Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge NOW ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah, that was the question. How, pray tell ?

Unless you are using some third party app connection that is interrupting your charging, you can simply push the "start charging" button in the app that should appear when you plug the car in. Even if you have scheduled charging setup, that button is still there if the car is connected to and recognizes the charger.

There are instances when the “start charging” button are not present, which prompted this question. I’ll have to pay closer attention for when it is and isn’t there. Maybe, if I get distracted or something, at that option disappears, I’ll have to unplug, and plug back in.

There are instances when the “start charging” button are not present, which prompted this question. I’ll have to pay closer attention for when it is and isn’t there. Maybe, if I get distracted or something, at that option disappears, I’ll have to unplug, and plug back in.

In 5 years of ownership of my model 3, and almost 2 of my model Y, I have never seen the "start charging" button not show up with the car plugged in, and the charge level of the car lower than the set charge level.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Good for you.

As we used to say in the military, it’s impossible to make a device (or in this case, an app) that is foolproof, because fools are so ingenious."

I must be one of those this time.

Thank you.

Good for you.

As we used to say in the military, it’s impossible to make a device (or in this case, an app) that is foolproof, because fools are so ingenious."

I must be one of those this time.

Thank you.

If you have never, ever at any time installed any third party apps or anything else that interacts with your car charging, AND you dont have a charger that sometimes disconnects power on its own due to some schedule or other (so its not available for the car to start charging), then I dont see how this would be the case...

But anyway, I hope you figure it out. if the above is true, this would be the first I have heard of it. I have, however, heard all sorts of issues with people using chargers that have scheduled charging themselves not interacting great with tesla scheduled charging, or presenting themselves to the car at all times.

Reactions: 804son
“always” is an absolute, and wasn’t the case for me - or I would not have asked. I notice that there are a number of items in the software that have limited presentation — obvious design requirement for UI, lest the display become cluttered and unusable. For example, my lovely spouse sat in the car for the first time last night. I had added her as a driver, and we selected her profile, and she is petite, and needed different seat position and mirror settings, and it was a little frustrating initially, because the SAVE button that would pop up, would quickly disappear before we selected it. And so on.

“always” is an absolute, and wasn’t the case for me - or I would not have asked. I notice that there are a number of items in the software that have limited presentation — obvious design requirement for UI, lest the display become cluttered and unusable. For example, my lovely spouse sat in the car for the first time last night. I had added her as a driver, and we selected her profile, and she is petite, and needed different seat position and mirror settings, and it was a little frustrating initially, because the SAVE button that would pop up, would quickly disappear before we selected it. And so on.
OK. Let's be clear about this, because I think there's a bit of confusion floating around.

First off: If one is in the car, selects the main menu (car in the bottom left corner), and looks at the possible selections, there's the "Charging" tab. Tap on that and one gets all the possible charging options. Most of those options are also on the app: But all of them are definitely in the car.

Generally, there's four major options:
  1. Desired charge level. A slider that, from the view, goes from 0% to 100%. (I'm reliably informed that one can't set it below 40%, though.) Lots of people argue about what an appropriate level might be, and it also depends upon what kind of battery one has (LFP or NIMH). With LFP, 100% is an option that people are encouraged to charge their LFP-based batteries to once a week (to calibrate the BMS, apparently); with NIMH, Tesla's recommendation these days is 80%, but they say for daily use anything between 50% and 90% is cool, and 100% when one is about to leave on a trip. Battery maniacs around here consistently pull up graphs and charts that say, for longevity, The Lower The Better, and some apparently do charge to 50%. I'm an 80% guy, myself.
  2. Scheduled Charging. Options are:
    1. No Schedule. In which case, if one plugs the car into a Wall Connector, Mobile Connector, or (perhaps even) a Supercharger, the car immediately starts charging, so long as the current State of Charge (SOC) is less than the slider value, above. No ifs, buts, or maybes, and no need to touch a button anywhere. Which is how I usually leave my car.
    2. Scheduled Departure. Select this option, set a time, and the car will be up to temperature and charged to the selected value at the selected time. If the SOC is already at the selected value, then the car doesn't particularly charge much, if at all, but it'll suck current from the Wall/Mobile/Super-Charger and get the cabin temperature correct.
    3. Scheduled Charging. This is for people who get reduced electrical rates in the dead of night (typically). Set a time (I think) for when one wants this time to start, and that's when the car will start charging to the selected value.
So, if you're in option 2.2 or 2.3 and option 1. is set higher than the SOC, then that "Charge Now" button is active, both in the car and on the app. If you're in 2.1 (that is, no schedule), then, if the SOC is lower than the Option 1. value, the car simply starts charging the moment one plugs it in.

About the only snivvy in all of this, such as it is, is if one has left the car plugged in and it has finished charging. Over time, the car will use some energy running the computers and what-all and the SOC will slowly decrease. If the 2.1 option is set, then the car will start charging again when it gets 3% low, which takes a couple-three days. If 2.2 or 2.3 is set and the time conditions are correct, then it'll start charging again when 3% low and the times are right.

So.. Why have you been hitting that "Charge Now" button? Got 2.2 or 2.3 set inadvertently? Or do you have a Time of Day Scheduled Charging set, on purpose, and want to charge at other random times (at presumably higher cost)?

BEAUTIFUL write-up ! @Tronguy

Yes, at the time (and still) had departure set for 0715. At the time of exploring the app, it was around noon. Here, the regulatory-set rate period is Winter [six months 01 October - 31 May] during which PEAK is established as dual 0700-1100 and again 1700-2100 on weekdays (off peak all day weekends and five named holidays).
So this particular day, it was around noon, so off peak, the sun was shining on our Tesla roof, and I thought I would (yes, as the car was delivered the app defaulted to 80% charge level - so I’m in that camp with you, having no basis to filter the noise on the topic) and, I thought I would “top it off” (to 80%) just to play with it. It was in that setting, with 0715 departure set, off peak charge start at 00:00, that the “start charging” button was NOT present. I tried multiple random actions in the app, to no effect, until, I reset the charge start time to — as a test — to two minutes from “now” (then) and sure enough, it started charging.
Now then, this is NOT proof of causality, right ? The old quip about someone eating pickles on an airplane died . . .
One data point . . .

Again, THANK YOU for your engagement.

“always” is an absolute
Indeed it is.
I thought I would “top it off” (to 80%) just to play with it. It was in that setting, with 0715 departure set, off peak charge start at 00:00, that the “start charging” button was NOT present.
I just duplicated your setup with my car that had completed charging to 70% last night.

Switched my charging schedule to 07:15 departure with off peak charging set, bumped slider to 80%, “start charging” button immediately appeared.

This is the expected behavior. If it doesn’t work that way for you, you should document it because you’re experiencing a bug that makes you very unique indeed. I suspect you’ll be unable to reproduce.

IMG_9999.jpeg

Last edited:
One possible scenario might be when you set the charge limit to 80%, the car reached that limit and stopped charging but then some 1-2% drain or consumption happened while plugged. I'm not sure the “start charging” button is there, I'll try to notice next time :)

Reactions: Joesmoe3