Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changes you expect to see on the RC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also don't think the software will be perfect on day 1.
IMO, it needs to be safe on day one. If the colors are goofy, the fonts are awful, or the radio favorites are forgotten once a week that's fine. Jumping into reverse on the freeway is not fine.

The problem with that, I think, is that there are going to be a LOT of people with these cars. Have you ever seen a "bug report" from your average joe? "It doesn't work". "I can't login". "What's wrong with it?". Ugh.
Relative to MitchL's proposal, that doesn't matter. It's still better to have a simplified and formalized channel for communication than emails and phone calls.

I'm hoping to see a digital manual in the touch screen. Quick search for help topics -- maybe even tutorials.
"digital manual", "touch screen"
Is this a pamphlet that tells you how to use your fingers with a touch screen?

Did you mean "Vehemently"? I hope this doesn't make you violent... :smile:
Anyway, I agree with you on this. I dislike the floating xPad. Considering that was a prototype Model X, maybe that'll change.
Violently. As in, when (not if) it breaks or gets stolen I'll want to injure someone or something.

Last edited:
I'd hope control of homelink would simply be on the touchscreen. Obviously the actually signal could be emitted from the rear view mirror.

As much as I like the touch screen that's clunky unless the button is somewhere always visible.

"digital manual", "touch screen"
Is this a pamphlet that tells you how to use your fingers with a touch screen?.

I'm guessing you're being facetious, but if not... Well never mind. In any case, how many people read the manual these days?munless you've got downtime until you can play with your new toy, the first thing you do is pop it open! Now, being able to browse a manual or help file on the computer would be great. Even if it's just a PDF, being able to quickly search for the topic you're looking for vs rifling through pages in a book would be great.

How many people have cars and even years down the line continue to find cool stuff it could do? Imagine if, while booting, the screen displayed cool "did you know?"'s. it would make the ownership experience better IMO, and further push the envelop as seems to be Tesla's goal.

+2 for me on that.

As much as I like the touch screen that's clunky unless the button is somewhere always visible.

I'm guessing you're being facetious, but if not... Well never mind. In any case, how many people read the manual these days?munless you've got downtime until you can play with your new toy, the first thing you do is pop it open! Now, being able to browse a manual or help file on the computer would be great. Even if it's just a PDF, being able to quickly search for the topic you're looking for vs rifling through pages in a book would be great.

How many people have cars and even years down the line continue to find cool stuff it could do? Imagine if, while booting, the screen displayed cool "did you know?"'s. it would make the ownership experience better IMO, and further push the envelop as seems to be Tesla's goal.

Sounds like someone needs to RTFM.:smile:

Sounds like someone needs to RTFM.:smile:

Everyone does. But no one does. Else, the term wouldn't exist. As for "Reading the effing manual" -- did I not say include a digital, searchable version on the screen? Is it only reading if it's on paper?

Also, ther eis nothing wrong with making the learning process more user-friendly. We build Facebook games and do you think we plaster a rules and "How to play" page in the players faces with walls of text? No, we make the user interface as intuitive as we can and pop up hints and tips as they play. We also provide a guided tutorial.

I think some people forget that not everyone is an engineer or the type to sit down and read the instructions on something front to back without using it.

I think some people forget that not everyone is an engineer or the type to sit down and read the instructions on something front to back without using it.

That is why I read manuals, I'm an engineer. Makes sense. And for reference the first Saturday (or day off) after I have had a new car (not rental) I have sat in it and read the manual front to back, while listening to the radio.

I guess I need to make sure I continue to get cars in nice weather.

Not simple, complex and prone to failure. What's wrong with including it on the visor or rearview mirror like everyone else?

nothing wrong with that, but it'd be a nice elegant solution to use the touchscreen. It's not complex at all. This is the same concept used by GPS assisted reminders on the Iphone 4S or other similar software. You can make it present an icon in the corner of the screen automatically by GPS activation, but you'd still be able to find it on the touchscreen through regular menu guided browsing in the event it did not find a signal. I would actually like to see other clever uses of GPS assisted actions. Low on battery and near an EV charge station? Show an alert that suggests "re-fueling".

I'd argue a button is more prone to failure than a nice touchscreen based solution.

Why? With Model S you can sit in your garage w/ the door closed and the car on and you can be nice and toasty or nice and cool (depending on season) and read away.

Man, sometimes I don't think I am ready for an EV. ICEs are so ingrained in me.

EDIT: That is awesome never thought about it can't wait for an EV. Tesla you better ramp up production so I can get my car next winter.

Last edited: