Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge-Up NJ rebate program Phase 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spoke to a rep from NJBPU. Asked about the following “ Vehicles ordered, purchased, or leased prior to the incentive’s effective date are not eligible for an incentive. For the purposes of the incentive, the vehicle transaction date is the date that the vehicle is delivered and the contract is fully executed. The rep said that delivery and contract “FULLY” executed is the date they will go by. Also spoke to my Rep in Springfield. He said The NJ finance team is working with NJBPU on exactly how this works since Tesla is the one giving the discount on to be reimbursed by NJBPU.
Using order date is ridiculous.

Why are you guys cancelling so quickly... It has been said many times that it will go by registration date. They don't have a way of tracking order date, your gonna sign your agreements during delivery and you will provide the date on those documents there. The dealer will have to pay the 5k first but they will use those documents you signed on delivery day to get their money back from the NJBPU. I mean sure go ahead, cancel... Im just gonna get a quicker date.

Why are you guys cancelling so quickly... It has been said many times that it will go by registration date. They don't have a way of tracking order date, your gonna sign your agreements during delivery and you will provide the date on those documents there. The dealer will have to pay the 5k first but they will use those documents you signed on delivery day to get their money back from the NJBPU. I mean sure go ahead, cancel... Im just gonna get a quicker date.
Also, stop panicking with which dealers are enrolled and which are not. They will most likely all be involved. Do you really think that Tesla Paramus is gonna give up all the sales going to Springfield or Cherry Hill? They will get massive amounts of people asking for it, and they will enroll or loose business. I am getting delivery in paramus and I will wait and see.

It will go by registration date; said many times by who? I've heard it, but I don't know that I can say I have reliable sources. In contrast, the Terms and Conditions specify multiple times in multiple places that your order has to be placed after the program launch date. In this document that you must sign yourself for eligibility, very explicitly in the Applicant Eligibility section you're agreeing:

The applicant must:
3. Agree that the entirety of the purchase or lease for an eligible vehicle must occur on or after the official launch of Phase Two, the Point-of-Sale Program, and in the State of New Jersey at a participating dealership or showroom.
a. Vehicles ordered in advance of the Phase Two launch will not be eligible for an incentive.

Additionally there's a section for those who try to sidestep this:

False Statements:
An applicant, showroom, dealership or vehicle manufacturer providing a false statement in any of the information submitted to the Charge Up New Jersey program may be criminally liable in accordance with applicable state or federal statutes, and any such false statement could result in incentive denial and/or removal from the Charge Up New Jersey program.

I'm not fully disagreeing, there definitely seems to be room for Tesla to fudge the numbers in your favor. The real damning part is that they must submit the Purchase Contract to apply for the credit, which may reference your Order Contract, containing your order date therein (which they could flat out lie about, I suppose). It seems like a risk for both parties, and who can say whether they want to do it with a line of people out the door willing to take your order the second you cancel.

It's really a gamble, just as it was a gamble when I placed my order in the middle of June. I ate the $100 and reordered earlier today, and I have 100% confidence that I will receive this incentive and I fall in line with the requirements, and the peace of mind is worth something. Anyone who waits to find out what happens will now fall behind me in line if they eventually reorder.

I will say, though, if you have an open order in and there's a chance Tesla will work with you on the bypassing this, and you don't mind the gamble that you might end up reordering even later and ending up further back in line, by all means wait it out. If you're right then you'll save $100 and get your car sooner. If you're wrong you're looking at a very late delivery. For me, the verbiage seems extremely clear. Whether we think it makes sense or not is another argument all together, but I know from where I'm sitting I have more peace of mind now.

Reactions: mc02
Also, stop panicking with which dealers are enrolled and which are not. They will most likely all be involved. Do you really think that Tesla Paramus is gonna give up all the sales going to Springfield or Cherry Hill? They will get massive amounts of people asking for it, and they will enroll or loose business. I am getting delivery in paramus and I will wait and see.
Is Paramus a real sales center? NJ has a limit on Tesla. I thought 3 which I thought were Cherry Hill, Lawrencevillle, and Springfield. Others are show rooms not sales. Apparently they can't even discuss financing. At least that's my understanding.

