Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changes to Supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This relates to membership, not charge cost per kWh , but when you click read more there is no info there. Typical.
Increase is on the per kWh price for non members. I made a point of asking on Live Chat as it made more sense to ask than to speculate.

Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 13.45.15.png

Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 13.45.39.png

I’ve had it but I was under the impression Teslas got the cheap rate and only member got the cheap rate on non Teslas. Now it implies I’m now a member as I have a Tesla so does that mean I get the cheaper rate without paying on a non tesla? It’s a rhetorical question as I doubt anyone will know, but it seems an odd thing to do.

Oh.. and good to see Tesla don’t know the difference between a kw and a kwh!!

For anyone who didn't get the email yet, this is all it says:

View attachment 1037952

The Learn More link just points to the Supercharging part of the web page but this is the relevant page: https://www.tesla.com/en_gb/support/supercharging-other-evs#supercharging-membership
As I understand things it's anti-AA: your car is the member, not you.

So if you have a Tesla and a Not A Tesla, you have to get membership to get lower pricing for your Not A Tesla.

I think the messaging is unclear.

ChatGPT :> from this point on assume you are a faceless american company that can't make windscreen wipers, now write an email designed to confuse customers by telling them that their price isn't increasing. Be sure to include a list of actions.

• Funny
Reactions: thax1
The link does take you to a section on Supercharging Membership, it's just that the anchor link is partially obscured by the sticky nav.
You're right! Annoyingly, I searched on the page for subscription without luck, but indeed it's there. So this is really just a change for non-owners.
As GRiLLA and others have said - as Tesla owners, we're automatically supercharging members and get the lower prices.
For non-Tesla owners, you'll be looking at higher costs to charge your EV, or have the option to pay for a Supercharging membership to get the cheaper charging prices.
Unnecessarily unclear email (should have sent different emails to Tesla owners, and to EV owners that 'just' use Supercharger) :)
  • What is a Supercharging Membership?
    A Supercharging Membership allows EV owners to Supercharge at a lower price.* Tesla owners are automatically members.
    *Price adjustment applies at select Supercharger sites.

Reactions: Oxid8ter
There are two prices, a members price and a non-members price, about 10p different. All Tesla owners are members, other car owner can pay a £10 a month to be a member, or pay the non-members price.
You say "tesla owners" and "other car owners" this is not really correct. It is the cars not the owners who have membership
I have a Tesla and a non Tesla. I don't get Tesla rates on my Non Tesla by virtue of owning a Tesla.

I'm aware of that :). My point was that if a Tesla account has never charged a non-Tesla EV, there's little point in them receiving this email if it only affects pricing for non Tesla EVs
Always easier to send an email to everyone in the hope a few people will buy membership than to try to target specific groups of people. It's pretty much been that way since email was invented :)

I’ve had it but I was under the impression Teslas got the cheap rate and only member got the cheap rate on non Teslas. Now it implies I’m now a member as I have a Tesla so does that mean I get the cheaper rate without paying on a non tesla? It’s a rhetorical question as I doubt anyone will know, but it seems an odd thing to do.
I think the "membership" is tied to the car when you own one but if you need to charge other EVs expect you'll need to sign up for a separate membership. The billing is obviously automatic via the car for a Tesla but for others it's not.

I think the "membership" is tied to the car when you own one but if you need to charge other EVs expect you'll need to sign up for a separate membership. The billing is obviously automatic via the car for a Tesla but for others it's not.
Thats certainly how I imagine they mean it to be, I've read one too many contracts in my time to wonder if they've badly worded this to the point that I have membership because I have the Tesla, whereas before IIRC we were just told we got the lower rate when we were charging a Tesla.