Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge port LED pixels, off-color

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottm

Legacy account
Jun 13, 2014
Canada
I notice now one of the LED pixels around the charge port is not doing the right color. I think G of the RGB triade is either totally out, or gone marginal / intermittent. Anyway, it's noticeable on most charge port colors that indicate various things. Shows up on the white ring of "open" and the green ring of "charging" but not the blue ring of "I forget what blue means"...

Not a big deal but minor annoyance, car is off-warranty, super-first-world problem that I don't care much about but would attempt a fix and maybe more eagerly knowing someone else has met with success. My guess is a poor solder joint on one LED chip pin. It's the kind of thing I can fix in my sleep, so long as the design allows for it (not hermetically sealed, openable, etc.).

I might be motivated to pull the port out next time I'm digging into the car in the vicinity. And it would be helpful to know if anybody has already tried any DIY on the charge port LEDs.

If anyone *knew* the LED part used in the Tesla port that would be golden, then I'd get some on hand before going in to hot-air the old one off and put a new one down.

Last edited:
The problem is worsening...

the single color of a pixel has advanced to whole pixel (all colors)

and more pixels are now going out... progressing in counter-clockwise from the original burnout

now maybe 2 or 3 are all-dark

Here, you can see the charge port ready to accept a charge (blue) and green (charging).. yes, that's what a mobile charge handle should look like after 3 years of daily use.. the polished aluminum idea covering the button was nice looking in the showroom. In real life.. doesn't stand up well. I'm just about ready to cover the handle shiny bits with black vinyl wrap of some sort. Maybe "carbon fiber" look.

bluering.png
greenring.png

Last edited:
No I haven't bothered digging into the port to see if the LEDs are serviceable or not.

These are undoubtedly SMT devices probably easy to come by. I think these could be burned out LEDs if driven over-current, or more likely cold solder joints and now just poor connections. This explains why a few were a intermittent color changers at first. If they embedded the LED lenses into that molded clear plastic ring, the heat expansion / contraction at the port for every charge cycle could be pulling / tugging / sliding the LEDs around on their PCB causing shearing or pull stress at the solder joints.

As long as I have some working LEDs and I can tell what the port is trying to tell me, I'm good.

If it were to go all-dark, or no good colors remaining... then it's coming apart.

Just had the charge port door replaced after getting notice, and open all the time. $337 No ESA 69k miles. I mentioned that a few of my LED's were out. Losing one at a time. Tech said. Do you want that fixed as well? Tech said that's a little more pricey with a chuckle. I declined.

Would be interested in a DIY fix for keeping things uniform and working.

Looking at your pictures, my first response was that you are rougher with your charge handle and port than anyone I know. I have had two Model Ss, both with over 80K miles on them. Chargers have no scratches, ports look new. Looks like you throw yours onto gravel. I can imagine that you might be more aggressive than you need be in pushing the charge plug in or pulling it out. Well, you're proving it can take abuse, which is a data point.

They said my port was bad, they lied, charged me 600.
They did not know I had installed a new the night before.
It was the v9 load. Which they finally fixed.
The colours are driven by software, if one or 2 burned out? And charge works, I wouldn't worry about it.
I still have the port. I will sell it for $100 if u want it.
It is fir 12 thru 15 models. Gen1

The colours are driven by software, if one or 2 burned out? And charge works, I wouldn't worry about it.
Are you selling the charge port, or the LED ring? On early cars without the self-closing charge port door, the LED ring is separate from the port and (the LED ring) is easy to replace. Pull out the trunk carpet in the rear wheel well, undo the bolts holding the charge port to the fender and pull it into the trunk. The LED ring is sandwiched between the port and the fender. Remove, unplug the 4 pin connector, and reassemble. Easy-peasy, maybe 15 min max once you get your tools together.

check your private messages, thanks