It will go by registration date; said many times by who? I've heard it, but I don't know that I can say I have reliable sources. In contrast, the Terms and Conditions specify multiple times in multiple places that your order has to be placed after the program launch date. In this document that you must sign yourself for eligibility, very explicitly in the Applicant Eligibility section you're agreeing:

The applicant must:
3. Agree that the entirety of the purchase or lease for an eligible vehicle must occur on or after the official launch of Phase Two, the Point-of-Sale Program, and in the State of New Jersey at a participating dealership or showroom.
a. Vehicles ordered in advance of the Phase Two launch will not be eligible for an incentive.

False Statements:
An applicant, showroom, dealership or vehicle manufacturer providing a false statement in any of the information submitted to the Charge Up New Jersey program may be criminally liable in accordance with applicable state or federal statutes, and any such false statement could result in incentive denial and/or removal from the Charge Up New Jersey program.

I'm not fully disagreeing, there definitely seems to be room for Tesla to fudge the numbers in your favor. The real damning part is that they must submit the Purchase Contract to apply for the credit, which may reference your Order Contract, containing your order date therein (which they could flat out lie about, I suppose). It seems like a risk for both parties, and who can say whether they want to do it with a line of people out the door willing to take your order the second you cancel.

It's really a gamble, just as it was a gamble when I placed my order in the middle of June. I ate the $100 and reordered earlier today, and I have 100% confidence that I will receive this incentive and I fall in line with the requirements, and the peace of mind is worth something. Anyone who waits to find out what happens will now fall behind me in line if they eventually reorder.

I will say, though, if you have an open order in and there's a chance Tesla will work with you on the bypassing this, and you don't mind the gamble that you might end up reordering even later and ending up further back in line, by all means wait it out. If you're right then you'll save $100 and get your car sooner. If you're wrong you're looking at a very late delivery. For me, the verbiage seems extremely clear. Whether we think it makes sense or not is another argument all together, but I know from where I'm sitting I have more peace of mind now.
Exactly this. Tesla has no incentive to lie in the process. Too much risk to lose out on the incentive and bad PR.

Reactions: andreasefthy
Is Paramus a real sales center? NJ has a limit on Tesla. I thought 3 which I thought were Cherry Hill, Lawrencevillle, and Springfield. Others are show rooms not sales. Apparently they can't even discuss financing. At least that's my understanding.
I don’t know, but when I ordered on April 1st I had to choose Paramus because Springfield was not listed as an option. Not sure why as they are about the same distance from me.

I don’t know, but when I ordered on April 1st I had to choose Paramus because Springfield was not listed as an option. Not sure why as they are about the same distance from me.
Looks like Paramus is. I think my confusion is that there are apparently two in Paramus. A store and a gallery. I believe the gallery can not sell. It can only sell. So it looks like there are 4 now. Maybe it was 3 before Lawrenceville opened last year. From the Tesla Site

US Tesla Stores and Galleries | Tesla
Snap9.png

Reactions: rjpjnk

The applicant must:

False Statements:

Here is the video they sent out to dealers on:
1. How to enroll into this program.
2. How to file for the incentive (for each buyer)

They specifically say the dealer will have to pay out of pocket during the purchase agreement. Then file for the incentive and then they will repay the dealer. But they also show **in written form** that (24:55)"For Tesla vehicles and other vehicles ordered without standard purchase/lease agreements, the date of first registration is considered the date of purchase or lease"

This incentive is not built just for Teslas, they are for all EVs. Only Tesla has a "Order Date". Since this has to fit all dealership types, they require lease/purchase agreement date, which is the date you sign all your documents at delivery.

To see which documents the dealership has to upload look at 25:57 in the video. "Purchase/Lease agreement"

These people giving out incentives need the day you sign your papers, until then the car is not sold or leased. You can cancel the order like you did, they dont care for that date.

