Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge My Tesla Android App - Looking for Beta testers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve written my own Android App, as scheduled charging doesn’t fit with my departure times. I tend to use “once”.

Also with EDF Go Electric and a 13A plug, off peak times don’t fit with Tesla’s view of the world which seems to be start time to 6am.

I know about TeslaFi but I don’t want all the monitoring and it’s expensive. Also Dashboard for Tesla, again expensive when I just want scheduled charging and/or pre-conditioning.

My other reservation is the security of the Tesla login token. In my App I don’t keep the email/password, but an encrypted version of the token with biometric login. This security is important, as with a token you can do anything to the car, at least for up to 45 days, so I don’t want this on third party websites with the risk of security breaches.

Of course this means that your Android phone needs to be powered on all the time and not in airplane mode when you have scheduled start/stop times.

Here are some screenshots and a video.

I’m considering adding it to my Play Store Apps, but only if people think it’s useful, so I’m looking for Beta testers to give feedback on the implementation with enhancement or changes.

At the moment I’m using Firebase App Distribution for the free Beta, but could do a closed Beta on the Play Store if there is a demand for this.

Of course if no one is interested, then it’s an App for me… however send me a message with your Android device Gmail if you want to try it out.
I’ve written my own Android App, as scheduled charging doesn’t fit with my departure times. I tend to use “once”.

Also with EDF Go Electric and a 13A plug, off peak times don’t fit with Tesla’s view of the world which seems to be start time to 6am.

I know about TeslaFi but I don’t want all the monitoring and it’s expensive. Also Dashboard for Tesla, again expensive when I just want scheduled charging and/or pre-conditioning.

My other reservation is the security of the Tesla login token. In my App I don’t keep the email/password, but an encrypted version of the token with biometric login. This security is important, as with a token you can do anything to the car, at least for up to 45 days, so I don’t want this on third party websites with the risk of security breaches.

Of course this means that your Android phone needs to be powered on all the time and not in airplane mode when you have scheduled start/stop times.

I’m considering adding it to my Play Store Apps, but only if people think it’s useful, so I’m looking for Beta testers to give feedback on the implementation with enhancement or changes.

At the moment I’m using Firebase App Distribution for the free Beta, but could do a closed Beta on the Play Store if there is a demand for this.

Of course if no one is interested, then it’s an App for me… however send me a message with your Android device Gmail if you want to try it out.

HI,

I am looking for similar sort of app and can do the testing as currently i am using Teslafi and not comfortable with Teslafi. I use Teslafi scheduling for the charging because of Octopusgo tariff iam on, and that's the only reason i got Teslafi

I'll give it a go, but can't do anything untill 2stvwerk January as I'm going to Everest base camp over Christmas/New year.

I'm interested M3 SR+ and Android phone.

Just an update on the current status.
I've added the ability to choose to use cloud schedules if you don't want to keep your phone on.
I've been running it, but haven't had much feedback as only two others are using cloud schedules.
I had a couple of failure to wake the car, but checking in the car there was no LTE coverage, so I think the local cell tower was down, as coverage is patchy here.
So anyone interested in the cloud support, then let me know.
I'm still using Firebase App Distribution, but if there is interest I can switch to the Play Store, as I've got published apps there.

Mini review / feedback;

Fantastic, I was looking around for a simple app to control charging times and didn't feel I needed (or wanted to pay for) all the functionality of teslafi, at about that time meavydev started this thread.

I've been using for over a month or so and have seen lots of development, cloud schedules were a massive benefit. In the early days I think there were some days where it didn't start/stop at the correct times but I wouldn't rule out user error. It's been working great over last few weeks.

Request (maybe outside scope of the project): some simple 'one click' widgets for opening charge port, frunk, boot, lock/unlock, etc.

Reactions: meavydev
Mini review / feedback;

Fantastic, I was looking around for a simple app to control charging times and didn't feel I needed (or wanted to pay for) all the functionality of teslafi, at about that time meavydev started this thread.

I've been using for over a month or so and have seen lots of development, cloud schedules were a massive benefit. In the early days I think there were some days where it didn't start/stop at the correct times but I wouldn't rule out user error. It's been working great over last few weeks.

Request (maybe outside scope of the project): some simple 'one click' widgets for opening charge port, frunk, boot, lock/unlock, etc.
Thanks for the feedback :)
I should have added the extra UI buttons to the vehicle card to do the locks / frunk / charge port, although I must admit I only checked the locks, as I don't want to fiddle with the charge port / frunk at the moment.
If you are on a newish version of Android, then the UI buttons have tool tips, so pressing and holding on them should display the tool tip text without actually performing the action.

Just an update.
It looks like Google might have changed the goal posts for AppEngine and billing, so it has required me to upgrade the cloud support to a paid environment.
I'll have to monitor the charges, but as no one is paying me anything, I might have to switch to a new subscription based app, or just remove people from the cloud schedule based charging and make it Android based only.

Reactions: tj333
That's a shame, I've had good usage from your app (though needed much less during lockdown).

Cloud schedule has worked well, it's probably not worth a subscription cost to me though, feel free to remove me from the cloud schedule.

Thanks again for your efforts on creating the app!