Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Place Scotland Tariffs by Council

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a Belgian, I have the intention to drive to Scotland. And I do understand that:
- without using chargeplacescotlanf, I would be lost as there are little alternatives
- I can not get a charging card without a UK adress and account… and thus no go

Onlu way to use and pay is: via this ChargePlace Scotland WEBPAY

The big question is obviously: is this reliable? Will it work in 90%+ of the attempts?
Any experiences? Or other hints?
There are quite a few Tesla Superchargers in Scotland which are generally pretty quite which should allow you to Roadtrip with relative ease.

Reactions: Blackbelt and init6
There are quite a few Tesla Superchargers in Scotland which are generally pretty quite which should allow you to Roadtrip with relative ease.
It completely depends on where OP intends to be in Scotland! For example, if he's spending a week on Skye the existing superchargers are of no benefit ... and the CPS charging is patchy too. Destination charging can be a godsend.

Many of the more scenic touristy areas of Scotland don't really have anything in terms of rapid charging beyond 50kw. As an example once you're past Inverness on the NC500 you'll be stuck with what you can find, which is usually CPS and 50kw at best. Many of their 50kw chargers deliver less than that.

Same thing for the Cairngorms, Speyside (Whisky trail), Islands, etc.

Some of them are located in somewhat inconvenient or dodgy places too.

For the CPS chargers themselves, I've not had any major issues, had a brief ICEing at one in Craigellachie, otherwise just slower than advertised. I do have a card however. They aren't really that well priced in most locations off the A9 now either.

If you're not venturing too far from the Central Belt, and the main cities then yeah, you'll probably manage on Superchargers alone.

Reactions: Adopado
As a Belgian, I have the intention to drive to Scotland. And I do understand that:
- without using chargeplacescotlanf, I would be lost as there are little alternatives
- I can not get a charging card without a UK adress and account… and thus no go

Onlu way to use and pay is: via this ChargePlace Scotland WEBPAY

The big question is obviously: is this reliable? Will it work in 90%+ of the attempts?
Any experiences? Or other hints?
How much you need to use CPS depends on where you're going, but they're pretty much the only supplier in the highlands. If you're keeping to the south of scotland, you have more choice. You may also be able to find accommodation with an EV charger, in which case you can avoid the whole shitshow.
Perhaps if you share your routeplan, we can offer some more advice?

Webpay should work for most chargers. It's not reliability of webpay which is the problem, but that some of the older chargers don't support remote activation properly (Same if you have a CPS account or webpay. The RFID works).

The helpdesk are pretty helpful, so if you find you're at a charger with a flat battery and can't get it to activate *because of the app*, they'll likely turn it on for you. The CPS network as a whole is unreliable, so don't leave yourself in a situation where a particular charger has to work (Easier with a tesla...)
There are also some crazy rules about max charging session lengths, which you'll probably see in this thread

Reactions: exlatccatsa
CPS website is down, and has been for 12 hours after they DOSed themselves with an enforced password change. RFIDs are working, but the charging app is broken. Muppets...

1695717495383.png

• Funny
Reactions: Zilla91
Yeah, others have mentioned. Be interested to see why such urgent password resets are needed. (Could be something other than hacked, PCI Audit has identified they're not hashing passwords properly, etc)

Where Be-EV might cause you some inconvenience, their coverage areas aren't effectively exclusive. If you're in the highlands right now without an RFID card, you're a little stuffed... (Suspect they could activate over the phone, but if everybody has to do that, again, you might be waiting some time...).
If the Supercharger network failed on my trip round the UK yesterday, I could have used any of 5 other rapid charging networks to get me home.