And just to make sure, I googled a picture of a Tesla purchase agreement and yep, no order date anywhere visible on paperwork. And paperwork is what you upload, not some online order dates.

Reactions: ParkinNJ and rjpjnk

The applicant must:

False Statements:

Altough, I agree with your points. The information you are providing is a 100% accurate, it is a copy and paste from the website. Altough my video is also from the source itself. I am thinking that the words they are using are very generalized towards all cars. They dont specifically target Tesla's Made-To-Order system. Here is an example "Order Agreement" not "Purchase Agreement" that the incentive requires. This is the only document that specifies the "Order Date" but that is not what dealers are supposed to upload as it doesnt have relevant information for them. All we can do is wait a little longer and see, more information is needed from more experienced folks at Tesla and the people giving the incentive. The folks telling you to Re-order from tesla are just regular Customer Service employees that just saw one line of the website and said the same thing you saw. Id wait couple more days before cancelling to get more information from dealer managers etc, those people that actually enrolled in this program. Again, there is just so much conflicting information on the table, for example im leasing... and one Tesla dealer says you dont get incentive for leasing and one dealers says you do... I mean... the website says you do... Who the heck knows at this point. I just wish they were more clear and transparent even to dealers who are themselves confused.

Attachments

• Tesla.PNG
    Tesla.PNG
    42.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Here is the video they sent out to dealers on:
1. How to enroll into this program.
2. How to file for the incentive (for each buyer)

They specifically say the dealer will have to pay out of pocket during the purchase agreement. Then file for the incentive and then they will repay the dealer. But they also show **in written form** that (24:55)"For Tesla vehicles and other vehicles ordered without standard purchase/lease agreements, the date of first registration is considered the date of purchase or lease"

This incentive is not built just for Teslas, they are for all EVs. Only Tesla has a "Order Date". Since this has to fit all dealership types, they require lease/purchase agreement date, which is the date you sign all your documents at delivery.

To see which documents the dealership has to upload look at 25:57 in the video. "Purchase/Lease agreement"

These people giving out incentives need the day you sign your papers, until then the car is not sold or leased. You can cancel the order like you did, they dont care for that date.

And just to make sure, I googled a picture of a Tesla purchase agreement and yep, no order date anywhere visible on paperwork. And paperwork is what you upload, not some online order dates.
I checked my M3 MVPA (Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement) from Dec 2020; it doesn't have "Order Date" but labelled as "Accepted by Customer On" on 1st page - this was the date I placed that order. Hopefully Tesla will get clarification from BPU and CSE soon.

I checked my M3 MVPA (Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement) from Dec 2020; it doesn't have "Order Date" but labelled as "Accepted by Customer On" on 1st page - this was the date I placed that order. Hopefully Tesla will get clarification from BPU and CSE soon.
Thanks spat, I mean yeah I don't know... Like I edited the post above, I added... one dealer says you can get an incentive for leasing one says no... they are themselves confused... and I guess I am confused too... I just wish it was more clear so there would be no debate from the beginning. If they were more clear on the rules from when they announced this Phase 2, everyone would be having a peace of mind. Now, people will start cancelling, reordering at different dealers... I cannot imagine how screwed up this all looks in Teslas system lol.

And Im with you guys, I mean If your right then heck yeah Im cancelling the order and ordering again... you dont just pick up 5k on the street. I can wait a little longer, its already long... so longer doesnt matter to me personally lol. I tried contacting tesla paramus, no response.

Thanks spat, I mean yeah I don't know... Like I edited the post above, I added... one dealer says you can get an incentive for leasing one says no... they are themselves confused... and I guess I am confused too... I just wish it was more clear so there would be no debate from the beginning. If they were more clear on the rules from when they announced this Phase 2, everyone would be having a peace of mind. Now, people will start cancelling, reordering at different dealers... I cannot imagine how screwed up this all looks in Teslas system lol.
That what my has. For order accepted by it has the date I ordered. All other dates are the delivery date.