Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change from alcantara to cloth on PUP???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was getting worried and then I looked a the headliner in my 2016 Model X and it has the exact same woven material and the Model 3 and it looks great and I love it. This is much to do about nothing. I'm very much forward to my Model 3 delivery with a woven textile headliner later this month!
Honestly, people will complain about anything. If someone really wants Alcantara on the headliner, it can easily be done after the fact. The material is not cheap but there is not much to cover on the Model 3.

Honestly, people will complain about anything. If someone really wants Alcantara on the headliner, it can easily be done after the fact. The material is not cheap but there is not much to cover on the Model 3.

Unfortunately, it appears the frustration is less about the headliner but what feel like obfuscation and poor customer communication on the part of Tesla. They can and should do better because so many customers / employees serve as ambassadors to the brand. This could go bad for Tesla if they let this sort of thing go unaddressed.

Here is the respond I got from Executive Care Team:

Hello Eric,

As we continue to increase production of Model 3 and produce more high quality cars for customers, all Model 3 vehicles are being made with the same premium textile headliner found in our flagship Model S and Model X vehicles, which has always been planned at this stage of production. The Model 3 is a great car, and the premium package (PUP) retains premium finishes throughout the cabin, and benefits from a variety of other functional enhancements including premium audio, upgraded side mirrors, and heated front and rear seats.

This is the product that we are making going forward, and we did not communicate that customers would receive a specific material. We made this transition in S/X some time ago, and have been referring to this material as a Premium Headliner in those vehicles.The current material is also a premium headliner, but with a different texture, where durability has remain unchanged, and this is our product that we stand behind.

I hope this helps clear things up for you, and my apologies if it was not the exact response you desired. Thank you for being part of our growing Tesla family!
There it is again! Heated rear seats. How exactly does one turn them on?

What did they say? Link?

A service tech isn't Tesla. What has Elon or Franz said?

“As we continue to increase production of Model 3 and produce more high quality cars for customers, all Model 3 vehicles are being made with the same premium textile headliner found in our flagship Model S and Model X vehicles, which has always been planned at this stage of production.”

They did.
Their "statement" doesn't count as a statement, in fact that's the opposite, it's a -1 statement because it says the change "has always been planned at this stage of production". Uh-huh...... that was either

1) a huge lie, or
2) a huge slip up exposing a different lie.

1) If something changed and Tesla decided to discontinue it (alcantara became too expensive or they had a bad relationship with the supplier), then saying it's "always been planned" is a complete lie, and they ought to tell us the truth. Shame.

2) If they're being honest and it's always been planned at this stage of production, then there's only 1 reason why, and that was to get unwarranted positive reviews from the press who saw alcantara/get people pumped to put down $1000 for something they knew wouldn't pan out, which also in hindsight counts as a lie. If you don't agree with either of these scenarios, then someone come up with a better one! WHY would you PLAN to make only ~2000 cars one way then switch it up???

Not to mention the black (not grey) headliner in demo cars with the ultra white seats, those have just never been made at all. Why would you "PLAN" for that?? I've defended Tesla in every case but this, but I'm NOT buying that statement.Tesla: that statement is an irrefutable LIE, shame on you!!

Last edited:
Their "statement" doesn't count as a statement, in fact that's the opposite, it's a -1 statement because it says the change "has always been planned at this stage of production". Uh-huh...... that was either

1) a huge lie, or
2) a huge slip up exposing a different lie.

1) If something changed and Tesla decided to discontinue it (alcantara became too expensive or they had a bad relationship with the supplier), then saying it's "always been planned" is a complete lie.

2) If they're being honest and it's always been planned, then there's only 1 reason why, and that was to get unwarranted positive reviews from the press/get people pumped to put down $1000 for something they knew wouldn't pan out, which also in hindsight I suppose also counts as a lie. If you don't agree with either of these scenarios, then someone come up with a better one! WHY would you PLAN to make only ~2000 cars one way then switch it up??? Not to mention the black (not grey) headliner demo cars that go along with the ultra white seats, those have just never been made at all. Why would you "PLAN" for that?? I've defended Tesla in every case but this, but I'm NOT buying that statement.Tesla: that statement is a LIE!!

Jiminy.

Hopefully you don't turn them on from the 15in screen.

Of course you do.

Unfortunately, it appears the frustration is less about the headliner but what feel like obfuscation and poor customer communication on the part of Tesla. They can and should do better because so many customers / employees serve as ambassadors to the brand. This could go bad for Tesla if they let this sort of thing go unaddressed.

They changed stuff and announced it. They could have made the announcement a few days earlier but what else do you want?

They changed stuff and announced it. They could have made the announcement a few days earlier but what else do you want?

I want those who signed contracts and gave non-refundable deposits to get what they expected. If that means Tesla pay for a local customizer to do an alcantara install - so-be-it.

Also, I want Tesla to stop making these sort of rookie mistakes and getting comfortable with taking folks money first with a promise to give them something later. Are you listening Elon "Wimpy" Musk?

The original light textile was *awful*. The only viable headliner imo is the black alcantera (of current choices).

If the new "premium" headliner (meaning all 9-10 pieces, btw) is this grey waffle weave crap, I shudder to think of what the standard material will be.

Try cleaning waffle weave sometime. Watch how it doesn't fit well with the molding in the earlier Model S/X.

While grey is an improvement over the original tan, and while it appears that the new waffle weave is more robust than the original, this is in no way an improvement over microfiber (Alcantera).

Note to self: Continue the search for a CPO RWD AP1 S85 as Tesla #3 to get through the next 3 years of *polite cough* product line growing pains.

Consider what we should have by early Q2 2021 after the obligatory announcement for FSD in Q4 2020. Now *that* could be a keeper. Today's schmaltz? Not so much.

Reactions: zmarty and TEG
It really is ok for people to have their opinions. Its not a violation of anything.

Tesla seems to want to be a company that is caring and loving towards their customers. There is an expectation that one should have when believing that another person or company desires to have a relationship of openness and such with their customers.

Reactions: S3XY
I have alcantara in the premium (black) interior of my 2016 MS. I dislike it. It think it looks sloppy and cheap, especially on the dash and A pillars that I see all the time while driving. Maybe I was spoiled by the leather dash in my previous Jag XKL.

Good riddance to alcantara on my forthcoming 3.
I love the alcantara in my S. People comment on it all the time and after 3 years it still looks great.

Status
Not open for further replies.