Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chargepoint stations at Philadelphia airport

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

T3SLA90D

Jan 5, 2017
York, PA
Anyone with a negative experience at the chargepoint stations at PHL economy parking?
I parked my car and plugged it on August 8. It charged to the pre-set limit (80%) initially. Then day after day the battery was draining about 7% a day without recharging. The battery would have drained completely at that rate by my return date (today). I called Tesla they said the drain is from the battery cooling (never had this amount of loss before). They also said the charging problem is from the source. I called chargepoint, they said no problem from the station and that after a complete charging session the station cannot charge again unless a new session is started by unplugging the cable/replace in the station/replugging in the car. I had to call the airport manager and they were nice enough to try and go physically start a new session but which did not help. Many calls were made again to chargepoint and one day it charged again another full session but the same problem occurred again after the that. Today when I returned I tried to start a new session by unplugging/replugging but no charge was obtained.

I've parked in the economy Chargepoint spots on 3 ~3 day work trips, no issues so far. Make sure you share your experience and identify the unit on Chargepoint, it may help someone out in the future, might also report it to Chargepoint as an issue if it was still having the problem after unplugging and restarting the session. I've been able to kick off a charge remotely with no issues...maybe something changed operationally. I could also put you in touch with the Director of Airport Operations if you're concerned it isn't being addressed.

I always park at Preflight Parking in Philly. They have a block of EV charging spots indoors. They are regular, 15A (maybe 20A?) outlets but are perfect if you are gone for a few days. And, unlike with chargepoint, since you are just using your UMC, if the session gets interrupted for any reason it will just resume charging on its own, just like at home.

I always park at Preflight Parking in Philly. They have a block of EV charging spots indoors. They are regular, 15A (maybe 20A?) outlets but are perfect if you are gone for a few days. And, unlike with chargepoint, since you are just using your UMC, if the session gets interrupted for any reason it will just resume charging on its own, just like at home.

Same at SeaTac out here, this seems like a much better solution, with maybe some level 2 chargers in short term parking for pickups and topping off before you head out. Level 2 chargers in long term parking doesn’t make much sense.

It's the J-1772 adapter that came with your car.

well, it looks like i was not provided with the J1772 adapter. I stopped at a J1772 charging station today, opened the large bag with adapters and a long cable with an adapter on it. i thought that was what I needed, but it would not work with the 1772 cable plugged in. Then I checked Google and found out that the proper adapter for this type of charging station just comes by itself without a cable attached so it looks like I need to purchase that. Maybe Tesla did not supply that adapter when I purchased my car in September 2017.

well, it looks like i was not provided with the J1772 adapter. I stopped at a J1772 charging station today, opened the large bag with adapters and a long cable with an adapter on it. i thought that was what I needed, but it would not work with the 1772 cable plugged in. Then I checked Google and found out that the proper adapter for this type of charging station just comes by itself without a cable attached so it looks like I need to purchase that. Maybe Tesla did not supply that adapter when I purchased my car in September 2017.

wow, you're just noticing this after 2 years ? what have you been doing to charge the car ?

• Funny
Reactions: Felickz and darxsys
The ones in the economy lot are flakey.. I have reported this in app ... No one cares. Do not depend on them.

Screenshot_20190828-224005.png

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
Check your glovebox. Maybe you put it in there and just forgot about it.

wow, you're just noticing this after 2 years ? what have you been doing to charge the car ?
yes, strange isn't it. After 2 years I have 14,000 miles on the car and a destination charger in my garage and I was one of the lucky ones getting free supercharge. I thought I should get familiar with the J 1772 as we may be taking a long trip to the South February next year. I have never charged at any other type of charger so I am quite a novice at this.

yes, strange isn't it. After 2 years I have 14,000 miles on the car and a destination charger in my garage and I was one of the lucky ones getting free supercharge. I thought I should get familiar with the J 1772 as we may be taking a long trip to the South February next year. I have never charged at any other type of charger so I am quite a novice at this.
If you never got one with your car (new, I assume), then the service center owes you one. I'm sure Devon will provide you with one (or help you find the one hidden in your car :D).

Reactions: ralph142