Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Float Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2021 MY LR. We just wen on a 5 week vacation. I put the car on charge and set the charge limit to 50%. I was surprised when we returned yesterday and the charge level was 46%. Is it normal for it to drop this much below set point?

If it was unplugged, certainly. 5 weeks is quite long. 4% is around 3.2kWh. If you divide that by 840h (5 weeks) you get only 4wh which is extremely low consumption. The car has clearly been sleeping, this is a great result.
If it was plugged then there's another explanation. As the battery cools down there's less energy that can be pulled out of it. The car indicates that by reducing the displayed SOC. The battery is still at the same voltage so it's still at 50%, but only the equivalent of 46% can be pulled out of it. The car would thus not charge further.

Upvote 0
Yes, normal. The Tesla Model Y will charge the battery when the battery state of charge has fallen by a small percentage, i.e. 5%.

You did not state whether you had set Sentry mode to be On or Off at the location where you parked the Model Y. Sentry mode causes the Tesla Model Y to remain in Standby mode (awake) and not enter Sleep mode. Battery consumption in Standby mode is ~6% to 7% over 24 hours.

With Sentry mode turned off the Tesla Model Y can enter the Sleep mode. The battery consumption in Sleep mode is much less, i.e. ~1% per 7 days; your 5 week vacation may only have resulted in the Tesla Model Y needing to charge a few times. The low voltage battery is automatically maintained using power from the high voltage battery, this drain too will cause the Tesla Model Y to periodically charge the high voltage battery.

Upvote 0