Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger "disconnects" after 100%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today marks two weeks with my Model S. I didn't have a NEMA 14-50 installed until last weekend, and relied mostly on superchargers and Level 2 chargers for the first week of ownership. Now that I do most of my charging at home, I noticed the car has a weird tendency. I have a software limited 60, and I have it set to charge to 100%. After the car is fully charged it will say "charging complete" for about 3 hours and then change to an error message that states the cord is not inserted all the way and I need to close the charge port door and re-insert the charger (the charge port at this point is orange indicating a bad connection). Anyone else know if this is normal or should I be contacting Tesla?
I'm going to try to get pictures of it today when I get home from work.

Does this happen frequently or was it a one-off? I parked at the Doubletree in Fresno the other day and had a somewhat similar thing happen. My sequence of events was that I set the charge to 90% before I went to bed (destination charger), then when I woke up I bumped it up to 100% since I had to make a 220 rated trip mile on my S70. Once it hit 100%, I got a message on my Tesla app that the charge port was open. Walked out and the port was orange but sure enough it was at 100%.

I've charged there other times without this happening, this was a first. I attributed it to a "software quirk" and carried on, but if it's happening multiple times for you I agree I'd probably reach out to the service center.

Tesla's support team is "looking into it" but it happens to me daily.

Attachments

• IMG_0247.JPG
    IMG_0247.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 46