Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge On Solar Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We charge off the Tesla panels often, if not (like tonight) for a trip tomorrow from San Diego to LA at 100% we charge off the grid from 12:00am until 5:00am. We really enjoy knowing we can charge during the day when the sun is pumping at home off the Tesla panels.

Reactions: EcoCloudIT
We can use Tesla completely to achieve solar only charging in Australia.

We used ChargeHQ previously...whilst ChargeHQ has some advanced features the KISS approach with Tesla's version is poetic (oh and the wife can use it without complaints).

View attachment 1023101View attachment 1023102View attachment 1023103
Is that your screenshot off your app?
Melbourne based?

Can you tell me the App version number your using.
I'm on Version:
v11.1 2024.2.6
I have PW2, WallCharger, Model Y and still don't see this as an option within my App.

Last edited:
Reactions: coref1
That's fantastic!

I just wish it didn't need a Powerwall to work :( I can't see a technical reason, it doesn't actually use the battery does it? All it should need is a current monitor that reports back the amount of solar being exported?
I think it uses the gateway in the PW2+ in order to help make it all work…plus the PW2 is used in edge cases if the sun drops but it is likely to come back, so it smooths it all out.

You’re right, it should be possible to work without a battery and indeed ChargeHQ does.

Is that your screenshot off your app?
Melbourne based and screenshot from my Tesla app.

Can you tell me the App version number your using.
I'm on Version:
v11.1 2024.2.6
I have PW2, WallCharger, Model Y and still don't see this as an option within my App.
Yep…Melbourne based.

I am on v11.1.2024.2.7 but you’re version is compatible.

Mine wasn’t showing, so I did this.

- Paired my mobile to the PW2, hadn’t bother to do that before)
- Logged out of the app on the phone and back in

Presto showed.

Showing as this presently.

IMG_2631.jpeg

I just wish it didn't need a Powerwall to work :( I can't see a technical reason, it doesn't actually use the battery does it? All it should need is a current monitor that reports back the amount of solar being exported?

I don’t have this appearing in my App yet, but I expect that it waits until the PW2 is full (no solar is exported until that happens anyway) and then it periodically adjusts the vehicle’s charge rate to match any excess solar. Given it might only do that every few minutes, clearly there will be times inbetween those adjustments when the excess solar production is over or under what is required.

If solar excess is over what is needed, it would either top the battery back up to 100% if it has fallen below, else export the excess to the grid. If it is under, the missing bit would be drawn from the battery. This continues until there is no excess solar, or the car’s target charge level is reached.

All the data needed to perform this function is available from the PW2’s gateway.

Yep…Melbourne based.

Presto showed.

View attachment 1023143
Yep, logging out of account on the app, then logging back in gets the charge on solar feature working.
Thanks muchly EcoCloudIT ;)
Yep…Melbourne based.

Presto showed.

View attachment 1023143

I just wish it didn't need a Powerwall to work :(
I use my script to charge Tesla only from excessive solar energy (but I prioritize Tesla before solar battery). It is using GoodWe inverter. It will need some little adjustment to charge above 50% as currently I live longterm 10000km away from my parket Tesla so I haven't yet tried driving on solar energy.
Code:
Going to awake at: 2024-02-29T12:31:13CET 2024-02-29T19:31:13PST
tesla data is still valid, age=1667<43190=limit
2024-02-29T12:31:13CET 2024-02-29T19:31:13PST
tesla fetch........ 0.00s
latitude,longitude=50.764019,15.269072;TZ=Europe/Prague;distance=2.404304,max=10,at_home=1;day=1
sunrise: 2024-02-29T06:43:59CET 2024-02-29T13:43:59PST
sunset : 2024-02-29T17:38:40CET 2024-03-01T00:38:40PST
battery_level=50%
charge_limit_soc=50% charge_amps=16A charger_phases=3 charging_state=Complete
Battery is battery_level=50<51=BATTERY_HIGH -> BATTERY_LOW.
wanted=1 sleep=60
goodwe fetch...
request on attempt 0 failed, relogging in 0.40s
goodwe fetch done 2.07s
pv=1399W load=696W amps_old=0A=0W amps_old_watt_valid=1 soc=31%
bms_status=ChargingOfBattery
battery_power=-743W -> -743W
pmeter_real=703W pmeter=-40W battery_power(-=usable=charge,+=problem=discharge)=-743W;used=1
0A=0W 1A=770W 2A=1535W 3A=2295W 4A=3050W 5A=3800W 6A=4546W 7A=5286W 8A=6021W 9A=6752W 10A=7478W 11A=8198W 12A=8914W 13A=9625W 14A=10331W 15A=11032W 16A=11728W
kept  : pmeter_real=703W /1.3=540W->0A <=(A) old=0W=0A <=(A) /1.1=639W->0A -> wanted=0W=0A
sleep=60
@06:43:59 sleep_new=65566 but sleep is already earlier.
@00:01:00 sleep_new=41387 but sleep is already earlier.
Going to awake at: 2024-02-29T12:32:15CET 2024-02-29T19:32:15PST

