Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge level vs limited regen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Vawlkus

Feb 28, 2017
Halifax
Ok, so I noticed this recently, and I’d like to know if other people have similar experiences.

Back in December, I started charging to just 80% because I wasn’t doing a lot of traveling that month. While I was only charging to 80%, I never had more than 1/2 full regen because the battery was cold. My commute wasn’t enough for the pack to warm up. This was the case even if I timed my charge to the minute I unplugged and started driving.

At the start of January, I started traveling more, so I reset my charge level to 90%. Since then, I’ve always had full regen and I’m wondering if the two data points are indicative of why.

Ok, so I noticed this recently, and I’d like to know if other people have similar experiences.

Back in December, I started charging to just 80% because I wasn’t doing a lot of traveling that month. While I was only charging to 80%, I never had more than 1/2 full regen because the battery was cold. My commute wasn’t enough for the pack to warm up. This was the case even if I timed my charge to the minute I unplugged and started driving.

At the start of January, I started traveling more, so I reset my charge level to 90%. Since then, I’ve always had full regen and I’m wondering if the two data points are indicative of why.
Full regen as soon as you start driving? What is the ambient temperature?

It's really surprising that you don't have any dots showing with Halifax temperatures.

All of the recent discussions are primarily based upon changes in software over the last few updates.
And limited regen isn't a problem. it's just a notification.

It's really surprising that you don't have any dots showing with Halifax temperatures.

All of the recent discussions are primarily based upon changes in software over the last few updates.
And limited regen isn't a problem. it's just a notification.
Limited regen is not a problem? :)

I consider it a problem (yes 1st world problem lol) as I don't have one pedal driving and low battery efficiency for the first 30-40 mins of driving.

I consider it a problem (yes 1st world problem lol) as I don't have one pedal driving and low battery efficiency for the first 30-40 mins of driving.
The alternative is to heat the battery and have more regen. Unfortunately, this most likely uses more energy than you would gain with the increased regen. I’m convinced this was the result of Tesla’s efficiency gains in recent updates.

Reactions: SilverGS
Do you preheat your cabin or are you using scheduled departure?

Since late December, Tesla stealth changed the Model 3 battery heating behavior. Specifically, if you start preheating your cabin in colder temperatures, the car will start to warm up the battery via the stators in the motor(s) and coolant system. This is similar behaviour seen if you nav to a Supercharger where and it would pre-warm your battery for supercharging when you get close. I wonder if Tesla is doing the same thing with the S & X.

Reactions: bijan
Do you preheat your cabin or are you using scheduled departure?

Since late December, Tesla stealth changed the Model 3 battery heating behavior. Specifically, if you start preheating your cabin in colder temperatures, the car will start to warm up the battery via the stators in the motor(s) and coolant system. This is similar behaviour seen if you nav to a Supercharger where and it would pre-warm your battery for supercharging when you get close. I wonder if Tesla is doing the same thing with the S & X.
I'm assuming its the same behaviour, however I still don't have have about 75% of the regen for at least 30 mins of driving. And yes, I'm plugged and pre-heat the cabin for about 30 mins prior to driving.

Remember, there is a BIG difference between limited regen and no regen. The other day I had about 7 dots, when driving the car in hold, it didn't feel as if any regen was missing. Looking at the meter, it indeed was creating regen, but just couldn't go above a certain amount. i.e. If I'm at 60 mph and release the accelerator, by stopping distance may be a little longer than full regen.

Again, Limited Regen is NOT No Regen.

I really don't feel a difference until the snow flake icon and a full bar of regen dots. Just drive accordingly ;)
I find there's a noticeable difference when I get the "Regen Limited, Will improve as vehicle is driven" message, even on city streets ~50km/h. I've never seen the snow flake icon but I get the former message when my car has been parked at work all day and it's 10 C or less outside.

Remember, there is a BIG difference between limited regen and no regen. The other day I had about 7 dots, when driving the car in hold, it didn't feel as if any regen was missing. Looking at the meter, it indeed was creating regen, but just couldn't go above a certain amount. i.e. If I'm at 60 mph and release the accelerator, by stopping distance may be a little longer than full regen.

Again, Limited Regen is NOT No Regen.
It doesn't work at anything over 30 kph - so to me it may as will be completely useless even though technically it has some regen. :). This is for anything below 10 Celsius/50 Fahrenheit

I always preheat, minimum 15 minutes, though sometimes longer if I dawdle over my breakfast. :D

I can tell the difference between full regen, half regen, and no regen. It causes me to shift my driving style because I rely heavily on regen in my regular driving.

