, Tesla's standard is a lot closer to CCS than CHAdeMO. That means potentially the adapter can be much simpler/smaller and less expensive. That would be a big advantage (right now the $450 price still gives some people pause).

That is in interesting point, but in North America and in Japan the number of CHAdeMo only sites would make a CCS only adapter less practical. Of course, I am still naively hoping they start offering Tesla plugs since triple-standard ccs, chademo and 43 kW AC units exist in Europe.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Vizir and Mark Z