Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chamberlain Home Link not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My new X ( delivered a few weeks ago) has a different setting that my previous Model S, in this new system you have to select a system for the programing, one of them is Chamberlain which is one of those systems that learn the remote. That is not working, I can only program using the "standard" system with a remote control in front of the car.
Anybody else having this problem. Is this part of the update that is supposed to come with the Autopilot, auto wipers etc etc?

That is the most common method. We used it also with a Chamberlain. It seems to be the method with a rolling code which is most common. You have the car learn the remote by standing by hood and holding button, then you have to press button on garage door opener itself to have it in learn/accept remote code, and you quickly go back to car and trigger homelink and its accepted.

My Chamberlin Liftmaster did not need the remote. I hit the learn button on the wall mounted door opener as per onscreen instructions. I knew it worked before I tried it, because the light flashed.

I found it faster to do my other garage doors using the remote.

Sorry maybe I did not explain myself well. My model S had the system that work with "learn" switch on my garage. I started with the garage, press "learn" and then go to the car and proceed. That is how works with every car. But my new Model X does not work like that, has an option for "standard" which means I have to use a remote, stand in front of the car and do it, but also has the option for "Chamberlain" and "default rolling" none of this two work. I could go and buy a remote and do it the standard way but that would be to accept that the model X system does not work.
I hope this
IMG_1304.jpg
IMG_1305.jpg
IMG_1306.jpg
pictures explain it

This morning I was successful in programming HomeLink on my MX with a new Chamberlain garage door opener. I just followed the instructions on the Tesla screen. Worked first try. Consider resetting your Tesla computers and try again.

But if you do it with a remote? I can do it with a remote with my chamberlain garage but not with the chamberlain system in the car. Did you set it like the pictures I sent or used the default standard system?

If you did it with the remote is not the problem I have, mine also works with the remote going in front of the car.
The problem with the standard procedure is that it is not secure because younarebteachingnthe car a bout a remote, so that remot desoj ton become unique. The chamberlain system is to have the car generate its own signal. In my case I need different signal because I have a gate and a garage and I can't use the same remote even though both are chamberlain. That si why the X has the options (like all cars with homelink) to do it directly with chamberlain and not with a remote standing in front of the car. Se pictures above

That si why the X has the options (like all cars with homelink) to do it directly with chamberlain and not with a remote standing in front of the car.

I had never seen such a thing until now. Certainly all other HomeLink cars I've owned have always done the point-the-remote method. That said, I just looked at the latest Cayenne user manual as an example and while they don't call out Chamberlain specifically, they do have a separate programming method for "changeable-code systems". So there's my 'new thing' I learned today. ;)

Probably is the 8.0 update.
Changeable code systems and rolling systems are made to protect the house because if somode stole your remote, you lost it or negihbor that by coincidence has the same code, it would opne your garage. A rollling code keeps on changing, is not a set of numbers.

So in summary YES you could program your tesla with the "standard system" going in front of the car and the car learning the freqeuncy of the remote. If you lose that remote it will be the same as the car. Now if the car emits a unique code and you have your garage "learned" that code only the car has it.
In Tesla it used to be one system, or you use the remote or have the garage learn, now it gives you options ( see my pictures above). But this is also no a perfect system becuse it states that if you changes systems you delete the Homelink so if you had a garage with Chamberlain and a gate with another system you would have to use a remote in one of them.