Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Port Door Needs service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charge port door service message keeps randomly coming and going for me. Didn’t see it at all today but it did pop up yesterday and the charge port door started spazzing out when I was parked in my driveway. At least it still opens and closes when I tell it to so there’s no issue charging up.

Brought my car into the service center today and they went ahead and ordered a new charge port door for me. I’m not surprised they didn’t have any in stock. Service tech I spoke with said that Tesla is aware of the issue and they’re working on a revised part. However he said that the replacement part I receive will not be the updated part (apparently the updated version is not available yet) and that there is no guarantee that the replacement part won’t experience the same exact issue. He said they would let me know when the updated part does finally become available and reach out to me if I want to have the revised part installed. We’ll see how long it takes for this part to arrive. Crossing my fingers for a P100D loaner when I bring it in for the repair :p

Went through my first car wash (touch-free) on Saturday and my charge port began flapping on Sunday night but no error. There is also a diamond shaped metal piece that is adhered to the inside of the charge port door that fell out as it was flapping. Monday morning, I got the error saying the charge port door needs service. Service center ordered parts, which should come in next week.
oLoyO5dqSpe6TNsCxqS87g.jpg
WPDaOC0VRSyuzzCBqrYVkA.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: PoitNarf
That is the pressure sensor for opening the charge port. Mine fell out the first time I opened it at home. You can superglue it back in and it will work fine. I did take mine to the service center and they replaced that assembly. Only took 1 day to get the part. I did have the car out in the rain all day today and when I opened the charge port at home there was some water behind it... I took a picture and will be sending to my service center. No errors yet.

Has everyone else got this part replaced?? I have been waiting for 2 months now on it, and the service center keeps telling me they are escalating the issue, and have no further update....

I have an appointment scheduled for this Friday to take care of this. My service center has had the part for about 3 weeks now but I wasn't able to make it over there until this week. Hopefully they still have my part and didn't use it for someone else's Model 3!

Side note, looking forward to getting a Model S loaner. I've never driven one before :)

I'm on my 3rd port so far (6 weeks). I had to take my 3 into the SC to fix the bottom right fog light (not coming on) and as I was leaving my house to go to the SC, I heard a strange vibration back near the charge port about 5 seconds after transitioning to Drive and moving forward. This happened leaving my house and at another stop. When I got to the SC, I told them about this vibration noise and a tech came out with me to see if I could duplicate the problem. As he was watching it, it reproduced a similar sound and he indicated that the door wasn't shutting all of the way. They replaced it and I haven't had any issues since (about 3 weeks ago.)

We got a Model S 75D (new with only about 105 miles on it) as a loaner. It was very nice (and fast). It was significantly quicker than the Model 3. Fun.

Reactions: Glamisduner
Hi everyone. Thanks for sharing here. I was just curious, I know a number of people have already submitted their comment, but is this a problem with early deliveries, or more recent deliveries. My guess is that most of you are more recent deliveries. Is that a good guess?

Hi everyone. Thanks for sharing here. I was just curious, I know a number of people have already submitted their comment, but is this a problem with early deliveries, or more recent deliveries. My guess is that most of you are more recent deliveries. Is that a good guess?

I received my Model 3 just 7 weeks ago tomorrow, so fairly recent.

Dropped off my car at the service center this morning. Technician I spoke with said that they have a new part with a better seal that should prevent this from happening in the future. He confirmed with me that my Model 3 will be receiving the updated version of the charge port door.

Unfortunately they didn't have any Model S loaners available today so I got stuck with a Lincoln MKX... Feels like driving a dinosaur compared to my 3...

had the triangle fall off the wife's car a few weeks ago. Superglued it.

I can't believe Tesla doesn't test the cars in a car wash... I've had at least 4 charge port light rings fixed under warranty.

It's a CAR, it goes to the car WASH. Deal with it.

Her car just today popped up with the 'needs service' thing.