Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing Rear view mirror to a screen - Anyone do this upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Due to the horrible visibility through the Rear view mirror. Has anyone attempted to change their rear view mirror to a digital screen using the existing Tesla Rear camera?

This feature is on some GM cars and would be a cool upgrade for Tesla's and fix this deficiency.

I found this on You Tube AUTO-VOX T9 Backup Camera install - My only issue is not using the existing camera.

Has anyone tried doing this upgrade?

Personally I tried this in the Bolt and never liked it. Rear view isn’t that bad once you get used to it. I know your opinion is different than mine, but the electronic view gave me a headache, this was just with my peripheral vision picking it up.

Due to the horrible visibility through the Rear view mirror. Has anyone attempted to change their rear view mirror to a digital screen using the existing Tesla Rear camera?

This feature is on some GM cars and would be a cool upgrade for Tesla's and fix this deficiency.

I found this on You Tube AUTO-VOX T9 Backup Camera install - My only issue is not using the existing camera.

Has anyone tried doing this upgrade?
I have the T9. Works great except in rain as the camera gets wet.

Usage of the rear view mirror while driving is very rare unless you check to see if a cop is following or you are in a road rage with someone and you try to brake check.

While reverse you check the back up camera and side mirrors.

Usually those factory options use two banners. One for back up and the other for rear view screen.

Usage of the rear view mirror while driving is very rare unless you check to see if a cop is following or you are in a road rage with someone and you try to brake check.

While reverse you check the back up camera and side mirrors.

Usually those factory options use two banners. One for back up and the other for rear view screen.
I'm extremely surprised that no one has said anything about this comment?!? That's scary that I'm the first.... However, you should be using your rear view mirror ALL THE TIME. It tells you how traffic is flowing behind you, let's you know if someone is entering your blindspots, knowing how the person behind you is reacting helps you in an emergency braking situation (so that you can help them by managing how hard you press the brake...you may need to let off if they don't respond fast enough after you have safely increased your following distance up front), it allows you to know whether or not you need to get out of my way if you're riding the passing lane, and so much more.... When they say "You should check your mirrors at least every 30 seconds" they mean that one too...In case you didn't know...While I'm here I'm going to assume also that I should probably inform you to put your headlights on in the rain...Not so that you can see, but so that people can see your taillights from behind, and headlights up front (so they don't turn or change lanes too close in front of you)....But yeah, please check that mirror more often.

I'm extremely surprised that no one has said anything about this comment?!? That's scary that I'm the first.... However, you should be using your rear view mirror ALL THE TIME. It tells you how traffic is flowing behind you, let's you know if someone is entering your blindspots, knowing how the person behind you is reacting helps you in an emergency braking situation (so that you can help them by managing how hard you press the brake...you may need to let off if they don't respond fast enough after you have safely increased your following distance up front), it allows you to know whether or not you need to get out of my way if you're riding the passing lane, and so much more.... When they say "You should check your mirrors at least every 30 seconds" they mean that one too...In case you didn't know...While I'm here I'm going to assume also that I should probably inform you to put your headlights on in the rain...Not so that you can see, but so that people can see your taillights from behind, and headlights up front (so they don't turn or change lanes too close in front of you)....But yeah, please check that mirror more often.
ok

Yeah, I'm constantly checking my mirrors. It's like a constant scan so I have situational awareness of what around me at all times.

I recently purchased a M3, and this is the thing that bothers me the most. There's lots of fancy tech that could increase your situational awareness that Tesla has, but it's displayed to the user so poorly. Most of it can be fixed in software, so hopefully it gets upgraded.

The typical bad blind spot (passenger-side rear) is bad in the M3 with the rear view mirror, due to the slope of the car for aerodynamics.
The camera views on the screen are disproportionate to reality. It appears as if the car is about 6 inches wide. The 3 camera views should be merged, and show a wide-view on the top ~1/5 of the screen, and you should be able to keep that view docked there, with everything else below it.
While they are at it, they should dim any bright spots like head lights. When you hit your blinker, they could make that portion of the view bigger to highlight to the driver to look there.

I also don't understand why Tesla doesn't use the vehicle detection to increase situational awareness. It really only shows you the cars in front of you, but I can see in front of me, I CAN'T see behind me. The driver can manually move the camera POV around to see vehicles behind, but you can't keep it there. At the very least, it would be nice that when you hit the blinker, the camera POV slides backwards so that you can see the vehicles approaching you from behind (as the computer sees it).

Ideally it would be better to put that camera view up on the rear view mirror, but I would appreciate having a view like that on the screen at least.
And then finally, since the Tesla computer knows which images on the screen are vehicles, it could draw subtle boxes around the vehicles in the camera view.

Funny. Just saw this thread. Today I installed the Hansshow rear-view mirror/camera and… it’s fantastic! Bright screen, great display and view angle. The instructions they provide on YT are awful, though. It took me ~5 hours to install it. We have a Chevy Bolt, as well, and the mirror/camera is one of its better features, frankly. So much so, that we decided to get the Hansshow for the Y. And for those who are saying the stock Y mirror is fine, you’re delusional. Sorry. It sucks. The good thing about the Hansshow unit is that it’s well laid-out, easy to connect everything. It’s the routing through the tailgate that took so much time. I highly recommend it, if you actually want a great rear-view viewing experience.

Reactions: pookguy