Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CCS Retrofit Availability (2023)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone gotten the CCS upgrade only (no adapter)? I already have a Tesla CCS adapter (a friend bought it for me when they first released it).
The CCS retrofit kit is a single part number which includes the ECU and CCS adapter together. It's presumed that Tesla will/can not deduct the cost of the adapter while retaining it (i.e., not giving it to you).

About the only way I see that you could do the upgrade without incurring the cost of the adapter would be to order the appropriate ECU by itself and ask them to install it and do the software initialization. I'm not aware that it's even possible to do this, merely suggesting that it's the only logical way it could be done.

I was in the same position. I had ordered the CCS adapter from South Korea via the buyer's proxy when the "bundle of wires" update was developed.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I would but I don’t want to mess with charging outside Tesla - don’t want them to take away free supercharging. I’ll probably just sell the spare adapter if they won’t credit the price of the adapter.
It might be worth seeing if you’re able to order the 1537264-09-B part directly through Tesla and see if they’ll install it. But otherwise yeah your plan isn’t a terrible worst case scenario

I would but I don’t want to mess with charging outside Tesla - don’t want them to take away free supercharging.
That can't happen because of that. They would be strictly legally forbidden from touching that status just because of using a third party company for a repair. There are only a few conditions where that Supercharging status could change, and they mostly relate to the state of the title or ownership:

1. If Tesla buys the car back at some point.
2. If the car gets fully wrecked and the title gets declared salvage.
3. If someone uses this deal of transferring the Supercharging status to a new car they are buying.

I can't think of any other conditions where it could be removed.

That can't happen because of that. They would be strictly legally forbidden from touching that status just because of using a third party company for a repair. There are only a few conditions where that Supercharging status could change, and they mostly relate to the state of the title or ownership:

1. If Tesla buys the car back at some point.
2. If the car gets fully wrecked and the title gets declared salvage.
3. If someone uses this deal of transferring the Supercharging status to a new car they are buying.

I can't think of any other conditions where it could be removed.
That’s good to know because I intend and changing the battery when it fails. Good to know they likely wouldn’t take away supercharging bc of random reasoning.

Reactions: Rocky_H
The retrofit was installed today. I made the appointment last Thursday. I was given a 4-Hour window. This morning I received a message that a technician had been assigned with a 1-hour window. The technician arrived about 15 minutes early. After calling to say he was on his way. It took him about 10 minutes to install the ECU. He did the firmware reinstall, refilled The windshield washer reservoir, and checked the tires. Everything took less than an hour. I have never had to take the car into a service center. All necessary service has been done at my house. I am a happy camper.

Reactions: EV3_, Allx and KJD
If you do get the retrofit installed I'll put in a recommendation for this $11 case available on everyone's favorite shopping site. (Maoershan - EVA Hard Travel Carrying Case for PYOTON Mini Portable Projector Y3). I found it over on the other CCS thread here.

The CCS adapter fits perfectly on one side and the J1772 adapter fits perfectly in the mesh pocket. And if you hate pushing on the charge door as much as I do add one of the $7 charge door remotes and hang it off the case. The case fits nicely in trunk in the well by the charge port.

PXL_20240406_222323205.MP.jpg

PXL_20240406_222259101.MP.jpg

If you do get the retrofit installed I'll put in a recommendation for this $11 case available on everyone's favorite shopping site. (Maoershan - EVA Hard Travel Carrying Case for PYOTON Mini Portable Projector Y3). I found it over on the other CCS thread here.

The CCS adapter fits perfectly on one side and the J1772 adapter fits perfectly in the mesh pocket. And if you hate pushing on the charge door as much as I do add one of the $7 charge door remotes and hang it off the case. The case fits nicely in trunk in the well by the charge port.
I ordered one of these cases yesterday and although both the CCS and J1772 adapters do fit inside, it's a bit hard to zipper the case closed. Since the J1772 is stored in the top half of the case and the CCS in the bottom, when you fold the case closed, the adapters are on top of each other. I still prefer the case which was mentioned here in the forums about a year and a half ago:

Aproca Hard Travel Storage Case for Mini Projector, ELEPHAS Portable Projector

Yes, the Aproca case is about 50% bigger but it has plenty of room inside and does not smash the adapters together:

1712528648455.png

1712528658955.png

I ordered one of these cases yesterday and although both the CCS and J1772 adapters do fit inside, it's a bit hard to zipper the case closed. Since the J1772 is stored in the top half of the case and the CCS in the bottom, when you fold the case closed, the adapters are on top of each other. I still prefer the case which was mentioned here in the forums about a year and a half ago:

Aproca Hard Travel Storage Case for Mini Projector, ELEPHAS Portable Projector

Yes, the Aproca case is about 50% bigger but it has plenty of room inside and does not smash the adapters together:

View attachment 1036533

View attachment 1036534
Interesting, mine zips right up. In fact they compress just enough that neither one moves. The other option is to stand the J1772 adapter next to the ccs adapter. My issue with that is that is you have to remove it to get to the CCS adapter. The fact that it was $7 cheaper is another bonus.

Good news is that it is nice to have options!

View attachment 1036297

View attachment 1036296
I have a cheap aliexpress EV charge cable zip-up bag that is about the same size as the one that came with my mobile connector. I use it to store my MC adapter collection and the CCS adapter. Cost is trivial. Just takes a couple weeks to arrive.

I keep it, and the mobile connector bag in the frunk. Simple and neat.

The J1772 adapter is stored in the driver's door pocket using the nifty Tesla door dock.