Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge topping off every hour?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So...

I tried a few more things to better understand the behavior I'm seeing. First, I let the car charge to 70% a couple of nights ago, then moved the desired SoC slider down to 60%, and left the car plugged in overnight. No notifications. My conclusion then, was that this behavior isn't really about a bug in the app reporting old news every hour, but about the car beginning a short charging session every hour due to drain.

Next...

I started to watch the drain rates, and have observed pretty consistent 1 mph drain rate. For instance, here is a side-by-side of my SoC from 9pm last night to 9am this morning. For reference, I did not open the app or take my phone near the car during that time. Also, I had already disabled WiFi and Cabin Overheat Protection. I have not yet attached a USB drive, so this wouldn't be related to use of Sentry Mode or TeslaCam. Is there some other likely offender in the vehicle settings I should try disabling?

Vampire.Drain.png

I'm assuming this level of Vampire Drain is considered atypical?

I haven't yet disabled TeslaFi logging, but that test comes tonight. I did login to my account today, and I observe that the car was not seen to "sleep" at all yesterday, but rather to "idle:"

TeslaFi.Sleep.April.1.png

Anybody got any hot tips on what to disable next if TeslaFi isn't causing this? If TeslaFi is causing the problem, I see a ton of options related to trying to help your car sleep in their API, but I don't really understand where to begin poking. Thoughts?

Anybody got any hot tips on what to disable next if TeslaFi isn't causing this? If TeslaFi is causing the problem, I see a ton of options related to trying to help your car sleep in their API, but I don't really understand where to begin poking. Thoughts?
Not sure about the full story, but I noticed that the 12 V was staying on for a long time when the EV plug was connected.
But turned off quickly when the EV plug is not connected.

I try now, when I park in my garage, not to plug immediately, and to come a little bit later to plug after checking if the the 12 V turned off.

So I come back without my phone. If I press the door handle, I can check that the door is locked but this is enough to reactivate the 12 V.

I can then press on the EV trap door to open it and put the EV plug. When I come back later, I can noticed that the 12 V is off again.

Note: Not very scientific approach, I was just not patient enough to stay next to the car as I was just experimenting.
May be I will make more precise duration measurements over the weekend. (Also not 100 % of everything I mention above...)

Note: To check if the 12 V is on or off, I just plug a QI wireless charger that I use for my smartphone to one of the two USB plugs.
I left the charger visible from the outside. There is a red LED when connected, which turned blue when I put my phone on top of it.

So...

It was TeslaFi.

I ran the same test last night. Charged to 80%, unplugged at 8:45pm and left the car alone until 8:45am, after which time there was 1 mile of range loss. That 1 mile could be normal vampire drain, or even just variation in measurement.

No.Vampire.Drain.png

The only change I made from the night previous was to login to TeslaFi and change a single setting to enable "sleep mode:"

Sleep Modes.png tempsnip.png

30 minutes after that, my car started making Z's and continued through the night:

TeslaFi.Sleep.April.3.png

Thanks all for your thoughts and insights. Hope this info can be useful to some other new owner(s)!

• Informative
Reactions: preilly44
Anyone still having this issue? I was on 5.15 with no issues. Upgraded to 8.4 a couple days ago and no issue. Last night updgrade to 8.5 and immediately noticed this issue when I woke up. Probably would have charged again at 7:15 if I didn’t take it off the charger before that. Tried 2 button reset and powering down the car in the safety and security menu. Still does it.

0C032AEA-7BF1-452D-9B8F-CAB0F6FCFF2E.jpeg

Anyone still having this issue? I was on 5.15 with no issues. Upgraded to 8.4 a couple days ago and no issue. Last night updgrade to 8.5 and immediately noticed this issue when I woke up. Probably would have charged again at 7:15 if I didn’t take it off the charger before that. Tried 2 button reset and powering down the car in the safety and security menu. Still does it.

View attachment 394092

on 8.X versions I have noticed the car saying "completed charging" whenever you wake it up and its on a charger. This is without teslafi or any other 3rd party app running / accessing my car. I suspect that anyone running one of those apps is getting a notification every time that app accesses your car. Note, I am just making a guess based on whats happening with my car when I access the official tesla app while on my home charger.

View attachment 394092

What's your vampire drain rate? Is your car leaving idle to enter sleep?

What's your vampire drain rate? Is your car leaving idle to enter sleep?

Stats app says about .25 mile/hr phantom drain rate nothing higher than avg user. I’ll have to pay attention but it seemed to be sleeping when I went to unplug before leaving for work.
Gonna log out of Remote S and Stats apps to see if that makes a difference. Not sure why they would all of a sudden cause this issue...as the only thing that has changed is upgrading from 8.4 to 8.5. Guess will see in the AM

Stats app says about .25 mile/hr phantom drain rate nothing higher than avg user. I’ll have to pay attention but it seemed to be sleeping when I went to unplug before leaving for work.
Gonna log out of Remote S and Stats apps to see if that makes a difference. Not sure why they would all of a sudden cause this issue...as the only thing that has changed is upgrading from 8.4 to 8.5. Guess will see in the AM

So after logging out of remote S and stats apps....it still topped off twice that night. Did it each hr again after the initial charge complete....but then stopped after the second top off. So far it hasn’t done it again since then. Not really sure what changed or why it was doing that, but will report back if it pops up again.

Update: spoke too soon. 6hr after last nights initial “charge complete” it topped off again just now. Will leave it plugged in for a couple more hours. Guess will see if it continues doing it again.

Last edited:
My opinion is, you are over thinking it, like most new tesla drivers do. Just set it to 80 or 90% and plug in when you get home. There is no advantage to plugging in every 3-4 days or whatever. You can read about charging here for days, but if you are interested in what Tesla itself has to say about charging, plugging in, etc it can be found in the manual on page 122 (I actually remember the page number from re posting this a few times here). Here is the text directly from the manual.

==========================

About the Battery

Model 3 has one of the most sophisticated

battery systems in the world. The most

important way to preserve the Battery is to

LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE PLUGGED IN when

you are not using it. This is particularly

important if you are not planning to drive

Model 3 for several weeks. When plugged in,

Model 3 wakes up when needed to

automatically maintain a charge level that

maximizes the lifetime of the Battery.

Note: When left idle and unplugged, your

vehicle periodically uses energy from the

Battery for system tests and recharging the

12V battery when necessary.

There is no advantage to waiting until the

Battery’s level is low before charging. In fact,

the Battery performs best when charged

regularly.

Note: If the Model 3 Battery becomes

completely discharged in a situation in which

towing is required, the owner is responsible

for towing expenses. Discharge-related towing

expenses are not covered under the Roadside

Assistance policy
Thanks for posting this jrandorin, I am a notorious manual skimmer and missed this important fact.

Reactions: jjrandorin