Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge port.. uh.. flapping?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our charge port seems to be possessed. It seems to go nuts sometimes, opening and closing on its own. It will stop when we shift the car out of park, and when charging. Anyone else had this happen? We’ve rebooted once, didn’t help. The car knows it’s open or closed, as the status changes in the UI.

• Funny
Reactions: Pkmmte
This is another example of KISS....or lack of it.
The Volt used to have a remote charge door feature (press the button on the FOB or inside the car, and the charge door would pop open). Was cool at first "Hey guys, check this out!" but I found it was actually more hassle than it was worth. Plus cutting out the remote charge door would surely have saved Tesla a few dollars on each unit.

Reactions: N5329K
The Volt used to have a remote charge door feature (press the button on the FOB or inside the car, and the charge door would pop open). Was cool at first "Hey guys, check this out!" but I found it was actually more hassle than it was worth. Plus cutting out the remote charge door would surely have saved Tesla a few dollars on each unit.
I speculated it was mechanical before, but if you think about it is better for it to be a remote door in order to support future FSD usage.

Extra switches usually are for controlling floor lamps. If you notice one of the outlets nearby not working sometimes, then the switch is responsible. Of course, in your case it can be more wicked.
I had a 1984 BMW 524e that had a light switch and a little wheel that adjusted the brightness of the light controlled by the switch. The only problem was that the switch wasn't connected to anything. I spent lots of time trying to figure out what that switch controlled. Turned out that it was only for European marketed cars. It was the "switch to nowhere."

• Funny
Reactions: david_42

But then how will the mechanical robot snake charger do its thing when the 3 is driving autonomously and needs a charge? ;-)

Reactions: ikjadoon and rsbell