Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changed Order from 3P+ to SR+, Am I Crazy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found a good deal on a 2019 demo Performance with everything I wanted, just an hour from my delivery center. Had a good discount applied, and with removal of FSD I could "almost" afford it (Daughter heading to college in a couple years). Today on a whim I went into a SC and drove an SR+, and figured, for $20k less, its still a great car.

I have a 20 mile total commute most days, so range anxiety is not a huge factor for me (wife has an LRAWD, and she stresses on any trip beyond the market (?)). I was thinking I'd miss the gutteral punch of the Performance, but the SR is still fun to drive.

I usually have upgrade-itis, but I feel remarkably OK with this decision. . . Same color (blue) same interior (white), 19" instead of 20" wheels.

Am I going to regret this?

Haha, I agree with every response so far. . . I should add I'm buying a demo with 2700 miles, and about the same discount, and will be getting about $4k in rebates, so the numbers are undeniably reasonable, but I'm selling this to make room, goodbye V8 stick convertible (still hesitant about that, too. . . )
20191211_104726.jpg

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
If I had lots of money to spare, I'd maybe get a "P", but more likely a fully luxe'd out Model X WITH the biggest battery and lots of additional customization. And I'd order a Founder's edition 2020 Roadster, and a 3 motor Cybertruck. But unless you race stock cars or you're one of the monotonous folks who never tire of burning rubber at every stoplight, and other wear-and-tear games, I don't see how you'd regret putting the money towards more important things. A single motor rear drive Model 3 kicks the llama's ass anyway.

It looks like for the same $10/mo you will get the same satellite maps and traffic updates as those of us who paid extra for the premium interior. That leaves mainly the sound system. I'd reward myself on this smart decision by installing a modest subwoofer.

The SR+ has to be the most practical car one could buy today. Even in northern Canada, I have not for one second regretted not buying the LR demo car that cost 10k more (been -10C the past week and have barely seen a range hit).

The 3P may be more fun, but that depends on how often you’ll take advantage of the acceleration. The SR+ is fast enough in my opinion.

Reactions: tren01t
I think you will be fine with an SR+. We have so many superchargers in California that you will have no problem charging the battery on the road. Long distance road trips do require a little more patience than with the LR but if you are like most of us you take those trips a couple of times a year and otherwise never need more than 240 miles of range for daily driving.

I found a good deal on a 2019 demo Performance with everything I wanted, just an hour from my delivery center. Had a good discount applied, and with removal of FSD I could "almost" afford it (Daughter heading to college in a couple years). Today on a whim I went into a SC and drove an SR+, and figured, for $20k less, its still a great car.

I have a 20 mile total commute most days, so range anxiety is not a huge factor for me (wife has an LRAWD, and she stresses on any trip beyond the market (?)). I was thinking I'd miss the gutteral punch of the Performance, but the SR is still fun to drive.

I usually have upgrade-itis, but I feel remarkably OK with this decision. . . Same color (blue) same interior (white), 19" instead of 20" wheels.

Am I going to regret this?
SR+ is a great choice, I've been able to go from Humboldt Co, CA to Lone Pine without a care. In Jan I'll go to Quartzsite, it'll be easy as pie.

The snob in me didn't even consider a Standard for the longest time, but I really rarely travel more than 100 miles a day, its the comparative performance that will eat away at me. The punch of the P is something I enjoy, but practically speaking, the standard will save me tires and tickets and electricity. . . but I know me enough to know I'll be jealous when I see red calipers or the little wing . . .