Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change from alcantara to cloth on PUP???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats on the S. PICS of Model 3 interior! :)
Well I've had my S for over 2yrs now. I was picking it up from service. But better late than never, right? Anyway, I talked to a couple of people regarding the Alcantara issue. One person explained to me that they had a supplier that stopped talking to them (Tesla) after about 2,000 vehicles. So this is the material they are putting in the car now.

I have confirmed through another person there that I do have the Alcantara and when I pressed him to show me a 3 with the new interior, he walked me up to the car that was Supercharging and showed me through the window. When I peered through the rear window you can clearly see some type of weave pattern in the material. Was hoping I was able to take a picture from inside the car but didn't find a 3 with an owner nearby. I guess Tesla has strict policy against letting other people in other people's car.

This car had VIN 3xxx. I guess now I should feel lucky that I got a lower VIN.

I don't see "Alcantara" anywhere in the "Premium Upgarde" text/description. Why would folks assume it's "Alcantara"? I'm thinking it's a cheaper knock off...not saying it's inferior...just saying it's not "Alcantara".
Saying alcantara here is a proprietary eponym like calling facial tissues, Kleenex or bandages, Band-aids for example. Yes, even though “alcantara” is specific trademarked brand name, it has become synonymous with the suede type material used in automotive interiors.

Reactions: stevejust
What are you visors covered in?
This turned out to more interesting than I expected. The visors are mostly covered in the same woven cloth material as the headliner and B pillar. But the little flap that covers the vanity mirror looks like the alcantara.

To put all of this in the proper perspective, the people I've showed the car to so far have all said "om my god, look at that glass roof!" No one has commented on the headliner material.

IMG_7765.JPG
IMG_7766.JPG
IMG_7768.JPG

This turned out to more interesting than I expected. The visors are mostly covered in the same woven cloth material as the headliner and B pillar. But the little flap that covers the vanity mirror looks like the alcantara.

To put all of this in the proper perspective, the people I've showed the car to so far have all said "om my god, look at that glass roof!" No one has commented on the headliner material.

View attachment 272441 View attachment 272442 View attachment 272443

Hoping this looks a lot better in person, during the day... Does it? The photos make it look very noticeable especially the mix materials

Reactions: zmarty

View attachment 272441 View attachment 272442 View attachment 272443[/QUOTE s
Thanks. I suppose vanity mirror cover will change as well to match, but not sure. The fabric might be too stiff and not fold as well like the alcantara one. Guess we will see how this all plays out...

Well I've had my S for over 2yrs now. I was picking it up from service. But better late than never, right? Anyway, I talked to a couple of people regarding the Alcantara issue. One person explained to me that they had a supplier that stopped talking to them (Tesla) after about 2,000 vehicles. So this is the material they are putting in the car now.

I sure hope this doesn't apply to future Model S or Model X builds.

Reactions: TQCLove
Hm. a decent point.

Regardless, people getting their knickers in a twist over it with claims that its as bad as a Civic or GM product is a bit extreme - as I said, my 2014 S has this material on its headliner and that doesn't make it any less of a luxury car. Alcantara headliners in Model S were an upgrade.

It doesn't make sense to me why Tesla would build the first cars with alcantara and change now, though.

Oh, you mean an upgrade like PUP?

Of all the scenarios, this absolutely seems like the most likely. But what the heck Tesla, how much spare inventory of parts do you keep in stock, like 5 cars worth??? Smh haha they only had 2000 of them after all these months.

How many people were talking about their headliner before this whole thing came up? As in, how many people were like "wow this headliner material is really premium and just great" - because i didn't see ANY of that. Therefore, is this really that significant or impactful?

I honestly could not care either way as i'm sure (and others have posted pics) the new fabric is still a premium material and i trust Tesla not to put something crappy in the premium upgrade for a $50K car.

However, I totally agree that Tesla needs to be more transparent with how they implement these changes, especially with how the ordering/configuring process works and the lag between sending large amounts of money and receiving a car.

View attachment 272441 View attachment 272442 View attachment 272443

What the heck. The one I saw had full alcantara visors, yours is one step closer to all textile.

Status
Not open for further replies.