TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Charger "disconnects" after 100%

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by hillestadk, Dec 12, 2016.

1. hillestadk

hillestadk Member

Today marks two weeks with my Model S. I didn't have a NEMA 14-50 installed until last weekend, and relied mostly on superchargers and Level 2 chargers for the first week of ownership. Now that I do most of my charging at home, I noticed the car has a weird tendency. I have a software limited 60, and I have it set to charge to 100%. After the car is fully charged it will say "charging complete" for about 3 hours and then change to an error message that states the cord is not inserted all the way and I need to close the charge port door and re-insert the charger (the charge port at this point is orange indicating a bad connection). Anyone else know if this is normal or should I be contacting Tesla?
    I'm going to try to get pictures of it today when I get home from work.

2. GJ79

GJ79 Member

I don't have a Software limited 60 but that can not be normal. A regular charging session should never result in an error. You should call Tesla Support.

3. Zeromus-X

Zeromus-X Member

Does this happen frequently or was it a one-off? I parked at the Doubletree in Fresno the other day and had a somewhat similar thing happen. My sequence of events was that I set the charge to 90% before I went to bed (destination charger), then when I woke up I bumped it up to 100% since I had to make a 220 rated trip mile on my S70. Once it hit 100%, I got a message on my Tesla app that the charge port was open. Walked out and the port was orange but sure enough it was at 100%.

I've charged there other times without this happening, this was a first. I attributed it to a "software quirk" and carried on, but if it's happening multiple times for you I agree I'd probably reach out to the service center.

4. hillestadk

hillestadk Member

Tesla's support team is "looking into it" but it happens to me daily.

Attached Files: