Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger Advice (newbie)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NM3P

Aug 17, 2019
UK
Hi all

I'm in the UK and have recently ordered a Model 3 performance. I'm confused about which charger is best and hoped someone could provide some clear advice please?

I have single-phase at home (as expected) and want to know what's the fastest way to charge a Model 3 at home? For example, if set at 32 amps, which I understand is the highest it can be at home(?), is the Tesla charger any quicker/slower than a 3rd party charger at 32 amps?

If someone could provide advice, it would be a huge help.

If by Tesla charger you mean, the Telsa wall charger, it can be plugged into a 100 AMP breaker and get up to 44 mph at home. But besides the few more mph, it think it is more valuable at charging more than 1 Tesla at a time.

Wall Connector

Attachments

• upload_2019-8-17_10-11-40.png
    upload_2019-8-17_10-11-40.png
    81.5 KB · Views: 60
Hi all

I'm in the UK and have recently ordered a Model 3 performance. I'm confused about which charger is best and hoped someone could provide some clear advice please?

I have single-phase at home (as expected) and want to know what's the fastest way to charge a Model 3 at home? For example, if set at 32 amps, which I understand is the highest it can be at home(?), is the Tesla charger any quicker/slower than a 3rd party charger at 32 amps?

If someone could provide advice, it would be a huge help.

Congratulations on your M3P!

Since you are in the UK, take a look at the UK section here:

The UK and Ireland

The UK has different electrical grid, plugs, and government grants for home charging.

Take a look at the posts by @arg, he is very well informed about charging in the UK.

GSP

PS. Any home “charger” (aka EVSE) that supplies 32 A single phase will charge your M3P at the same rate. This will be plenty fast enough for overnight charging. Tesla’s portable UMC and their Wall Connector with tethered cord are not eligible for the UK OLEV grant, but third party Type 2 outlets or tethered EVSEs are.

PPS. Here is a thread discussing home charging options in the UK:

Home charging options

Last edited:
Congratulations on your M3P!

Since you are in the UK, take a look at the UK section here:

The UK and Ireland

The UK has different electrical grid, plugs, and government grants for home charging.

Take a look at the posts by @arg, he is very well informed about charging in the UK.

GSP

PS. Any home “charger” (aka EVSE) that supplies 32 A single phase will charge your M3P at the same rate. This will be plenty fast enough for overnight charging. Tesla’s portable UMC and their Wall Connector with tethered cord are not eligible for the UK OLEV grant, but third party Type 2 outlets or tethered EVSEs are.

PPS. Here is a thread discussing home charging options in the UK:

Home charging options
Thanks, that's very helpful.

It's like asking if the orange juice tastes better from a green cup or a blue cup. There just isn't any difference. The speed of charging the battery just scales directly with the amount of Watts (which is volts times amps). So the charging speed won't make any difference if it's Tesla equipment or some other brand equipment.

The factors to be aware of with that, are knowing what power limits the different types of equipment have.

1. The installed circuit level with the wiring and breaker is one limit
2. The device that passes it to the car: The Tesla mobile charge cable that plugs into outlets can only handle 32 amps max. Some other wall mounted devices from Tesla or Clipper Creek or Bosch, etc. may handle more.
3. The onboard charger in the car. This is the device that takes that incoming AC electricity and converts it to DC for charging the battery. For the Model 3, the short or medium range batteries come with a 32A charger, and the long range batteries come with a 48A charger. So that's something to keep in mind if you have a short range car. Putting in a 60 or 80 or 100A circuit isn't buying you anything if the car's charger is capped at 32A.

Reactions: darth_vad3r
It's like asking if the orange juice tastes better from a green cup or a blue cup. There just isn't any difference. The speed of charging the battery just scales directly with the amount of Watts (which is volts times amps). So the charging speed won't make any difference if it's Tesla equipment or some other brand equipment.

The factors to be aware of with that, are knowing what power limits the different types of equipment have.

1. The installed circuit level with the wiring and breaker is one limit
2. The device that passes it to the car: The Tesla mobile charge cable that plugs into outlets can only handle 32 amps max. Some other wall mounted devices from Tesla or Clipper Creek or Bosch, etc. may handle more.
3. The onboard charger in the car. This is the device that takes that incoming AC electricity and converts it to DC for charging the battery. For the Model 3, the short or medium range batteries come with a 32A charger, and the long range batteries come with a 48A charger. So that's something to keep in mind if you have a short range car. Putting in a 60 or 80 or 100A circuit isn't buying you anything if the car's charger is capped at 32A.

LOL, the blue cup is better!

Except don’t some of those ‘blokes’ across the pond (where OP is) have 48A chargers even for SR+ because of handling 3-phase public charging infrastructure? Are they shipping SR+’s over there yet? Let’s say when they eventually do if not, don’t they need the 3 x 16A chargers? I dunno how it works.

Except don’t some of those ‘blokes’ across the pond (where OP is) have 48A chargers even for SR+ because of handling 3-phase public charging infrastructure? Are they shipping SR+’s over there yet? Let’s say when they eventually do if not, don’t they need the 3 x 16A chargers? I dunno how it works.
Oh, that might be true, since they do usually need that 3 phase capability in Europe. Model 3 shipments to Europe are so new that I haven't heard much about that yet.