Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing tires DIY?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stupid question maybe can you change the tires yourself from a Model S i bought 4 jackpads for the car but i noticed there is also a jack mode ? what is the advised way to change a tire on a Tesla Model S.
Use jack mode when jacking your car up so that air suspension doesn’t try to re-level the car. No, it is not “speed racer” and jack itself up.

Just to bring you down to the earth, yes you can perform any service on the car and lift it if this is required. You can choose to perform this yourself or ask service centre to do it for you. Under warranty it’s advisable to let Tesla to handle the service but if you need to pay for it, then there is a choice. Also to remind that Tesla is not a tyre company, any dedicated tyre shop can sell/change tyres for you.

You'll need a low profile jack in the event you get a flat tire. If you have air suspension then that can be used for jack clearance.

Tesla's are very heavy so a truck jack is better.

21mm socket is usually necessary for lug nuts.

If you have chrome capped lugs then expect them to be deformed and may interfere with the 21mm socket. Replace them with solid lugs.

A chip puller is very handy to use to remove the lug nut covers so you can loosen the lugs with a wrench and torque them properly when putting the lugs back on. My 2020 has a torque specification of 129 lb ft for the lug nuts. The covers just snap back in place. I use something like this, and similar tools are found at Walmart and Amazon for under $5.
1660323035575.png

Reactions: zoomer0056
For air suspension vehicle only. Go to Service ….Jack mode. Must initiate car by stepping on brake to allow the feature to be selectable.
I carry a 1.5 ton aluminum one from harbor freight. Works just fine. Originally I had a bottle jack but realized it wouldn’t fit if needed. Solution would have been some wood blocks to drive the tire onto first. No need for low profile jack if you do that. Maybe at home. For on road and home the HF one is great.
Oh 9 years and no special jackpads ever used. I’ll change wheels 6-8 times a year. I have 19s 21s and different colors in each size and different tires. Change as often as women change shoes lol. Everyone overcomplicates it like it’s a spaceship. It’s just a car.
If you really want some protection stick an old hockey puck between jackpad and frame.

For air suspension vehicle only. Go to Service ….Jack mode. Must initiate car by stepping on brake to allow the feature to be selectable.
I carry a 1.5 ton aluminum one from harbor freight. Works just fine. Originally I had a bottle jack but realized it wouldn’t fit if needed. Solution would have been some wood blocks to drive the tire onto first. No need for low profile jack if you do that. Maybe at home. For on road and home the HF one is great.
Oh 9 years and no special jackpads ever used. I’ll change wheels 6-8 times a year. I have 19s 21s and different colors in each size and different tires. Change as often as women change shoes lol. Everyone overcomplicates it like it’s a spaceship. It’s just a car.
If you really want some protection stick an old hockey puck between jackpad and frame.
Do you have link to HF jack ?

If your Model S is equipped with air
suspension, it automatically self-levels,
even when power is off. Use the
touchscreen to set the suspension as
follows:
• Touch Controls > Suspension.
• Press the brake pedal, then touch Very
High to maximize the height of the
suspension.
• Touch Jack to disable self-leveling.

If your Model S is equipped with air
suspension, it automatically self-levels,
even when power is off. Use the
touchscreen to set the suspension as
follows:
• Touch Controls > Suspension.
• Press the brake pedal, then touch Very
High to maximize the height of the
suspension.
• Touch Jack to disable self-leveling.
It doesn’t matter what height you are on, but I prefer set car on as low as you can and still fit jack under. Higher you set the suspension the higher you need to jack it up.

Reactions: DerbyDave
Been changing tires for the last 3-4 years on this car, and the jack pads definitely help, as they have a nubby that fits in the jacking pads, and this way you don't risk jacking from the wrong points. The HF aluminum race jack posted above works wonders as well.