Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Port Will Not Unlock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i have the joy of my new S. Yesterday I used supercharger for second time. It would not unlatch. I had help from 2 people at the supercharger and one got on the phone with Tesla (calling emergency number on supercharger) and he had to go into my truck and pull off a little square of carpet, stick his finger in there, and move a latch to the right. I was nervous but we tried everything, locking, unlocking, app, computer screen, opening and closing trunk, etc. Could it be the way I approached my car? I put my shopping in the back seat passenger side and then approached from the back. I’m feeling a bit paranoid because I left Tela with 4 tires all under 40 psi so the dealer did not check the car fully before releasing it to me. I’ll take any and all advice on how to properly treat my new girl so she charges happy. Thank you.

Is this a new or CPO Model S? I had something similar on my CPO - and there was a VERY simple fix. It seems that sometimes the hinge and spring on the charge port can get stuck. If you stand with your back to the car, make a fist with your left hand, and bang the charge port right on the hinge, you can "unstick" it. I had to do this only once and my charge port has worked flawlessly since.

Reactions: renambot
My problem with the charge port is that when I have the cable plugged in, and try to unplug it by pushing the little release button on my charge cable, the car will unlock the cable for maybe half a second and then it locks it in again. It's quite annoying because you gotta be pretty fast to pull the cable out when you hear the car releasing it.

Is this a new or CPO Model S? I had something similar on my CPO - and there was a VERY simple fix. It seems that sometimes the hinge and spring on the charge port can get stuck. If you stand with your back to the car, make a fist with your left hand, and bang the charge port right on the hinge, you can "unstick" it. I had to do this only once and my charge port has worked flawlessly since.

Just wanted to report the banging on the charge port door hinge "trick" worked for me after the door did not open using any of the usual steps (Console, App, Charging Cable button). I should have checked this forum first before I scheduled a Service Visit. It's all good now & appointment cancelled. Thank You!!

In our 2013 (nov built), the cable will not unlatch from the charge port. Spent about an hour on the phone with Tesla (very professional service from the Tesla technician) and tried all the possible tricks but to no avail. Unfortunately the 2013 does not have the manual release and the charge port with a manual release cannot be retrofited(bummer!!). The tech scheduled a ranger to come over. I had proposed to send a video and the ranger asked to see it before scheduling the visit. After viewing it, the ranger suggested the problem was with our HPWC even though the initial phone technician said it was a charge port problem. Meanwhile I tried many times all the procedures and was able to remove the handle from the car. That allowed me to try the mobile connector instead of the HPWC and it did work...until I locked the mobile connector too!! So had to call Tesla again and unfortunately got the weekend schedule. So Tesla arranged a rental for us and we are waiting anew for a ranger to come by. So it looks like a charge port problem after all. It will be our fourth charge port if confirmed by the ranger. I will keep you posted.

I have encountered a "stuck" charge port door for the second time during the past month just yesterday on my 2018 S 75D. Every time I tried to open it by the usual methods a motor could be heard trying to do the " job " with no results. I looked behind the removable carpet flap in the trunk but found no cable to manually open it. It took a number of hits near the hinge on the outside to finally pop it open. If this reoccurs,, I will have to schedule service.