In December I was near to no regen when I’d start my commute, and I wouldn’t get to half-regen by the time I arrived at work. My commute is partial highway and part city driving.
In January I’d start with at least half regen available, and would have full regen around halfway to work.

Preheating does NOT warm my battery, otherwise I’d have regen for my trip home. I don’t because my parking lot has no power options available. At home, I plug in overnight to warm my battery via charging in the morning before I leave.

In the recent software versions, preheating the car does heat up the engines to warm the battery. The engines warm quickly but the battery is a huge mass and warms slowly. There's a high chance it doesn't have time to fully warm before you leave but it's probably better than if you didn't preheat. Compare two days with same external temperature. Preheat one and not the other and check your regen dots.

In the recent software versions, preheating the car does heat up the engines to warm the battery. The engines warm quickly but the battery is a huge mass and warms slowly. There's a high chance it doesn't have time to fully warm before you leave but it's probably better than if you didn't preheat. Compare two days with same external temperature. Preheat one and not the other and check your regen dots.
I have an X not a 3. There’s a heater built into my battery pack.
With or without preheat my regen is unchanged. It only changes if I’m plugged in for a charge.

I slept in one hour past the 100% charge completion and ended 20% more efficient driving from Montreal to Toronto. Was able to make it to Belleville instead of having to queue in Kingston. The BMS must be heating to battery to keep it happy to reduce degradation at 100%?

Here's my experience so far doing the Montreal to Toronto leg this winter.

1st weekend - Timed charge to 100% and left as charge completed. Drive efficiency was 60ish%. Had to stop in Kingston.
2nd weekend - Destination charger was taken most of the weekend. Limped by with 110V/12A and used Point Claire. Trip efficiency is ~60% again.
3rd weekend - Timed charge to 100% at 110V/12A (was able to get to 400ish the previous night) - left with 95% charging at 7km/h. Trip efficiency is again ~60%.
4th weekend - Above sleeping in with car holding 100% for an hour. Drive efficiency almost like spring/fall numbers. This clearly heated up the pack enough to provide those numbers for 500+ kms.

Any battery wizards here? Please advise.

If my overnight charge only adds 30-40% battery I will have limited regen (battery at 10c by departure). If my battery charges over 50% (30-80%) it will warm it much more to close to 19C (when the dots go away but still not full regen according to scan my Tesla app). I am pretty sure this is what happening (you said you are driving it more so its charging more which build up the heat). This is a car parked outdoors overnight in Toronto.

If my overnight charge only adds 30-40% battery I will have limited regen (battery at 10c by departure). If my battery charges over 50% (30-80%) it will warm it much more to close to 19C (when the dots go away but still not full regen according to scan my Tesla app). I am pretty sure this is what happening (you said you are driving it more so its charging more which build up the heat). This is a car parked outdoors overnight in Toronto.

Does the S have a battery temperature reading/gauge? That would be great to show it on the app/HUD. Squeezing every km out of the battery pack helps during winter months without going into the last 10% of the pack.

https://www.researchgate.net/public..._Storage_Applications_In_Tropical_Enviroments

Does the S have a battery temperature reading/gauge? That would be great to show it on the app/HUD. Squeezing every km out of the battery pack helps during winter months without going into the last 10% of the pack.

https://www.researchgate.net/public..._Storage_Applications_In_Tropical_Enviroments

I wish it did. I am using an ODB/CANBUS scanner with an app to get real time detailed car stats (shows individual pack temps and variances).
C75C5F04-D100-4695-BA83-FC90149CDA51.jpeg

If anyone leaves home on a consistent schedule on a daily basis, the Scheduled Departure function works amazing well to warm up the battery and you have 100% full regen when you leave your home.

My specific case - I have been testing it with different start times (just to push the test some more).

I set the scheduled departure to be 30 mins after my actual departure.

1. Saturday Feb. 1 : I set the Scheduled Departure to leave at 6:30 AM, but left home at 6:05 AM. I had full 100% regen
  2. Monday Feb 3: I set Scheduled Departure to leave home at 9:30 AM, and in this case I got delayed and actually left home at 9:30 AM. I noticed that when I turned on Pre-heat at 9:00 AM, the battery warming icon lit up. Didn't notice that before on Saturday when I turned on pre-heat 30 mins before I left home
  3. Tuesday Feb. 4: I set scheduled departure at 10:00 AM and left home at 9:30 and again I had full 100% regen.
I use TeslaSpy for some stats and for both Monday and Tuesday, the charging of the battery finished before 6:00 AM. No idea if this is a coincidence. I will drain the battery to 30% (instead of the usual 50%) and see if that changes the finish time of the charging.