Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chargeplace Scotland 50kw CCS??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
221CF8BE-77D0-4A2A-ACD5-16DB8B0C2716.png
Hi all, wondering if anyone can give any insight to the ccs connectors with the chargeplace Scotland chargers. A considerable number show as “unknown” status as attached. I see that some do show as unavailable/out of service, why don’t these if they’re out?

Not used the exact charger you've referenced above but have used plenty of CCS CPS chargers without issue.

Why don't you cross reference the status with the Charge Your Car app or Zapmap app to see what they're reporting Paisley as?

I think it's to do with the connection to the charger being crap - it stops communicating with ChargePlaceScotlands systems so it shows as unknown after a while - annoying as the only way to see if its actually working is to turn up :/

Not used the exact charger you've referenced above but have used plenty of CCS CPS chargers without issue.

Why don't you cross reference the status with the Charge Your Car app or Zapmap app to see what they're reporting Paisley as?
This was just an example charger. Many on the route show ac as operating, Chademo as operating and ccs as unknown. Do you remember if some of the ones you did use were showing as unknown? What app did you use to check availability and status etc?

This was just an example charger. Many on the route show ac as operating, Chademo as operating and ccs as unknown. Do you remember if some of the ones you did use were showing as unknown? What app did you use to check availability and status etc?
Ah, I see. Think @Alistairuk is correct then that it's a connection/reporting issue.

The charger I use regularly is unavailable on both the charge place Scotland website and Charge your car app.

Shows as available and recently used on Zapmap though.

This is a limitation of the older generation APT Rapid Charger, it is incapable of reporting independent statuses for each DC connector; so it only reports the Chademo. Newer models used by CPS/CYC are capable of showing the status of each connector.

Source: Constant "unknown status" on CYC Combined...
So can I assume that if the chademo is available and ccs in unknown that the ccs is available? Seems logical, and always the back up of type 2 If required

So can I assume that if the chademo is available and ccs in unknown that the ccs is available? Seems logical, and always the back up of type 2 If required
That is my understanding, as that particular charger can't concurrently charge on CCS and Chademo.

Obviously though there remains the risk of damage to a connector/cable, for which you're best off relying on reports on Plugshare/Zap-Map.

In my experience the 2 local chargeplacescotland CCS will only give a partial charge before cutting out, on my car. I know of M3 owners who don't bother using them. Inverurie has one which will not work with my car and the other I can get perhaps 20% if I'm lucky before producing the error message. I tried Peterhead lido a couple of days ago and got 20% then went to the type 2 for 5% but then was able to use the CCS again for another 20%.. Something you can't do In Inverurie. I've found that the not available pops up after the error message has displayed and it takes time to reset. So my advice is use them but don't rely on them. BTW, on a trip to Lochinver a few weeks ago the CCS performed flawlessly.

The Fraserburgh one does not work on CCS with Tesla it just throws up an error message seconds after starting to charge, although CCS does work with other manufacturers. It charges fine on AC Type 2 showing 12kw/h just rather slow. I have heard Peterhead is the same but @exlatccatsa seems to have had partial success. Apparently it's caused by a handshake issue between the Evolt charger and Tesla cars. I have been told some CPS chargers are offline and don't work with the app only the RFID card.

Visiting Scotland at the moment and have found the Chargeplace Scotland chargers very useful. Not without issues however.

Hawick - CCS started charging at max rate but seemed to drop to about 30Kwh within 10 minutes. This happened a few times.

Melrose - Chargers were ICE’d. All 3 parking slots next to the charger occupied. Had to wait for 25 minutes for someone to return, they were completely oblivious until I mentioned it to them. To be fair though, there was no notice or marking to say that the parking slots were for EVs only so I couldn’t be too grumpy :)

Killin (nr Loch Tay) - on a couple of occasions charging would stop almost immediately. Took a few times to get it connected and charging. At least these parking spaces were clearly marked out as EV only though.

Overall have managed just fine, glad I acquired the Chargeplace Scotland card before the trip.

I was in Broadford on Skye last week and tried ccs via adaptor for MS....Would not work .A model 3 owner pulled up and I explained.....He said he had had this before and although he did not have an RFID card he had been told to select CHADEMO on the app and it works.

select CHADEMO and charge CCS

• Helpful
Reactions: Joelly
Visiting Scotland at the moment and have found the Chargeplace Scotland chargers very useful. Not without issues however.

Hawick - CCS started charging at max rate but seemed to drop to about 30Kwh within 10 minutes. This happened a few times.

Melrose - Chargers were ICE’d. All 3 parking slots next to the charger occupied. Had to wait for 25 minutes for someone to return, they were completely oblivious until I mentioned it to them. To be fair though, there was no notice or marking to say that the parking slots were for EVs only so I couldn’t be too grumpy :)

Killin (nr Loch Tay) - on a couple of occasions charging would stop almost immediately. Took a few times to get it connected and charging. At least these parking spaces were clearly marked out as EV only though.

Overall have managed just fine, glad I acquired the Chargeplace Scotland card before the trip.
I had that problem with Hawick but the one in Jedburgh worked perfect

Traveling to Scotland in a few weeks so called Charge your car (BP chargemaster) regarding most CCS chargers being "Unknown". The guy on the phone told me almost all CCS charges in the area are out of order dues to them being "smashed up" by vandals who don't like EV's. New cables have a 6 month lead time. o_O Sounds very concerning - Is this a wind up? I cant find any news articles regarding this?

He reassured be all Type 2 AC chargers are working...

Most of Scotland apparently - but specifically discussed the Loch Lomond area

This is absolutely not the case for Scotland across the board. The Loch Lomond area may have suffered specifically, I don't know, but I have never heard of any accusations of vandalism to chargers in the Scottish Borders (my own area). Perhaps I'm just out of the loop but I'll be doing some online investigations. Anyone coming across such an issue should be writing to MSPs, MPs, Councils and Police Scotland!

He reassured be all Type 2 AC chargers are working...

Well, that's strange because the Type 2 is from the same machine as the chademo and CCS on the Charge Place Scotland chargers... so does a vandal only attack one of the cables?!