Log out of your account within the App. Then log back in.
(make sure you can remember your password)
Thank you. I did that and have now been able to set up Charge on Solar. For anyone waiting to do this, the app warns that logging out will lose your data, but my app is behaving normally after logging back in (as you would expect it to).

Setting up CoS requires that you pair your phone with your Powerwall 2, which involves toggling the power switch on the side of the battery. You can set CoS to work anywhere above 30% of vehicle battery charge (if your battery is below 30%, and solar is insufficient, it will charge from the grid). The minimum excess solar production is 1.2kW before CoS will work, which matches the UMCs lowest charging of 5A.

This function is long overdue, having been promised for 4-5 years, but I am very pleased to see it arrive. Now, does anyone know if it can work with a wall charger and a non-Tesla vehicle? If so, I'm going to need to look harder at buying a wall charger!

Thank you. I did that and have now been able to set up Charge on Solar. For anyone waiting to do this, the app warns that logging out will lose your data, but my app is behaving normally after logging back in (as you would expect it to).

Setting up CoS requires that you pair your phone with your Powerwall 2, which involves toggling the power switch on the side of the battery. You can set CoS to work anywhere above 30% of vehicle battery charge (if your battery is below 30%, and solar is insufficient, it will charge from the grid). The minimum excess solar production is 1.2kW before CoS will work, which matches the UMCs lowest charging of 5A.

This function is long overdue, having been promised for 4-5 years, but I am very pleased to see it arrive. Now, does anyone know if it can work with a wall charger and a non-Tesla vehicle? If so, I'm going to need to look harder at buying a wall charger!
Given it does not work with a model s or model x, I’d say your chances of it working on another brand are very slim

Reactions: Jules22 and dronus
Given it does not work with a model s or model x, I’d say your chances of it working on another brand are very slim
That's fair. I wasn't sure whether using the wall charger would make a difference, but I guess not.
That's a shame, it would have been cool to have a charging station that only offered green energy for any EV the charge, without needing to pay for a more expensive setup. Oh well, at least my Tesla can be solar-only from now on.

Reactions: dronus
A slight change to EcoCloudIT's advice (and thanks) if you have a Powerwall:

Have the latest Tesla app on phone (my iPhone has 4.30.5).
Logout and log back in.
New feature will now be there.
The app will subsequently pair the phone to your Powerwall (this is the only deviation - it was automatic for me).

Also worthy of note is that you can't add a Tesla wall charger to the app unless it's the Gen 3 (Gen 1 and 2 not supported).

[Edit]
The Home screen displays the wall charger regardless of generation, so unclear why you need to add it manually.

It appears that you can't give battery charging priority. By default, the Gateway (or app?) seems to give excess solar (what the house doesn't need) to charge the car, then the battery will be charged, and then the excess will go to the grid. I'd rather have the battery charged first, then the car, and then out to the grid. ChargeHQ can do that. Have I missed something?