Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Place Scotland Tariffs by Council

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve always taken the perspective that connection fee is analogous to the standing charge and covers some of the fixed costs. If they get their usage predictions close , it potentially would make the variable (kWh) costs cheaper.

Thankfully to move that some electricity suppliers took of having A and B units but no standing charge was short lived and most reverted back to standing charge.

I would take issue with multiple failed connection attempts being treated as multiple connection charges in the same way that time based charging is a simplification too far.

I know that some low usage users will be disadvantaged by this, but the fixed costs have to be paid for somehow and will be same whether you use 1kWh or 50kWh.

It’s just down how you divvy those fixed costs into total cost to charge - combined per kWh or via more transparent separate connection charge. It needs to be paid somehow and as long as the proportions are reasonable, unlike time based charging, I personally have no issue either way.

I don’t see one being more lucrative for the site than the other - both are equally open to being exploited and most users can choose which method they prefer, unlike with petrol/diesel pricing where it’s all bundled into the litre cost. It’s all part of the grey area that exists between electricity for charging being treated like fuel, or as an electricity supply.

My objection to a connection charge is that you don't really know what "quality of product" you're getting up front. If you connect on the CPS network, you might find that a rapid charger is only good for 29kw. Or that the 22kw charger is missing a couple phases, but the bank next door is working correctly.
I don't know if CPS have a <0.5kWh cutoff like some, but particularly with rapid you're probably at that level by the time the charge rate stabilises.

My objection to a connection charge is that you don't really know what "quality of product" you're getting up front. If you connect on the CPS network, you might find that a rapid charger is only good for 29kw. Or that the 22kw charger is missing a couple phases, but the bank next door is working correctly.
I don't know if CPS have a <0.5kWh cutoff like some, but particularly with rapid you're probably at that level by the time the charge rate stabilises.
Do what I do and don't use chargers that have connection charges :)

Only 4 councils have connection charges, all the rest that have this fee are privately hosted. The councils with connection charges, charge between 15p and 25p/kWh for Fast chargers and between 15p and 30p for Rapid chargers, so well below domestics rates.

From 1st March 2023:

East Lothian Council trialling peak and off peak pricing
Highland Council increasing prices (70p per kWh fast charging!!)
Various changes to privately owned charge points

Sheet updated with new pricing for Highland council.

Reactions: init6
For those planning a holiday in Shetland this year( I hear there are quite a few of you after seeing the David Attenborough series on BBC1 and the Tall Ships visit in July) Here are the new charging prices coming into effect on the 11th April.
"The rates will be 47p per kWh at 7kW and 22kW fast chargers and 57p per kWh at 50kW rapid chargers."
The chargers are administered through Chargeplace Scotland.

Aberdeenshire rates have increased as of April according to news reports. The standard 24p rate has gone to 47p with an overstay fine of £30 for rapids. A reduced rate of 27p will be available between 8pm and 8am for 7kw and 22Kw chargers
Yes, I spotted that on Wednesday. Will update the sheet tomorrow.
Glasgow are also introducing charges from the 11th of April - I'll update that too.

Reactions: exlatccatsa
Just a heads up for Inverurie Tescos 12kW PodPoint.
It's no longer free... the communication has been restored.. I was chatting to the engineer as he was repairing it today. The 7Kw chargers were knocked over in the snow, so there's the 50 and the 2x 12kW available.

Just a heads up for Inverurie Tescos 12kW PodPoint.
It's no longer free... the communication has been restored.. I was chatting to the engineer as he was repairing it today. The 7Kw chargers were knocked over in the snow, so there's the 50 and the 2x 12kW available.
Apparently you can get 2kW out of a Podpoint without cost. Ideal if you're just popping into, I dunno, the Ellon Tesco ;)

Reactions: exlatccatsa
As a Belgian, I have the intention to drive to Scotland. And I do understand that:
- without using chargeplacescotlanf, I would be lost as there are little alternatives
- I can not get a charging card without a UK adress and account… and thus no go

Onlu way to use and pay is: via this ChargePlace Scotland WEBPAY

The big question is obviously: is this reliable? Will it work in 90%+ of the attempts?
Any experiences? Or other hints?