Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge-Up NJ rebate program Phase 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One speaker (around 11:05) said Tesla has different treatment for date for rebate; it's date of registration for rabate eligibility. he also said in this case buyer could continue extending temp tag until 7/1.

One speaker (around 11:05) said Tesla has different treatment for date for rebate; it's date of registration for rabate eligibility. he also said in this case buyer could continue extending temp tag until 7/1.
Yeah I listened to that too. His name was John something and he was in representing of a large dealer chain in NJ. Seems like he was completely against this idea and wanted to change it so Tesla would have to go by order date and not actual registration date. I could see why he would say that as he probably loses a lot of EV business to Tesla, I just hope what he said was true about Tesla going by registration date and hope that BPU decides not to change this

Reactions: rjpjnk
Yeah I listened to that too. His name was John something and he was in representing of a large dealer chain in NJ. Seems like he was completely against this idea and wanted to change it so Tesla would have to go by order date and not actual registration date. I could see why he would say that as he probably loses a lot of EV business to Tesla, I just hope what he said was true about Tesla going by registration date and hope that BPU decides not to change this
If it's registration date for Tesla; how do we get rebate? If car coms before 7/1 Tesla may not have POS enable and there might not be after purchase rebate portal like phase 1.

i honestly don't care anymore. If your car comes early, and you have to re-order and wait or move the car to it, there is a price increase that you have to eat, making the rebate even less appetizing. State of NJ doesn't have their stuff together with a month to go....

The in effort of not giving fun rebate to Tesla they are basically slowing down the ev adoption rate. people want range at a price on a car they can actually buy. not just concept. Just give that money based on range and it solves the problem for everyone. I wish it was that simple though

NJ and simple never go together.

It is easy to say: "We want lower priced cars so lower median income households can afford them" so lets set the caps that encourage this. Quite another effort to manufacture cars that fit the criteria that families want: range and interior room into that same lower price threshold.

And with the lower range cars that fit into this price threshold that puts stress on charging infrastructure. People living in higher density housing typically will not have parking with a plug and the added complexity of dealing with charging will encourage continuing to purchase new/used ICE vehicles.

Those seemed to be in the minority. A senior policy advisor from Tesla spoke as well, made some great points. He offered sort of a compromise 4k across the board incentive instead of doing the soft cap. Advised to keep the program simple to increase adoption.

Reactions: rchivert
Those speakers seemed to be in the minority. In fact, they had a Sr policy for Tesla on the call and he spoke against the softcap and made great points. Also offered a sort of compromise....4k across the board rebate. Stated that the softcap will just add to confusion and its better to keep these types of rebates simple to increase adoption. Also, fyi, the NJ fiscal year has to start on July 1 and its a state law that these budgets get approved and signed by the gov prior to 7/1.

Reactions: rchivert
Those speakers seemed to be in the minority. In fact, they had a Sr policy for Tesla on the call and he spoke against the softcap and made great points. Also offered a sort of compromise....4k across the board rebate. Stated that the softcap will just add to confusion and its better to keep these types of rebates simple to increase adoption. Also, fyi, the NJ fiscal year has to start on July 1 and its a state law that these budgets get approved and signed by the gov prior to 7/1.

Still have to implement the program. Budget can pass and they still don’t know how to do the POS. Go ask dealers how it works. Nobody has a clue. Budget passing doesn’t have to correlate with this starting on time.

I'm guessing since on several instance during the call and sparse documentation we have at the moment, this would be finalized by mid September at the MAX if they are going to launch by Summer 2021

So basically most people said either increase the cap to 60K$ MSRP, a flat 4K$ rebate, Phased out rebate YOY, keeping 5K$ rebate or the one idiot in the beginning who said to reduce the rebate and MSRP cap. This proposed soft cap is basically a push for lower income households to buy ANY EV, even the crappy ones with low range and less features.

Reactions: rchivert and rjpjnk
No matter how they slice it, people with low income typically don't buy new 35k+ cars, they normally buy used vehicles and none of these rebates will apply to a used vehicle.
Agreed - but this program's mission is "drive green" to increase air quality among other things. Unfortunately, EVs are still out of reach for most people, but for those of us that can afford them, this is to entice us to make the switch. Before I got my Model 3 in 2018, I was dead set on a Lexus is350 F-sport. The car was $50k (or I had the option to buy a 1yr old one for less), vs my equivalent Tesla Model 3 dual motor at $59-60k before the federal rebate. If that rebate wasn't in place, I'm not sure I would have bought the Model 3. For those that own a Hyundai Kona or Leaf - the comparable gas equivalents are over $10k less. Without an incentive to bridge the gap until costs come down, it's a tough decision to sell people on new technology and these "savings" when the upfront cost is meaningfully different.

All that said, I'm supportive a simple flat cap across the board with the existing $55k MSRP (I'm not sure what increasing to $60k does aside from provide more Tesla and Ford Mach E owners with the ability add more options) even if means lowering the rebate below $5k.

So. I’m thinking of ordering a new Y. Not in a rush. As far as I can tell from these threads the rebate is in effect from purchase date to delivery? If so should I wait for Phase 2 to be in acted? Doesn’t seem like it’s going to be retroactive? TIA

No matter how they slice it, people with low income typically don't buy new 35k+ cars, they normally buy used vehicles and none of these rebates will apply to a used vehicle.
Often they buy oversized gas guzzling suv's

Normal people with some common sense with buy a used economic car and run it to the ground with a sound system that's worth more than the car itself.

No matter how affordable you make it, there is always some people want it for less as a Ford Fiesta price range. If people want to buy the car, keep a set price on the rebate for both EV & PHEV. they both help the environment .

I received the following "Order Update" confirmation request from Tesla today. If I do not want to take delivery until July, should I not click on the "Proceed with delivery" button?

I've never seen an update email like this. Did some searching and apparently it is due to the recent very significant change involving the removal of radar from the autopilot system. I guess they want to make sure I accept this change. Apparently this is also what caused the deliveries to be suspended the last month or so.
Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 8.50.25 AM.png

I received the following "Order Update" confirmation request from Tesla today. If I do not want to take delivery until July, should I not click on the "Proceed with delivery" button?

You may have been assigned a VIN (or the system soft matched you and is prepared to officially assign it to you). When I saw that message the moment I clicked “proceed” I got a text with my VIN and a call from Springfield 30 minutes later to schedule delivery. I did get an email at midnight my final payment was ready, which is why I checked. I’d say give your SA a call or the central line (who can make your SA call you) and see what your options are if you want to wait until after July 1.